Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 07:22 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
People are mamals. All mammals, in fact, all living beings have certain characteristics of their genetic makeup.

Once old enough, our brains (unless we are sociopaths), know the difference between right and wrong, how to be cruel or kind. It is the character, being sick in the head, or a learned (twisted) behaviour of each individual that decides to be cruel to animals or other humans.

Personally, like Trimac20, I'd like to run people over if I saw them purposely running over turtles.

As for religion, some religions are more cruel to animals (sacrifices) than non-religious people. I have very religious "born again" Christian neighbors who don't give a flip about their animals. He shot their dog for getting into porcupine quills, (too cheap to take it to the vet)but shooting it didn't kill it. He left it to suffer until his other neighbor found it laying on a dirt bank beside the road and took care of putting it out of its misery.
Unfortunately Christianity doesn't talk about being kind to animals. I wish it did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 08:20 PM

571 posts, read 1,200,941 times
Nature is not only unkind, it is vicious.

And this is one of the stupidest "experiments"/"observations" I've ever heard of. Can't believe Yahoo! ran an article on it.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:54 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,563,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelcake4 View Post
Nature is not only unkind, it is vicious.

And this is one of the stupidest "experiments"/"observations" I've ever heard of. Can't believe Yahoo! ran an article on it.
Feel free to post your own.

Old 12-29-2012, 06:43 AM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,387,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
I would have said it's because we are ruled by fear, but this story says it's something else. Power over someone or something else?

College student's turtle project takes dark twist - Yahoo! News

I will not harm an animal if I can avoid it, I don't understand this at all. Perhaps this is a reason why we need religion, to teach us to be kind and considerate of all beings.
People are seldom more senselessly cruel than when they feel justified being so in the name of religion. (September 11th, anyone?)
Many agnostics and atheists live with more genuine ethical behavior than many religious people can even begin to muster.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:53 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,115 times
This is not confined to turtles.
Try walking or riding a bicycle in the same area where the plastic turtles were assaulted. Im sure the results--while not as deadly- -would only reinforce how uncaring and apathetic humans are to other humans.
A species that has no regard for its own certainly has no regard for any other species they feel they are above. Even supposed Christians will say man has dominion over beast and that they were put here for us to eat. As I get older, I should be getting more jaded to it, but the opposite is occurring. I understand this violent mindset less and less. Kill an animal for 10 minutes of selfish indulgence by way of a meal, or upset a whole ecosystem to build a WAL*MART . . . I will never understand the mindset that approves of destroying nature for convenience or gratuitous self-indulgence.

A society may be judged by the way it treats its most vulnerable.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:01 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,415,160 times
People are basically very insecure, very selfish and like to have power over something.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:10 AM

215 posts, read 182,344 times
Lord of the flies.

Too many people on the planet.

What happens when you put too many pigs or chickens in the same area? They start killing each other. I believe the same thing is happening in America.

That's why - let's take guns, for instance or violent crime in general - in these dense, packed inner cities such appalling violent crimes occur daily; still, in the middle of nowhere rural America, people have weapons of the most lethal kind and they aren't offing each other. Same is going on on a global scale. Nation doesn't have enough natural resources, what do they do? Attack another nation and enslave, rob and pillage for needed resources.

"Lord of the flies" is my theory.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:13 AM

215 posts, read 182,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
This is not confined to turtles.
Try walking or riding a bicycle in the same area where the plastic turtles were assaulted. Im sure the results--while not as deadly- -would only reinforce how uncaring and apathetic humans are to other humans.
A species that has no regard for its own certainly has no regard for any other species they feel they are above. Even supposed Christians will say man has dominion over beast and that they were put here for us to eat. As I get older, I should be getting more jaded to it, but the opposite is occurring. I understand this violent mindset less and less. Kill an animal for 10 minutes of selfish indulgence by way of a meal, or upset a whole ecosystem to build a WAL*MART . . . I will never understand the mindset that approves of destroying nature for convenience or gratuitous self-indulgence.

A society may be judged by the way it treats its most vulnerable.
Why in the world people are bringing the execution of animals into this is laughable.

You realize that in places of the world that certain races wouldn't even be alive today if not for the killing of "game" for meat - to survive?

Go to some of the harshest climates on the planet where growing of crops is simply not sustainable and you will understand. This has been going on for millennia.

Damn PETA people.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:20 AM

831 posts, read 1,964,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptic View Post
Why in the world people are bringing the execution of animals into this is laughable.

Damn PETA people.
No one is comparing killing animals for food as a means of survival to killing them to amuse oneself for a thoughtless, callous moment of gratuitous violence. The previous poster noted that as they are becoming more self-aware, maybe they are becoming more aware of this on the whole.

No one started on the 'tofu for the masses!' kick.

Normal people can tell the difference and understand there is a need for food, and have a conscientious objection to it. However for being inhumane (whatever that means), there is no NEED. Period.

Damn ignoramuses.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:43 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptic View Post

You realize that in places of the world that certain races wouldn't even be alive today if not for the killing of "game" for meat - to survive?

Go to some of the harshest climates on the planet where growing of crops is simply not sustainable and you will understand. This has been going on for millennia.

Damn PETA people.

In an abstract way I dont think you would ever understand, you are making my point for me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature