Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 11:47 AM

31,374 posts, read 20,110,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Our son and his GF found a five week old coon on the side of the road, abandoned, and brought it home. At first they bottle fed it, then fed him cat food. They named him Ronnie. We don't have rabies up in this area (too cold), they kept him with them in their room with them. Slept like a baby on their bed with their cats. He either used a news paper to go on, or they took him outside to do his business, but one day toilet trained himself to urinate in the toilet after watching our son using the toilet one day. Unbelievable how smart they are. He rode with them in the car and looked out the window like a dog. They even took him camping and he would scamper around, but rarely wandered far from them.

Once he was older, we fixed up a stall in our barn for him, kept him in there for his own safety for 6 months and slowly released him to the wild. He never turned mean and bit anyone, but he would warn you if he was eating, and you learned to listen and respect.

He thrived in the wild, but came almost every day up onto our deck to eat our leftovers, cat food and black sunflower seeds. He also loved hotdogs. He started showing up with a female and one baby. (maybe it was his?) One day when he was 23, he just stopped coming, and we don't know if he was killed by something, or someone, or wandered away. We miss him a lot, but we now have other wild coons coming up onto our deck for their evening treats.
What a nice relationship you managed to forge, to the benefit of all.

My sister has a similar one with a couple of her released coons. They visit semi-regularly but spend 98% of the time doing what raccoons do in the wild. But it's always a treat to see, and spend a little time with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 06:11 AM

8,565 posts, read 12,351,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Our son and his GF found a five week old coon on the side of the road, abandoned, and brought it home. At first they bottle fed it, then fed him cat food. They named him Ronnie. We don't have rabies up in this area (too cold), they kept him with them in their room with them. Slept like a baby on their bed with their cats. He either used a news paper to go on, or they took him outside to do his business, but one day toilet trained himself to urinate in the toilet after watching our son using the toilet one day. Unbelievable how smart they are. He rode with them in the car and looked out the window like a dog. They even took him camping and he would scamper around, but rarely wandered far from them.

Once he was older, we fixed up a stall in our barn for him, kept him in there for his own safety for 6 months and slowly released him to the wild. He never turned mean and bit anyone, but he would warn you if he was eating, and you learned to listen and respect.

He thrived in the wild, but came almost every day up onto our deck to eat our leftovers, cat food and black sunflower seeds. He also loved hotdogs. He started showing up with a female and one baby. (maybe it was his?) One day when he was 23, he just stopped coming, and we don't know if he was killed by something, or someone, or wandered away. We miss him a lot, but we now have other wild coons coming up onto our deck for their evening treats.
Nice story...but your son is shacked up with his girlfriend and he still lives at home?

Also, raccoons don't live to be 23 so I have to wonder what you meant.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:05 AM

16,489 posts, read 24,446,129 times
^^^ I wondered about that too, raccoons don't live to be 23 years old.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:57 AM

11,068 posts, read 17,476,529 times
Back in the day, as someone has said, when there were still small mom and pop grocery stores, a couple who had one of these stores also had a pet racoon. They lived in the back of the store and always kept the door between house and store tightly shut to keep the pet coon out. Somehow, one night while they were out, the coon discovered that someone hadn't shut the door like they should have and went exploring! They came home to a mess of broken jars and paw prints on every bit of the meat! Had to throw it all away and with no insurance covering animals getting in the meat department. lol

Old 06-21-2013, 05:54 AM

23,456 posts, read 17,142,386 times
As for longevity, a friend had a female raccoon that was 17..... before human vandals broke into the cage and Smacky disappeared.

My guy was 11 years old when he suddenly died.

Statistically they live 1.5 yrs in the wild.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:43 PM

9,086 posts, read 1,457,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ1252 View Post
Thank you - I really enjoyed your pics - Its impossible not to love something with fur and 4 legs.
They are so cute! I have to agree with you PJ1252, there are very few four legged furry creature that i don't find adorable.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:06 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,861,145 times
I tossed some stale rolls out into the backyard last evening - for the birds, squirrels, and chipmunks, I thought.

Instead, when I was closing up the house around 11:00, I discovered a young raccoon, standing on his hind legs and chowing down on a roll with both hands! He was the first raccoon I've spotted this season - probably born last fall or in late summer, I'd guess.

About that time, my cat, whom I'd let out for a brief pre-bedtime break just five minutes before, came around the corner, and the 'coon, who was about the same size and who shared my tabby's stripes, retreated to the darkened, shady part of the yard where the floodlight doesn't shine. The cat came in with no coaxing, tail all puffed up - seems each of the striped ones had spooked the other!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature