U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 11:14 AM

6,441 posts, read 4,654,778 times

Advertisements

Right now mama eagle is feeding baby some of a great big fish! I'm hooked on this live cam! Thanks jbtx!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Tin Man View Post
Every since I got out of Florida last April I have not kept up on much going.
From going back into the 1980's Florida Power and Light all over the State as I understand started this Eco friendly thing.. while driving in Florida take notice of major power lines and where they cross. Some poles will have these great long spikes keeping all birds from roosting at that termination - junction. Then when your near a body of water fresh or salt -marsh - notice the very tall power poles this includes the giant towers.. you will see grid work platforms for the birds too roost on. Eagles -Osprey - Great Blue Heron - Sand Hill Cranes all your large birds..
Dallas Kitty not know how long you have been gone form the area. Port Saint John Power Plant the one on the river. They blew it up.. the smoke stacks 2010. Tore down and are rebuilding.They built a small building just north of the old plant. The only purpose of the new building is too heat water and dump back into the river.. to keep the manatee warm during the winter. I guess this temporary till the new power plant is only line.
Got your DM, TN Tin Man, but CD says you've opted to not receive them. Go fix those settings! I left Titusville in 1976 so have missed a lot. I'm impressed with a power company making efforts for our flying friends and warm water for the manatees is excellent! Thanks for the info!

Edit: Oh boy! Went back for a peek and mama is on another edge of the nest pulling pieces from something with little legs kicking!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 05:22 PM

24,109 posts, read 24,207,579 times
I should have mentioned on these platform you will see them only on the East Coast -West Coast and down the middle of the State of Florida following the Saint Johns river basin down too Okeechobee and the Everglade Glades and 20-30 miles on either side of these primary fly ways for the migratory birds, Florida has 3 fly ways for migrations. Really 4 Yucatan Peninsula over too the Pan Handle for Hummingbirds come up from South America.

Old 01-09-2013, 05:30 AM

3,442 posts, read 5,870,834 times
IMO the eagles are the most majestic of animals. We have many pair here now in Maine and I had the thrill about a year ago of seeing a pair high in the sky fly over as I was sitting in my upstairs computer room. I live in a very populated part of town where the houses are close together, so I never expected to see this. I am guessing they were headed down to the river, which is about a mile from my house.

We often see the nests on the high utility polls along parts of the interstate. I have on occasion seen the birds on them.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:43 PM

484 posts, read 1,456,671 times
E1 & E2 are now a little over week old, if they make it another week their survival prospects will look better. Papa eagle seems to be able to provide a healthy daily menu, although a few days ago the meat of the day looked a lot like someone's kitty cat.

I love this cam site. Nature at its best.

Old 01-16-2013, 04:17 PM

Just now got a good look straight into mama's face for the first time. The eaglets are on the side close to camera with mama facing camera. She is beautiful! I don't look in every day but have not yet seen papa. The eaglets get plenty to eat, no doubt about that.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:17 PM

I've peeked in twice today and both times mama was not in the nest. Right now the eaglets are hobbling around the nest looking hungry. I sure hope mama and papa are okay. Will keep looking in.

Edit: Yippee! She's back! There's a fish on one side but she's busy pushing her beak deep into the nest here and there and tugging up bits of something. I'm interested to know what that's about.

I was away for a few minutes and now mama is grooming her gorgeous feathers!

Last edited by Dallas Kitty; 01-19-2013 at 12:32 PM..

Old 01-19-2013, 12:46 PM

27,091 posts, read 7,580,332 times
Thanks for posting live cam... saved!

Saw one owlet moving his fuzzy little head...

Old 01-21-2013, 10:27 AM

484 posts, read 1,456,671 times
"Saw one owlet moving his fuzzy little head..."

owlet??? These are eagles, not owls.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:45 PM

24,109 posts, read 24,207,579 times
More Eagles this clip I know is from Tennessee but some great shots..

TN Wild Side-History of Eagles in Tennessee - YouTube

Old 01-21-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Tin Man View Post
More Eagles this clip I know is from Tennessee but some great shots..

TN Wild Side-History of Eagles in Tennessee - YouTube
We have a sad history of destroying wildlife and vegetation with DDT. Imagine the Bald Eagle being extinct. Nice comeback for our beautiful Eagle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or