U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-05-2013, 11:16 AM
 
Location: Corpus Christi
484 posts, read 1,451,319 times
Reputation: 472

Advertisements

I thought this was fascinating.

USTREAM - You're On - Broadcast Live Streaming Video, Watch Online Events, Chat Live, send a Tweet, follow on Facebook, MySpace, record your Live Shows
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-05-2013, 12:34 PM
 
Location: Corpus Christi
484 posts, read 1,451,319 times
Reputation: 472
I heard that these birds have been nesting here for 5 years and the property owner decided to install the web cam this year. They named the parent birds Ozzy and Harriet.

It's interesting to watch the mother bird feed the baby eaglets, Papa bird seems to be a good hunter/provider. There appears to be some kind of a small animal carcass, (maybe a rabbit), and as well as a fish in the nest. Maybe eagles just like sushi.

In any case,,, enjoy!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2013, 05:35 PM
 
6,441 posts, read 4,647,703 times
Reputation: 13553

Bookmarked! I'll be checking in on this! Thanks for the link, jbtx!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2013, 08:18 PM
 
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow in "OZ "
24,101 posts, read 24,166,197 times
Reputation: 31274
My years at the Space Center we had several active pairs of Eagles. The main nest the size of a up side down VW weight approximately 2500 pounds an age 30 years..was heavily monitored by remote camera during shuttle launch operations being approximately 6-7 miles from launch complex 39 A&B. The first year they installed the cameras the eagles ripped out the cabling. They wanted their privacy. The following year they used armaflex cable.. the birds got around that. They would back up too the camera next too the nest and block the view. The following year they moved the remote camera further from the nest.. again the Eagles would perch between the nest and camera blocking the view..They put the camera in the adjacent tree with telephoto lens that worked.
The very large white building in the background is the Vehicle Assembly Building were the Shuttle was stacked and prepared for roll out too the launch pads 3 miles way..
http://www.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/...n_92pc1152.jpg <<< Look close for the chicks..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2013, 12:12 AM
 
Location: Corpus Christi
484 posts, read 1,451,319 times
Reputation: 472
That's a great picture, Tin Man. Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2013, 04:17 AM
 
6,441 posts, read 4,647,703 times
Reputation: 13553
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Tin Man View Post
My years at the Space Center we had several active pairs of Eagles. The main nest the size of a up side down VW weight approximately 2500 pounds an age 30 years..was heavily monitored by remote camera during shuttle launch operations being approximately 6-7 miles from launch complex 39 A&B. The first year they installed the cameras the eagles ripped out the cabling. They wanted their privacy. The following year they used armaflex cable.. the birds got around that. They would back up too the camera next too the nest and block the view. The following year they moved the remote camera further from the nest.. again the Eagles would perch between the nest and camera blocking the view..They put the camera in the adjacent tree with telephoto lens that worked.
The very large white building in the background is the Vehicle Assembly Building were the Shuttle was stacked and prepared for roll out too the launch pads 3 miles way..
http://www.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/...n_92pc1152.jpg <<< Look close for the chicks..
Terrific story, TN Tin Man! Beautiful birds and an awesome nest!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2013, 04:35 AM
 
6,441 posts, read 4,647,703 times
Reputation: 13553
How interesting to watch an eagle caring for it's young. As I clicked over, she was just checking on the eaglets, a little touch and peck here and there. Then she reached to the side of the nest and pulled up what I thought was some of the nest pieces .... until I saw it kicking! She put one claw on it and pulled off a piece or two, ate and then settled on the eaglets. Must be warm and cozy under mom's chest!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2013, 05:58 PM
 
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow in "OZ "
24,101 posts, read 24,166,197 times
Reputation: 31274
At any gave time during mating season and Eagles mate for life they had 5-6 pairs on the Space Center. People not knowing would confuse the Eagles with Osprey which at the Space Center was like sea gulls.. At the Space and around Florida Florida Power and Light made great attempts too build large metal grids four foot by four foot on top of utility poles for the Osprey to build their nest on. The Birds & Animals & reptiles at the Space Center were very closely monitored.


http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Osprey/id
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2013, 03:57 AM
 
6,441 posts, read 4,647,703 times
Reputation: 13553
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Tin Man View Post
At any gave time during mating season and Eagles mate for life they had 5-6 pairs on the Space Center. People not knowing would confuse the Eagles with Osprey which at the Space Center was like sea gulls.. At the Space and around Florida Florida Power and Light made great attempts too build large metal grids four foot by four foot on top of utility poles for the Osprey to build their nest on. The Birds & Animals & reptiles at the Space Center were very closely monitored.


Osprey, Identification, All About Birds - Cornell Lab of Ornithology
I'm from Titusville and didn't know about the FPL grids. Keep the info coming, TN Tin Man!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2013, 10:51 AM
 
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow in "OZ "
24,101 posts, read 24,166,197 times
Reputation: 31274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Kitty View Post
I'm from Titusville and didn't know about the FPL grids. Keep the info coming, TN Tin Man!
Every since I got out of Florida last April I have not kept up on much going.
From going back into the 1980's Florida Power and Light all over the State as I understand started this Eco friendly thing.. while driving in Florida take notice of major power lines and where they cross. Some poles will have these great long spikes keeping all birds from roosting at that termination - junction. Then when your near a body of water fresh or salt -marsh - notice the very tall power poles this includes the giant towers.. you will see grid work platforms for the birds too roost on. Eagles -Osprey - Great Blue Heron - Sand Hill Cranes all your large birds..
Dallas Kitty not know how long you have been gone form the area. Port Saint John Power Plant the one on the river. They blew it up.. the smoke stacks 2010. Tore down and are rebuilding.They built a small building just north of the old plant. The only purpose of the new building is too heat water and dump back into the river.. to keep the manatee warm during the winter. I guess this temporary till the new power plant is only line.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top