Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 02:20 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESFP View Post
I lived in WV and the DNR (I think) released tons of them to kill the Gypsy Moths. They would come in the house in droves, making it look like an Alfred Hitchcock movie. They would be so thick they'd block the sun through the windows. They sting and stink and the walls would be moving with thousands of them. We'd fill our vacuume cleaner every day with dead ones. My neighbor's wife moved because of them. I used to like them but now, they're on the same list as cockroaches. Ugh!
I use a electric leaf blower to give them the boot in the right direction. You could use a gas powered one – but the fumes would stink up your house (if not give you carbon monoxide poisoning).

The lady bugs or or their Asian look alike would infest our garage in late fall (when the temperatures started to drop). Most of the time they swarmed inside - near the garage doors. The leaf blower was perfect to shoo them out of our house. Of course I don't think our neighbors appreciated this maneuver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 06:27 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,370,438 times
1x/year, on an especially warm October day, poof ! Ladybugs everywhere, swarms appear overnight.

Since it's brief and rare, it doesn't really interfere with my life-it's not so severe and intense as to cause me major problems.
Fortunately, they disappear within short order, so I don't really mind the temporary weirdness of their ubiquity-being colonized by invaders
Ladybugs don't frighten me the way other bugs do. They're easier to catch & release: just grab a receipt paper, scoop up a few, open the window screen, & they fly out.
These photos were taken today, outside my door/porch & window:

Old 10-15-2014, 12:30 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Last fall I trapped and released three or four hundred of the wee beasties over the span of a week or so. Yesterday, they started appearing again.

If it's no worse than last fall, I can deal with a bit of nuisance. Glad they don't appear in the numbers some folks have mentioned.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:54 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,370,438 times
Found my post on this phenomenon from 2 years ago (back when I had no pictures to document it)-
Oct. 15 that year (8 days before Oct. 23, when I made the post), compared with Oct. 14 this year.
//www.city-data.com/forum/26639028-post3139.html

As usual, within a day the mass of ladybugs had dissipated, almost as if it had never happened-but I have the photos this time around.
Have only seen a few since then, the "annual ladybug migration/explosion/proliferation event".
I did help them out a bit with finding their way back outside when they accidentally ended up indoors.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:07 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,776,621 times
Y'all are nicer than I am. I don't release them - they'd just find their way back inside anyway. I kill them. I'm at over 100 kills so far this week. If they invade my home, the penalty is death. I know it won't teach the rest of 'em a lesson, but it will at least keep my home bug-free. I feel dirty when there are bugs in my house.

Old 10-18-2014, 07:25 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,924,139 times
Ladybugs are relatively rare where I live (Long Island, NY). Having said that, 2 days ago, I noticed a ladybug on my right shoulder as I was walking into work. She stayed there until I got to my desk & then flew up to the ceiling where she stayed for the rest of the day. The following morning she was gone!

Old 10-18-2014, 08:49 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,589,304 times
They are just looking or a place to spend the winter and by the sounds of it they like sleeping in your house. I had them at my old house too. Loads of entertainment for the cat. Since they don't cause any dammage or trouble I never really minded them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature