Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2013, 11:45 AM

30,516 posts, read 16,213,477 times

Advertisements

wasn't sure if I should post it here or on the book forum but decided it'd get lost there.

It's about the current generation's 'nature deficit disorder'.

I just got it from the library but wondering if it's just a lot of 'let's feel sorry for the kids' stuff?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 02:55 PM

515 posts, read 778,170 times
From what I've read about it, it's about getting kids out of the house, away from the couch and TV or video games, to promote a healthier lifestyle and teach them about nature.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:48 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,625,436 times
It's a very good book, with a lot of talk about the developmental benefits of not only being exposed to nature and the outdoors, but specifically to unstructured play and observation in the outdoors.

It does become a bit redundant after a while, there are only so many times you can read the same statistics rewarmed to support a thesis. However, it's a good book and I recommend it.

Along the same lines is a book by Rick Van Noy called 'A Natural Sense of Wonder'. It addresses a lot of the same things but gives more concrete examples of how he was exposed to the outdoors as a child, and how he goes on to expose his own kids to the outdoors.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:45 PM

30,516 posts, read 16,213,477 times
thanks for the recommendation

I'll have the library search for it when I return Last Child.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:53 PM

524 posts, read 843,554 times
There is a very interesting man named Dr. Mel Levine who supports the theory that children need to play outside unsupervised to build imaginative play and problem solving skills. I went to one of his lectures where he told the story of big companies looking for a commonality in young people with brainstorming skills. They looked at SAT scores, GPAs and teaching methods at the schools these brainstormers had attended but couldn't find the link. Finally the companies discovered that all of these brainstormers had a shared childhood experience of playing outside using imaginative play. Who knew that pretending to be pirates out in the field might help a person be a better thinking adult, but evidence seems to support the theory.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:15 PM

515 posts, read 778,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantress View Post
There is a very interesting man named Dr. Mel Levine who supports the theory that children need to play outside unsupervised to build imaginative play and problem solving skills. I went to one of his lectures where he told the story of big companies looking for a commonality in young people with brainstorming skills. They looked at SAT scores, GPAs and teaching methods at the schools these brainstormers had attended but couldn't find the link. Finally the companies discovered that all of these brainstormers had a shared childhood experience of playing outside using imaginative play. Who knew that pretending to be pirates out in the field might help a person be a better thinking adult, but evidence seems to support the theory.
Growing up in a small house in WV with 14 siblings, the only time we were allowed in the house was to eat or sleep. Climbing trees, swinging on grape vines, wading creeks, catching frogs, snakes and lizards was just another day in the neighborhood. Who knew then that it would help me in my adult life and in my decision making? Good Post!

Old 01-17-2013, 11:32 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,644,222 times
Being outside in a natural setting often can afford children a happier, more mentally stable development. But that depends on their parents or other caretakers also...how stable and happy a home they have, whether there's kindness and nurturing given by those closest to them. I look back on years early on in small towns and rural areas...even on the fringes of a city as being good, although we were poor economically. In those days, our parents wanted us close by, but outdoor play and even exploring nearby was often encouraged. Later we lived more into an actual city, the family had a little bit of economic security for the first time, but we weren't untouched by the drawbacks of city living. Children are more likely to be affected by being around individuals with sick minds, for one thing. Not that it couldn't happen in the country, mind you. Just more likely when so many people are living close by. Statistically the dangers are much more. I live in a fairly rural area now and prefer it. Nature did always seemed to appeal to me. It really seems to me that the way our population in this country has increased so much can't be a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature