Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2013, 10:51 PM

5,355 posts, read 5,129,553 times

Advertisements

What if carrots were as numerous and invasive as dandelions, would you consider them a weed? What if Redwoods were taking over the American West or Mountain Ash taking over Australia - would people try to contain and confine them?
Conversely is a plant that's noninvasive, but annoying (pokey, poisonous, ugly) a weed?
Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 11:44 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,938,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
What if carrots were as numerous and invasive as dandelions, would you consider them a weed? What if Redwoods were taking over the American West or Mountain Ash taking over Australia - would people try to contain and confine them?
Conversely is a plant that's noninvasive, but annoying (pokey, poisonous, ugly) a weed?
Thoughts?
Many invasive species are introduced by people who initially view them as attractive or useful. They are most certainly considered weeds. Your state government likely keeps a list of invasive plants deemed noxious or prohibited. You'd be surprised how many were introduced as ornamentals. Conversely, ugly poisonous plants are not necessarily weeds.

A weed is essentially a plant that's detrimental to the health of an ecosystem.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:35 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
No----- the real definition of a weed is "something growing where you don't it to". A japanese maple can be considered a weed if it is not wanted.

here in the South kudzu was planted as erosion preventative and thought to be so wonderful until it took over the world. One of the worse Japanese imports ever!

Old 01-15-2013, 03:32 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Weed is in the eye of the beholder.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:10 PM

16,904 posts, read 16,123,046 times
There is no such thing as a "weed".

Old 01-16-2013, 10:04 PM

23,595 posts, read 70,391,434 times
"There is no such thing as a "weed"."

Heh. Not at the college I went to.

Dandelion does grow everywhere. It just reverts back to the wild state quickly.

Invasives often upset the existing balance of the ecosystems. Weeds are just annoying volunteers where man is trying to grow a monoculture or maximize growth of other particular plants.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:41 AM

20,382 posts, read 14,651,390 times
This was interesting up in western Washington where I lived for a while. There are some kind of blackberries or raspberries that are the scourge of my sanity up there. These things would turn your property into a giant bramble patch if you let them. I believe they were imported. They send runners under/through fences from wooded areas into yards, and then a vine will sneak along the ground and root itself in at both ends, you'll be walking and it will literally trip you and it's covered in thorns. Worst is their resilience. The more you abuse them, the more aggressively they grow and reproduce. So hacking, mangling, cutting, even burning...all bad ideas. The best control method I guess, is renting goats to eat them.

And then there were all my neighbors who thought that moss was undesirable for ground cover in the front yard. Silly people and their silly grass. The natural moss is so much greener year round up there, and softer too. I don't get the love of grass that people have. I'm in Colorado now, and I'm about to replace the grass in my yard by planting native ROCKS.

Old 01-17-2013, 03:01 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I planted anemonies at my old house, which were beautiful at the end of summer when other things had gone by, but they totally took ove rhte flowerbed. every spring I hacked out tons of it, hoping to kill it, but it came back stronger than ever.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:34 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,398,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I planted anemonies at my old house, which were beautiful at the end of summer when other things had gone by, but they totally took ove rhte flowerbed. every spring I hacked out tons of it, hoping to kill it, but it came back stronger than ever.
What kind of anemones?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature