Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 12:44 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times

Advertisements

What are 10 animals you want to see in the wild, in their natural habitat, before you die?

Mine would be:

Tiger
African Elephant
Lion
Rhino (any species)
Polar Bear or Grizzly Bear
Bison
Saltwater Crocodile
Mountain Gorilla
Orang Utan
Blue Whale

While I've seen all of these species bar the Blue Whale in captivity, I've only seen the Saltwater Crocodile in the wild. I've yet to even see a bear in the wild as I'm from Australia. I have been to an Orang utan sanctuary however, and have seen other species of whales in the wild.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 08:55 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,223,758 times
Being a realist, I am very unlikely to ever travel to Africa, Asia, or for that matter, any place outside of North America. That being so, my list would be limited to the big predators, since I have seen all of the hoofed animals of NA with the exception of the moose, caribou, and musk oxen. Top of the list are the big bears, with a Yellowstone or Glacier NP grizzly number one. A trip to Alaska and it's coastal grizzlies, or brown bears as they are commonly called, would also be a thrill. Next would be a wild cougar. Have never spotted one in spite of having wandered in cougar territory for many years. Wolves also are on the list. If I can ever make my long planned trip back to Yellowstone, and this time hike into it's backcountry, grizzlies and wolves are possible, although a cougar is unlikely.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:01 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
I'd be pretty scared to see some of these animals, but it must be amazing to actually see them.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:02 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
What are 10 animals you want to see in the wild, in their natural habitat, before you die?

Mine would be:

Tiger
African Elephant
Lion
Rhino (any species)
Bison
Saltwater Crocodile
Mountain Gorilla
Orang Utan
Blue Whale

While I've seen all of these species bar the Blue Whale in captivity, I've only seen the Saltwater Crocodile in the wild. I've yet to even see a bear in the wild as I'm from Australia. I have been to an Orang utan sanctuary however, and have seen other species of whales in the wild.
Big bears run rampant in Alaska but I'd be careful.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:27 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Quote:

Mine would be:

Tiger
African Elephant
Lion
Rhino (any species)
Bison
Saltwater Crocodile
Mountain Gorilla
Orang Utan
Blue Whale

I've seen bison plenty of times and in the summer of 2011 I actually saw four grizzly bears in less than an hour. The rest of these I haven't seen.

My top ten would be:

Elephant (either species)
Cape Buffalo
Lion
Hyena (mostly just to hear them laugh)
Orca
Gorilla
Jaguar
Tiger
Mountain Lion (even though they are around where I live)
Polar Bear

Old 12-16-2012, 08:51 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times
I'm happy to see these animals with photography. I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, but if everyone overran shrinking habitats to see more animals in the wild the destruciton would be difficult to quantify and impossible to justify.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:18 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
I'm happy to see these animals with photography. I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, but if everyone overran shrinking habitats to see more animals in the wild the destruciton would be difficult to quantify and impossible to justify.
We also have zoos. I guess sort of thankfully more people would rather laze on the beach than go hunting for wildlife, although ironically eco-tourism is both a help and a threat for many species'.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:26 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times
Quote:
We also have zoos. I guess sort of thankfully more people would rather laze on the beach than go hunting for wildlife, although ironically eco-tourism is both a help and a threat for many species'.
Right, but your question was about "in the wild." I don't call standing in a zoo with the spouse and kids, a camera around the neck and an ice cream dripping down one's arm, a few yards from a bathroom, an air conditioned restaurant, and the car - in the wild.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:37 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
When I studied in Africa, I saw the so-called "Big 5" in their natural habitat, in Krueger Park, as well as lots of other animals besides black rhino, elephants, lions, Cape buffalo, and leopard. There are a lot of animals that are a lot more interesting to observe than Cape buffalo, trust me.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:49 AM

2,707 posts, read 2,837,936 times
Giraffe, and a blue whale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature