U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 06:27 PM

3,110 posts, read 4,952,438 times

Advertisements

I think I found a solution to mischievous and pesky Redheaded woodpeckers drinking all my hummingbird nectar. I love birds, so I don't want to harm the pesky guys... but they sit on the side of the feeder, flip off the little white protectors, and they can empty a full feeder in less than an hour! I think mine are sugar addicts... And once one of them discovers a feeder, they bring all their friends! PARTY @ Cowgirls!!!

See pictures of them here.

They always fly away when I stand in the window. So I got this bright idea the other day: I took a picture of my face and blew it up to actual size. Then I taped it on the window right where I usually stand. It's working!!! Hey - if it scares birds, maybe it will scare burglars as well! And small children!

The hummingbirds don't seem to mind...

Just thought I'd share -- it seems to be a huge problem with hummer feeders.

ps - thanks GloryB for the smiley
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 03:36 AM

16,481 posts, read 22,860,314 times
Good idea although it is probably a temporary solution. As soon as animals figure out it is nothing to be scared of they go back to their naughty ways.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:43 AM

515 posts, read 715,556 times
Ahhhh, you've re-invented the scare crow.........sort of....;>)

Old 01-30-2013, 01:36 PM

24,210 posts, read 25,226,502 times
How to Avoid Woodpeckers at a Hummingbird Feeder | eHow.com

Old 01-30-2013, 04:16 PM

Thanks Tin Man! I tried cutting off all the perches, it hung upside down with one claw inside one of the feeder holes, wrapped itself around and drank from the other side. I've tried putting a CD on the top and it only scared the hummers away. The woodpecker was unfazed. I bought one of those round disk-like feeders. The ants LOVED it. There's no way to put water in a moat at the top to keep them from going in. The Arizona Gila woodpecker is a real piece of work. A study in how intelligent birds are. The article says the hole for the hummingbird should be only big enough for a hummer's beak... they have obviously not watched these guys. They figure out how to make the hole bigger if they need to. Acrobatic little twits, too! The noise is to advertise that they've found sugar I'd bet! These are Gila Woodpeckers, a little smaller than other types. They have an interesting loopy flight pattern when they fly to and from the feeders:
This isn't my feeder, this is in Tucson I think. Mine is more elongated and rounded near the bottom.
Female Gila Woodpecker - March 31, 2010 - YouTube

Old 01-30-2013, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomersBoy View Post
Ahhhh, you've re-invented the scare crow.........sort of....;>)
Yeah - I even thought of that! If this wears out it's scare-appeal, then I'll get a mannequin and put it near the feeder!

Old 01-31-2013, 09:36 AM

The loopy flight is the sugar rush.. I have seen numerous Home Made Hummingbird Feeder made with the water bottle and sip tube used on rabbit cages. The only bird that can hoover & feed is the humming birds. Buying a Humming Bird Feeder or making one have that in mind.. if it can't hoover it can't feed.
Some people put fruit out..on a separate feeder location.. Cardinals & Jays like dried fruit cranberry - Wood Peckers - Song Birds Tanagers like 1/4 Orange Section. Fall & Winter.. summer you will have a ball of ants.
Wood Peckers love unsalted raw peanuts.. and were ever you have any bird feeder have a "water source" clean every day. Birds will flock too water..drink & play& bath in. Your backyard bird population will double or triple if you have water any time of the year..

Old 01-31-2013, 01:03 PM

109 posts, read 234,706 times
Just set up a deer stand in the woods an all the redheads crows and squirrels will be busy circle'n it... atleast thats where they flock too around here

Old 01-31-2013, 08:56 PM

If you look on line you will find these in bulk packages. Humming Bird Feeder Tubes.. One tube + 1 liter pop bottle + 1 child age 2--90 + some wire for hanging and you have some fun. Pop bottles with red base would be excellent.. use only sugar water and no dye please. And lets see if a Wood Pecker can Hover like a Humming Bird

Old 02-05-2013, 09:14 PM

3,968 posts, read 5,135,142 times
I haven't seen a woodpecker on my hummingbird feeders, but on occasion a titmouse will come to one. One fall, it attracted some orioles...I was VERY happy, as I hadn't had the orioles around here before, as far as I know! They usually went down the wire holding the feeder until they could get to the nectar. This winter the bees were all over my hummingibrd feeder whenever the weather conditions were right. Had to remove the bee guards because the bees were crawling inside them. Poor winter hummingbird would come around and couldn't always get to the nectar! But the bees have switched to an Arizona Ash that started blooming lately. I believe this pic shows a Baltimore Oriole.
Attached Thumbnails
A Solution! Woodpeckers and Hummingbird feeders-baltimore-oriole-2a.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature