Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 10:34 AM

178 posts, read 328,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David910 View Post
You know, my recent trip to Florida, where I saw an area once abundant with trees cut down, presumably to build a house really affected me. I am just afraid that eventually, and I think this is the way this country is going, we are going to just wipe a lot of the countries nature out due to people wanting to build "dream" homes, and the overall sprawl of the country.

Think about what would happen then....
The Florida county we lived in allowed developers to rule. They clearcut forests, built strip malls, housing developments, and toward the end of the bubble bursting in 2007 and 2008, left unfinished buildings to sit vacant to this day. In one instance they clearcut an entire area, filled it in with tons and tons of dirt, and it sat empty for years. In doing this clearcut in the spring of the year, hawks nests were destroyed, turtles had no place to lay their eggs, and the neighbors cried. In 2012, a single building houses two businesses and the land around it is still treeless. There are tons of houses for sale and no need for anyone to buy a treed property and clearcut it for their "dream home". It is sickening. David, I'll sign your petition and thanks for posting this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 02:27 PM

933 posts, read 1,477,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Looks like it's time to hunt/trap beavers to extinction.

so if I buy a heavily wooded lot I can no longer clear a area for my home garage or for a yard?
We can only build in cleared areas like on farm land?

No rural building, move the population to city's.
Where you need to get permission to cut a branch off of a tree.

Has the op ever seen a clear cut area?(logging)
Stopping all paper manufacturing would save many more trees.
Or how about we stop using wood to build with?

Most homes I see the owners plant trees in the yard along with bushes.
No, you would be able to build a house. However, there would be a set amount of trees you can cut down. Let's just say 20 for this exercise, but I guess it would have to depend on the geography of the area. If you cut down more than 20 trees then you will face a harsh punishment. The more you cut down over the limit, the harsher your punishment would be. So, in this case if you were to cut down 25 trees your punishment might be a 25,000 dollar crime or 5,000 dollars per tree. At a certain point, for this exercise let's just say 40 trees you would face jail time AND a fine. That is a just a rough account of what my plan would be but is not set in stone. So to answer your question, yes you could still build, but you would only have a certain amount of land to build it on, but not unlimited space.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxLiving View Post
The Florida county we lived in allowed developers to rule. They clearcut forests, built strip malls, housing developments, and toward the end of the bubble bursting in 2007 and 2008, left unfinished buildings to sit vacant to this day. In one instance they clearcut an entire area, filled it in with tons and tons of dirt, and it sat empty for years. In doing this clearcut in the spring of the year, hawks nests were destroyed, turtles had no place to lay their eggs, and the neighbors cried. In 2012, a single building houses two businesses and the land around it is still treeless. There are tons of houses for sale and no need for anyone to buy a treed property and clearcut it for their "dream home". It is sickening. David, I'll sign your petition and thanks for posting this.
Thank you so much! This is horrific, and highlights the need for stricter tree laws in this country! Construction companies just ruthlessly taking over land as if it is their "right" to displace, probably, hundreds of animals. To tell you the truth, I feel as if it is pretty cold blooded for them to do that. I'll tell you what America doesn't need: another housing development. On my most recent trip to Florida, there was a housing development on the way which had, and I am not kidding when I say this, one house on the premise, and just acres upon acres of unused land around it. What those developers did is sick!

For all: here is a link to another petition site. I'd prefer you use this site if you don't want to make a White House account, rather than change.org: http://signon.org/sign/saving-trees-...l&r_by=6961342

Last edited by David910; 02-04-2013 at 03:08 PM..

Old 02-05-2013, 01:40 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,125,439 times
In Florida 3,689 acres have burned so far this year: Wildfire Information for Florida: Florida Forest Service- FDACS Some areas of the state are also under drought warning. I remember years that (I think) 300,000 or 500,000 thousand acres burned. I used to drive truck to Florida back in the late 1990's and early 2000's. Many times the flames were licking the major highways. My feeling is that, when you burn that many acres, many animals perish.

I do not think that just saving every tree will help the forest fires in Florida or any other state.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
In Florida 3,689 acres have burned so far this year: Wildfire Information for Florida: Florida Forest Service- FDACS Some areas of the state are also under drought warning. I remember years that (I think) 300,000 or 500,000 thousand acres burned. I used to drive truck to Florida back in the late 1990's and early 2000's. Many times the flames were licking the major highways. My feeling is that, when you burn that many acres, many animals perish.

I do not think that just saving every tree will help the forest fires in Florida or any other state.
No, but that is yet another reason why should try to save trees. If so many trees are being destroyed due to forest fires, then we should be trying to save as many trees that are not being burned as possible. We can't do anything about forest fires, but we can do something about the many trees being cut down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature