Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 10:09 AM

5,068 posts, read 10,132,051 times

Advertisements

It reminds me of a sea bird. It has sleek wings and the whole bird is white exept for the tips of the wings which are black. I recently heard one of the birds make a screeching noise as he flew over.

Anything ring a bell? Oh BTW, I'm in the Amarillo area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 04:38 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
If no one can help you here, there is a website called "What Bird" and one of their forums is titled "Help Me Identify A Bird." People will help you from a description or a photo. There is also a way on their regular website that helps you identify a bird yourself.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:37 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,925,997 times
What you may have seen was an Egret. There are several varieties in Texas. The one from France has black tipped wings. They were brought over to feed on bugs to keep the fields free of harmful insects. They will generally follow a tractor plowing or they will be found around cattle. Cattle will stir up insects as they walk and the egrets feed on these. If it looked close to this pic, that's probably what you saw. I would think they are common in your area. The French Egret stands probably 18" tall.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:46 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,523,474 times
Another link that may help... Birds Look at Cormoran-Snake Bird -Anhinga the link has audio for each birds call.

Also ..... American White Pelican

Last edited by TN Tin Man; 02-07-2013 at 03:01 PM..

Old 02-07-2013, 03:02 PM

44,355 posts, read 20,063,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
If no one can help you here, there is a website called "What Bird" and one of their forums is titled "Help Me Identify A Bird." People will help you from a description or a photo. There is also a way on their regular website that helps you identify a bird yourself.
Thank for the info, LauraC!

WhatBird | identify birds | bird identification guide | north america

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:02 PM

I wouldn't characterize the birds I saw as a great egret, though it may be a variety of egret. I'd really like to get a good camera and shoot them when I have some money.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:49 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
There are several species of inland gulls and terns that could appear all white with black wingtips. Egrets to not have black wingtips. The California and Ring-billed gulls are pretty easy to recognize as gulls, but the Franklins and Bonapartes gulls do not make one think "seagull" when seen, they have a more fluttery flight behavior. Franklins would be a fairly common migrant in the Panhandle, but there could be winter stragglers.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:16 PM

By chance, I happened to run into a guy who new about the birds in this area. He said the bird in question was a kite. He said he also noticed the screeching noise kites make, and that if you could look at the top of the bird, it would be grey in color.

I looked up kites in Google images and noticed that none of them looked like the ones I see in Amarillo, so there must be a number of variations of kites.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:14 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
I think he is describing the Black-shouldered (or White-tailed -- the name has been changed) Kite. It occurs as an uncommon winter bird in the Brush Country. (Uncommon means not common, but not rare, either.) An adult will look all white seen from underneath, but with graying toward the wingtips.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_3CacvgWKjy...A.+Vincent.jpg

I think in Amarillo, you get the Mississippi Kite, which like populated areas so they're often seen.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I think he is describing the Black-shouldered (or White-tailed -- the name has been changed) Kite. It occurs as an uncommon winter bird in the Brush Country. (Uncommon means not common, but not rare, either.) An adult will look all white seen from underneath, but with graying toward the wingtips.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_3CacvgWKjy...A.+Vincent.jpg

I think in Amarillo, you get the Mississippi Kite, which like populated areas so they're often seen.
Here is another shot: I guess most pictures we see are shaded a bit on the under-side. Plus, this shot is hovering more or less, so the wing feathers are splayed.

Note: Released into the public domain (by the author).

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature