Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2013, 08:41 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,577,469 times

Advertisements

I've heard that you can attract non-seed-eating birds by putting out fruit. So I cut an apple and orange in half and put them in a suet feeder. After about a month, the only thing that's landed on it is a wren that got confused -- it quickly hopped to the suet feeder in the next window.

Are they just not in my area? (suburbs of Philadelphia). I get tons of chickadees, nuthatches, titmice, woodpeckers, finches, sparrows, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 10:23 AM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Never heard of that. Maybe some small berries would attract them, but I never saw birds around our orange trees in Florida, and the birds in apple trees seem more interested in nesting than the fruit.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:30 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
It has to do with the season of the year. Northern winter birds do not depend much on the availability of fruit. But when spring migration stats, you will see a lot more birds who have become addicted to fruits all winter in South American.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:23 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,577,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
It has to do with the season of the year. Northern winter birds do not depend much on the availability of fruit. But when spring migration stats, you will see a lot more birds who have become addicted to fruits all winter in South American.
Ooh - something nice to look forward to. Thanks!

Old 02-18-2013, 01:01 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
If you toss an apple on your lawn here in PA; chances are that a squirrel will run off with it or a deer will eat it. Wild turkeys will also peck at it and rabbits will nibble it. If you toss out citrus fruit very few animals will even come close. Usually citrus fruit will just rot. I do think that crows will sometimes peck at it – but crows are scavengers and probably have more experience with citrus fruit in the garbage.

I do not think of apples as a 'bird food'. Although crows love to eat ripe apples, pears and peaches right off the tree. But when these large birds do eat fruit; they peck holes in the fruit – they do not consume the whole fruit.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:29 AM

50,335 posts, read 63,906,560 times
The Wild Birds website says it can take years to lure orioles to your yard unless they are already around. It said many types of birds like orange halves, grapes and raisins. I'm trying them this year to see what I get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature