U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-07-2013, 10:03 PM
 
Location: Yucaipa, California
9,888 posts, read 21,072,237 times
Reputation: 6806

Advertisements

What ashame. We will never know why the 4 yr old lion who was raised at cat haven since age 8 weeks old killed the woman. The deputy killed the lion & reports say the woman died instantly. Some say the cop didnt have to kill the cat because the woman was already dead. Im sad for both the woman & lion.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...ttack/1969129/
http://cathaven.com
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-08-2013, 05:25 PM
 
6,441 posts, read 5,044,198 times
Reputation: 13564
That is a sad loss of someone who loved animals. She made a mistake that cost her life.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2013, 06:23 PM
 
Location: West Virginia
13,759 posts, read 37,444,487 times
Reputation: 9960
hummm Read Zoo might give a clue....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2013, 06:33 PM
 
8,402 posts, read 23,195,799 times
Reputation: 6810
If the woman was indeed dead right after the attack, there was no reason to kill the cat. It's another senseless death.

People are often the true savages.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2013, 07:07 PM
 
7,280 posts, read 10,431,085 times
Reputation: 11486
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
What ashame. We will never know why the 4 yr old lion who was raised at cat haven since age 8 weeks old killed the woman. The deputy killed the lion & reports say the woman died instantly. Some say the cop didnt have to kill the cat because the woman was already dead. Im sad for both the woman & lion.
Lion kills woman interning at Calif. sanctuary
Big Cats and Wildlife Habitat Conservation Program by Cat Haven
The reason the lion killed the woman is known. It is a wild animal, not a domesticated one. Humans always want to impose some reasoning onto animal behavior. The lion killed her because wild animal kill other animals, sometimes for food, sometimes just because as a predator, their place in life is to kill other animals for a variety of reasons. The point is that they kill because that is what they do.

The reason it happened is because proper safety protocols were not used. If the Lion opened the gate to the enclosure as reported, then the gate was not properly secured or was the wrong kind of gate for theintended use.

Humans placed the lion in the situation it found itself. Humans then failed to insure they were adequately protected from the lion. The lion killed the human because the human entered the world of the lion, the lion didn't enter the world of the human.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2013, 11:09 PM
 
Location: Went around the corner & now I'm lost!!!!
1,544 posts, read 3,465,653 times
Reputation: 1235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
The reason the lion killed the woman is known. It is a wild animal, not a domesticated one. Humans always want to impose some reasoning onto animal behavior. The lion killed her because wild animal kill other animals, sometimes for food, sometimes just because as a predator, their place in life is to kill other animals for a variety of reasons. The point is that they kill because that is what they do.

The reason it happened is because proper safety protocols were not used. If the Lion opened the gate to the enclosure as reported, then the gate was not properly secured or was the wrong kind of gate for theintended use.

Humans placed the lion in the situation it found itself. Humans then failed to insure they were adequately protected from the lion. The lion killed the human because the human entered the world of the lion, the lion didn't enter the world of the human.
Question. Was the woman on her period? This is a big mistake women do around male animals. These animals can smell menstrual blood and will try to mount a female, locking his jaws around her neck. To him she was just in heat waiting for a mate. People are dumb; not the animals
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2013, 11:19 PM
 
Location: Ohio
15,703 posts, read 16,228,903 times
Reputation: 22067
The last I heard, the girls neck was broken when the lion swatted at her.....she wasn't mauled at all.

He did not do the "kill move"......biting the neck.

From his point of view, he may have just been initiating play.

And.....IMO.....it is stupid to kill wild animals just for doing what wild animals do, unless it is absolutely necessary to stop the attack.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2013, 01:59 AM
 
Location: Wheaton, Illinois
10,257 posts, read 20,849,063 times
Reputation: 10394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post

And.....IMO.....it is stupid to kill wild animals just for doing what wild animals do, unless it is absolutely necessary to stop the attack.
Yeah, maybe. But one of the things humans do is show other predators who the top predator is, it's our nature. And it's worked pretty well, all in all.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2013, 02:02 AM
 
Location: Ohio
15,703 posts, read 16,228,903 times
Reputation: 22067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Yeah, maybe. But one of the things humans do is show other predator who's the top predator. It's worked pretty well.
They don't think like we do.

If that was true.....animals would have stopped attacking humans hundreds of years ago.....because they would have learned that more often than not, they end up dead.

The other big cats in that park are not saying to themselves: "OMG.....look what happened to him.....I sure as hell am never going to do anything that harms a human." LOL
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2013, 02:07 AM
 
Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,299 posts, read 13,613,584 times
Reputation: 8084
They killed the lion because it was staying with the body, and they wanted to be able to get at the woman (they couldn't tell that she was dead from a distance).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:32 AM.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top