Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
Slug 32 78.05%
Spider 8 19.51%
Wasp 1 2.44%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 09:02 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,352,256 times

Advertisements

Camping in the deserts of SE New Mexico, I once had a scorpion enter my bedroll and early on, as we were still restoring this old west Texas farm installing new flooring, I've had moths, beetles, spiders and wasps in bed with me (not all at the same time). I'll vote for a slug. The wasp stung me and we have some nasty spiders.

However there's nothing like going to the bathroom about 3:00 am and finding a strange moving black "rope" stretched out across the darkened hallway. That'll sure make you moonwalk!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 09:13 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
The black rope influenced the color of my bedroom carpet. Been there and done that. My carpet is green whisper which looks like the sand on the beach. I would prefer the slug too. Both the "rope" and the spider could be deadly.

Mice are cute and usually only want cereal or cheese. Wouldn't want one on my bed though. Mice run when you scream.

To stop some of the traffic in your bed try to make sure the cover from the bed does not touch the floor. Most creepy crawly things keep to the floor unless there is a cover there for them to climb up.

Have you ever wondered why certain scents are in furniture polish. If I remember correctly, spiders do not like lemon scent and scorpions do not like lavender scent. If spiders are a problem, sprinkle powers behind your bed and it will cause problems for them and dry them up and sometimes kill them.

I have started sprinkling talcum powders on my carpet when I am going to be gone on vacation. The best way to get rid of insects is to make it unpleasant for them to stay around.

Last edited by NCN; 03-19-2013 at 09:25 PM..

Old 03-19-2013, 10:50 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,352,256 times
I haven't had anymore "black ropes" in my floor since we finished the flooring but I can tell you after I came off the ceiling that morning that little buddy quickly became a limp "dead rope." We have no poisonous snakes in this location of the south plains (not even rattlers) but I don't like snakes and I like them even less in my house.

BTW, I believe talc gets between the joints of the exoskeleton of insects and causes death by abrasion.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:15 PM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,947,401 times
Default Slug of coarse !

I would much rather have the slug. I'm not fond of hurting my teeth on the crunchy critters when I have my "midnight snack"

Old 03-22-2013, 04:20 PM

7,097 posts, read 4,820,754 times
Well, none of the above, really.....ugh.

Old 03-24-2013, 02:28 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Slug. They move slowly, and they don't bite.

How about centipedes? Every fall they infest my bedroom -- which entertains the cats, but leaves me feeling a bit queasy.

Dare I ask what a "black rope" is?

Old 03-26-2013, 06:31 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,377,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Slug. They move slowly, and they don't bite.

How about centipedes? Every fall they infest my bedroom -- which entertains the cats, but leaves me feeling a bit queasy.

Dare I ask what a "black rope" is?

Ohiogirl81: I believe a black rat snake--not venomous.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:52 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,523,474 times
Better than those dang big Palmetto Bugs in Florida..On a tile floor they sound like a horse with metal shoes on cobblestones.Then when you step on them sound like a Rice Crispy..crunch with yellow goo that flies out across the floor...Take a cold slimy slug any old time..

Old 03-26-2013, 07:24 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
The black rope influenced the color of my bedroom carpet. Been there and done that. My carpet is green whisper which looks like the sand on the beach. I would prefer the slug too. Both the "rope" and the spider could be deadly.

Mice are cute and usually only want cereal or cheese. Wouldn't want one on my bed though. Mice run when you scream.

To stop some of the traffic in your bed try to make sure the cover from the bed does not touch the floor. Most creepy crawly things keep to the floor unless there is a cover there for them to climb up.

Have you ever wondered why certain scents are in furniture polish. If I remember correctly, spiders do not like lemon scent and scorpions do not like lavender scent. If spiders are a problem, sprinkle powers behind your bed and it will cause problems for them and dry them up and sometimes kill them.

I have started sprinkling talcum powders on my carpet when I am going to be gone on vacation. The best way to get rid of insects is to make it unpleasant for them to stay around.
Unless they are in my house. Then what those 8 legged spawns from hell do is walk along the ceiling, wait until they are right over me and then, "fall" on me. ON PURPOSE! I know they do, I hear them radioing the coordinates to the other demon spawn back at the web.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:23 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,841,862 times
And the SLUG wins the popularity contest thus far

I really can't decide which I'd prefer, cuz I don't prefer any of them!!!
I don't think I've ever woke up with a creepy insect, at least not that I can remember.

My least favorite insect is a roach. I live at the base of a hill, and the soil is very rocky. As the foundation has settled, I assume there are now cracks that provide the perfect highway for my visitors. I keep my house spotless, so I don't really understand what the attraction is....perhaps my company? I'm constantly spraying for roaches during the summer. Outside, around the perimeter of the house, in the garage, and I put boric acid on my base boards. They need to just stay in their home, NOT mine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature