U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-02-2013, 12:10 AM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
18,711 posts, read 16,518,745 times
Reputation: 14640

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I thought most states required suspected rabid animals to be beheaded and the brain checked for rabies? (Gross, I know. But as you state, rabies is something to be taken seriously!)

Several years ago a client (I'm a painting contractor) had an odd-acting raccoon under his deck. It wasn't acting aggressive, just rather loopy and with no fear of humans, plus it was out in broad daylight. It was obviously ill - distemper, rabies, who knows. Mainly he was concerned about it dying under his deck and rotting in the summer heat.

I brought over a live trap and we trapped it, then called the DNR. A guy came out and took it; he said they would euthanise it and check for rabies.

Raccoons are not very fast-moving animals. Even a raccoon version of a flat-out run is a sort of ungainly, lumbering affair, from what I've seen!
Perhaps I should have called the DNR instead of my Game Commission? My GC just did not really want to come out for the sick baby raccoon. I had reminded them that raccoons were out of season and that I did not have a hunting (fur taking – for raccoons) license. They told me to dispatch the animal and that is was officially OK with them.

Besides the rabies; humans also have to worry about Baylisascaris – which is a form of round worm which could be serious in humans.

My wife and I watched a standoff between an old male raccoon and a four point buck. Neither would yield to the other. We were expecting to see the raccoon hoofed to death and it came close to that. Both animals tried to get a piece of each other. They finally both gave up at about the same time. The buck had to be six or eight times heavier than the raccoon. Raccoons are strong and well armed for their size.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-06-2013, 07:08 PM
 
734 posts, read 1,571,026 times
Reputation: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I thought most states required suspected rabid animals to be beheaded and the brain checked for rabies? (Gross, I know. But as you state, rabies is something to be taken seriously!)

Several years ago a client (I'm a painting contractor) had an odd-acting raccoon under his deck. It wasn't acting aggressive, just rather loopy and with no fear of humans, plus it was out in broad daylight. It was obviously ill - distemper, rabies, who knows. Mainly he was concerned about it dying under his deck and rotting in the summer heat.

I brought over a live trap and we trapped it, then called the DNR. A guy came out and took it; he said they would euthanise it and check for rabies.

Raccoons are not very fast-moving animals. Even a raccoon version of a flat-out run is a sort of ungainly, lumbering affair, from what I've seen!

Did you happen to ask the guy just how he was going to euthanize the raccoon? NYS DEC says it is acceptable to put the trap in a large garbage pail, put a hose in and fill it with water. Horrific.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2013, 10:57 AM
 
Location: SE Michigan
6,191 posts, read 17,501,045 times
Reputation: 10346
Quote:
Originally Posted by J5K5LY View Post
Did you happen to ask the guy just how he was going to euthanize the raccoon? NYS DEC says it is acceptable to put the trap in a large garbage pail, put a hose in and fill it with water. Horrific.
Oh that's cruel.

I didn't, but I think he was going to take it to a vet so it could be checked for rabies? So I assume euthanized by the vet.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2013, 02:42 PM
 
Location: Orange County, CA
3,726 posts, read 5,948,363 times
Reputation: 4248
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
My wife and I watched a standoff between an old male raccoon and a four point buck. Neither would yield to the other. We were expecting to see the raccoon hoofed to death and it came close to that. Both animals tried to get a piece of each other. They finally both gave up at about the same time. The buck had to be six or eight times heavier than the raccoon. Raccoons are strong and well armed for their size.
This is a bit of a surprise. A decent sized buck wearing a rack can easily fend off a pair of coyotes and send them off, or kill a bobcat, or for that matter, any predator up to the size of a large dog. Even wolves have, on occasion, been killed by a big buck defending it's life. That old boar coon was lucky, and surprised that he would even challenge something as large as that buck.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2013, 11:49 PM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
18,711 posts, read 16,518,745 times
Reputation: 14640
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
This is a bit of a surprise. A decent sized buck wearing a rack can easily fend off a pair of coyotes and send them off, or kill a bobcat, or for that matter, any predator up to the size of a large dog. Even wolves have, on occasion, been killed by a big buck defending it's life. That old boar coon was lucky, and surprised that he would even challenge something as large as that buck.
Our buck are not as large as the deer that you are used to seeing. That four pointer would have probably only have gone about 100 pounds hog dressed. Also; we count total points here on the East Coast – not four points on one side.

However, like I stated; the raccoon was very lucky. Even our smaller deer could inflict serious damage with their hooves.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2013, 04:52 AM
 
2,675 posts, read 5,129,663 times
Reputation: 2601
It is nice to see a good news story. Good on you Chiroptera for not forgetting about that poor raccoon and persisting in trying to save it. I have been following this thread and I'm relieved that Rocky Raccoon lives to fight another day.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2013, 10:03 AM
 
Location: Orange County, CA
3,726 posts, read 5,948,363 times
Reputation: 4248
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
However, like I stated; the raccoon was very lucky. Even our smaller deer could inflict serious damage with their hooves.
Yes indeed. Even an adult doe defending her fawn can be very effective in using those sharp hooves. A deer can swiftly rise up on it's hind legs and deliver a series of lightning fast kicks with front hooves, faster than a boxers's punches. Any coyote, bobcat, raccoon, or dog on the other end is going to suffer major hurt if struck by them. Usually do not hear much about it, but deer kill or badly injure many dogs, some quite large, every year. Does defending fawns or cranky bucks during the fall rut usually the culprits. Deer usually prefer flight rather than fight, using their superior speed to evade an attacker, but not always.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2013, 03:33 PM
 
Location: SE Michigan
6,191 posts, read 17,501,045 times
Reputation: 10346
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Yes indeed. Even an adult doe defending her fawn can be very effective in using those sharp hooves. A deer can swiftly rise up on it's hind legs and deliver a series of lightning fast kicks with front hooves, faster than a boxers's punches. Any coyote, bobcat, raccoon, or dog on the other end is going to suffer major hurt if struck by them. Usually do not hear much about it, but deer kill or badly injure many dogs, some quite large, every year. Does defending fawns or cranky bucks during the fall rut usually the culprits. Deer usually prefer flight rather than fight, using their superior speed to evade an attacker, but not always.
There is a surprising number of "deer attacks hunter" videos on YouTube.

Deer Attacks Hunter - YouTube

Whitetail Deer attacks Hunter - YouTube
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2013, 07:47 PM
 
Location: Orange County, CA
3,726 posts, read 5,948,363 times
Reputation: 4248
Ouch! Have to wonder how the men lived after taking a pounding like that. Note that neither man was gored. Had they been, the results could have been fatal.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2013, 08:33 PM
 
Location: SE Michigan
6,191 posts, read 17,501,045 times
Reputation: 10346
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Ouch! Have to wonder how the men lived after taking a pounding like that. Note that neither man was gored. Had they been, the results could have been fatal.
I know, right? These are not animals to be trifled with though I'm glad the men presumably survived with little more than bruises.

I'm totally OK with legal and ethical hunting but I have to say I'm rooting for the deer in these videos.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:37 PM.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top