U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 09:48 PM

16,482 posts, read 21,690,287 times

Advertisements

It is absolutely normal. I used to go out into the woods looking for shed antlers. Sometimes I would find ones that had been chewed on by squirrels, mice, porcupines etc. They provide calcium to the animal and taste good to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 10:15 PM

27,265 posts, read 25,865,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Squirrel sitting in the backyard this morning gnawing on something in typical squirrel fashion. I went out to see what it had been eating, it had been chewing on my dog's chew bone. It's actually an elk antler. I don't think I've ever seen a squirrel chew a bone like that! There are little chew marks all on the ends.

My dog doesn't like the darn thing anyway, maybe someone will get some use from it!
No, what's weird is the resident squirrel who hangs around on my brick walk and seems to be licking it. I found a stale, half eaten roll out there the other day. I guess he forgot to take it home.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:43 PM

41,050 posts, read 15,836,752 times
Quote:
Squirrel sitting in the backyard this morning gnawing on something in typical squirrel fashion. I went out to see what it had been eating, it had been chewing on my dog's chew bone. It's actually an elk antler. I don't think I've ever seen a squirrel chew a bone like that! There are little chew marks all on the ends.

My dog doesn't like the darn thing anyway, maybe someone will get some use from it!
Wow, that's unusual and interesting! I've never witnessed anything like that either.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:38 PM

48,509 posts, read 86,079,672 times
Quote:

No that is one rason you will find i time any areas with sqarrels will have no deer horn ion time from deer that died.they will even eat o honrs you hang on buildings.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:05 PM

3,333 posts, read 3,147,300 times
My SO and I used to watch the squirrels on the patio of our apartment. They were highly entertaining. We even named a couple of them. We were able to tell them apart by the notches in their ears.

They love peanuts, too, btw.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:51 PM

18,786 posts, read 14,817,547 times
I read an article about a guy who designed a "squirrel-proof" bird feeder. It had an electronic scale. Squirrels generally weigh about 20 oz and birds are much less. If the scale registered too much weight a trap door would shut, blocking access.

In no time one squirrel figured out that it could be defeated by hanging upside down from the top of the feeder, avoiding the scale. And when one squirrel figured it out, all the others quickly learned the same trick.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:54 AM

3,518 posts, read 2,892,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I read an article about a guy who designed a "squirrel-proof" bird feeder. It had an electronic scale. Squirrels generally weigh about 20 oz and birds are much less. If the scale registered too much weight a trap door would shut, blocking access.

In no time one squirrel figured out that it could be defeated by hanging upside down from the top of the feeder, avoiding the scale. And when one squirrel figured it out, all the others quickly learned the same trick.
This is a great reason NOT to invest in one of them. I have considered getting one, because I do love to feed the birds, but dang they're expensive! And if they can be figured out, the heck with it.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:33 AM

15,894 posts, read 12,695,051 times
Quote:
This is a great reason NOT to invest in one of them. I have considered getting one, because I do love to feed the birds, but dang they're expensive! And if they can be figured out, the heck with it.
The biggest problem with the 'squirrel proof' feeders is that we spend only a short time designing, building and placing them. Our squirrels spend every minute, they are awake, trying to foil our defense mechanisms. And; they are driven by hunger and the taste for our birdseed. While our brains are bigger; we don't have the time or incentive to win this battle.

It is no wonder that so many of us cannot wait for the fall hawk migration!

Old 04-17-2013, 08:25 AM

6,506 posts, read 8,178,037 times
A couple of months ago, an empty vitamin bottle, hard plastic, managed to escape from my recycling bin. I found it on the lawn with the entire bottom neatly nibbled away. Since I'm sure the plastic didn't contain any calcium, I'm assuming the critter was doing the tooth-grooming thing. I live on a street that has little traffic and the surrounding yards all have trees and flowers and gardens in the Summer. Believe me, this is Squirrel Central.

I am on my third garbage can. I and my neighbor keep our garbage cans beside our houses. Hers has a large hole in the bottom. Mine, the old ones, were chewed through the hard plastic lids. This allows flies to get in and...well, that's enough. I don't like squirrels.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:48 PM

15,894 posts, read 12,695,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
A couple of months ago, an empty vitamin bottle, hard plastic, managed to escape from my recycling bin. I found it on the lawn with the entire bottom neatly nibbled away. Since I'm sure the plastic didn't contain any calcium, I'm assuming the critter was doing the tooth-grooming thing. I live on a street that has little traffic and the surrounding yards all have trees and flowers and gardens in the Summer. Believe me, this is Squirrel Central.

I am on my third garbage can. I and my neighbor keep our garbage cans beside our houses. Hers has a large hole in the bottom. Mine, the old ones, were chewed through the hard plastic lids. This allows flies to get in and...well, that's enough. I don't like squirrels.
Only metal garbage cans work on most critters (excluding bear). You still should have a bungee cord holding the lid on. Raccoons can be pretty clever at getting off lids. Squirrels will even try to chew through the metal lids until their teeth bleed (especially if they smell something appetizing).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature