Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 09:19 AM

7,098 posts, read 4,823,070 times

Advertisements

Squirrel sitting in the backyard this morning gnawing on something in typical squirrel fashion. I went out to see what it had been eating, it had been chewing on my dog's chew bone. It's actually an elk antler. I don't think I've ever seen a squirrel chew a bone like that! There are little chew marks all on the ends.

My dog doesn't like the darn thing anyway, maybe someone will get some use from it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 10:16 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
The squirrel is getting calcium, or some other nutrient from the gnawing. I've found bones in the woods, similarly nibbled.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:14 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Hehe. We have crazy squirrels, too. One eats every bit of bird seed he can get his squirrely hands on, while the other (maybe his brother?) only nibbles. They are funny to watch. I wish I could hear what they're saying about us humans!

Old 04-10-2013, 03:29 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
squirrels are omnivores just like humans. They even are known to catch and eat small birds. Squirrels are amazing. A researcher called them "the clowns in your backyard."
Scientists try to unlock secrets of city squirrels

Old 04-10-2013, 05:23 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Squirrel sitting in the backyard this morning gnawing on something in typical squirrel fashion. I went out to see what it had been eating, it had been chewing on my dog's chew bone. It's actually an elk antler. I don't think I've ever seen a squirrel chew a bone like that! There are little chew marks all on the ends.

My dog doesn't like the darn thing anyway, maybe someone will get some use from it!
At my last house, I had a squirrel hanging around my front yard for about two years. It wore a collar...one of those stretchy cat collars.

And it would steal dog bones from my back yard and stash them in a tree out front and gnaw on them.
Squirrels are mainly herbivores but will eat all manner of things and they do need calcium in their diets as well as simply hard things to chew to keep their teeth worn down...check this link, "antlers" is listed.

Squirrel Rescue - Help with Baby Squirrel or Orphaned Squirrels

Old 04-10-2013, 07:09 PM

Wow. I didn't look it up at all, I had assumed squirrels were vegetarians, since they regularly eat any kind of seeds I put out for the birds. I don't even bother trying to feed the birds any more.

I figured it was a source of calcium, just had never seen that before.

They are funny little creatures....they keep Vito entranced for hours.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:30 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
We have ducks and our female ducks love egg shells (especially at this time of the year while they are laying). The male ducks are not interested in the shells. Nature seems to know what it needs to survive.

I never thought about squirrels eating antlers. I was always told that the filed mice ate the antlers. But it would be natural for a squirrel to go after the calcium and minerals - if it needed them.

We have wooden birdhouses that squirrels have ruined. They gnawed the opening so large that no bird will use them. Possibly it is because they do that to get after the bird eggs for the calcium?

We have $85 “Squirrel Proof” bird feeders. The other day my wife was looking out the window and thought the one feeder looked funny. It had a squirrel's tail sticking out the back of the feeder. The little bugger managed to open the lid and was then pigging out!

We usually look forward to the fall hawk migration and the inevitable reduction of squirrels and chipmunks.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:00 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post

We have $85 “Squirrel Proof” bird feeders. The other day my wife was looking out the window and thought the one feeder looked funny. It had a squirrel's tail sticking out the back of the feeder. The little bugger managed to open the lid and was then pigging out!

Nothing is squirrel proof I guess. My husband yells at them and bangs on the window when they eat his birdseed. They do run away sometimes, but mostly just give him squirrel-lip the rest of the time.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:03 PM

Yeah, between the squirrels eating the bird seed and the dog chasing the squirrels, I don't bother too much with trying to feed the birds any more. Except for stale bread I throw on the front lawn where the dog won't eat it. The squirrels sometimes eat that too, but not usually.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:32 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post

I think when deer shed their antlers every year, the little forest critters eat them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature