U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 01:53 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,627,725 times

Advertisements

I watched some 20/20 documentary about how it's overdue for a globe-altering eruption now. I don't really know much else about it. Sensational or no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 07:50 PM

16,482 posts, read 21,690,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
I watched some 20/20 documentary about how it's overdue for a globe-altering eruption now. I don't really know much else about it. Sensational or no?
I think about it now and then, I am not that far away from it. It doesn't keep me up at night because they have predicted that California would have an earthquake strong enough for some of it to slough into the ocean and that hasn't happened. I used to live in S. CA as a child, teen and young adult and we were forever hearing that we were overdue for a huge quake.

Old 04-20-2013, 08:02 PM

10,928 posts, read 8,991,667 times
There is a very cool live cam at www.nps.gov/features/yell/live/live4.htm which shows the Old Faithful geyser basin plus one a short distance away. You can see Old Faithful and its companion geysers steaming and occasinally erupting, tourists strolling past, and an occasional bison, bird, or other creature. The camera operator is very good about focussing on whatever interesting thing is going on, be it geyser eruption or beautiful sunset.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:11 PM

16,482 posts, read 21,690,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
There is a very cool live cam at www.nps.gov/features/yell/live/live4.htm which shows the Old Faithful geyser basin plus one a short distance away. You can see Old Faithful and its companion geysers steaming and occasinally erupting, tourists strolling past, and an occasional bison, bird, or other creature. The camera operator is very good about focussing on whatever interesting thing is going on, be it geyser eruption or beautiful sunset.
This reminds me of a park employee that was fired and arrested years ago. He was caught on the webcam peeing right into Old Faithful.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:47 AM

2,645 posts, read 2,685,946 times
Not at the moment, but if Old Faithful ever becomes unfaithful...

Old 04-24-2013, 08:53 AM

7,281 posts, read 9,232,785 times
People worry about Yellowstone, earthquakes, tsunamis, tornados and hurricanes. Meanwhile life passes them by.

Our society has created en entire population of worriers. Worriers have no time to enjoy life or reap the benefits of their efforts because they worry all the time. Then we created all kinds of drugs to deal with the effects of worrying. Worrying is a distraction and hides what is really going on around you.

You prepare as you can for such events but worry? I'd be worried about the time I spent worrying because you never get that time back.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:40 PM

1,961 posts, read 3,863,221 times
I am not worried about it, and I even live in a close enough range we would feel the effects.

Is it possible? I am sure, but there are lots of other natural disasters that are speculated about that are very unlikely to actually happen.

There is not much you can do about it at any rate.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:57 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,072,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
People worry about Yellowstone, earthquakes, tsunamis, tornados and hurricanes. Meanwhile life passes them by.

Our society has created en entire population of worriers. Worriers have no time to enjoy life or reap the benefits of their efforts because they worry all the time. Then we created all kinds of drugs to deal with the effects of worrying. Worrying is a distraction and hides what is really going on around you.

You prepare as you can for such events but worry? I'd be worried about the time I spent worrying because you never get that time back.
bravo sir, bravo.

Yellowstone is a non issue. I'd worry about a cascade volcano if anything.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:03 AM

23,241 posts, read 15,590,852 times
I live less than 100 miles away. If the caldera blows, I'm a goner and so is everyone else in my town.

There is nothing I can do, and I was born and raised here. I love Yellowstone and my corner of the world. I haver no plans on moving. At the moment, the caldera is not doing anything special. If it ever does decide to erupt, it won't be instantaneous; there will be many signs of something going on. If it does start to rumble seriously, ask me then what I think.

I worry more about being caught in an avalanche during the winters. We have them here regularly, and that is much more a possibility than Yellowstone Lake going vertical.

Old 04-25-2013, 03:02 AM

11,261 posts, read 13,661,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post

Being in Ontario isn't going to save us from the fallout, either. lol I will be making my way to the Canadian Shield when everything starts going wrong though.

2012 Super volcano eruption - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or