U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 12:48 AM

8,022 posts, read 13,471,619 times

Advertisements

Have you noticed some states along interstates and other major highways have planted flower beds in the median and off the shoulder. You can be ticketed big time for picking those too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 10:54 AM

41,051 posts, read 15,836,752 times
Great idea for a thread, jtur!

For Karen_in_nh and others, here's a photo of a swallowtail on a coneflower in NW Indiana.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:58 AM

In one area of divided highway that I drive through on my way to and from work, the DNR has allowed an organization to plant wildflowers in the median. In mid summer it's so beautiful, with coneflowers, black eyed susans and many other flowers native to NW IN. It sure makes the commute to work a lot more pleasant.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:10 AM

21,413 posts, read 20,391,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Spring ephemeral wildflowers are in bloom in much of the eastern and southeastern forests right now - don't dally; catch a glimpse of them while you can before they're gone for another year. Wakerobin, purple, white, and yellow violets, toothwort, spring beauties, twinfleaf, bloodroot, trout lily, Jacob's ladder, Virginia bluebells, rue anemone, meadow rue, Dutchman's breeches, squirrel corn, corn salad, mayapple, dwarf larkspur, saxifrage and golden ragwort are in bloom in my woods right now. Probably more as well that I haven't spotted yet... and definitely several more to come.

But please don't pick wildflowers - it is illegal on most public lands to pick wildflowers, as some varieties are endangered or rare, so unless you are on private property with the property owner's knowledge and permission, take or draw pictures or just enjoy these fleeting beauties as they are, where they are - and leave them to set seed for next year's season (it takes up to seven years for wakerobin [red trillium] to reach maturity and bloom).
It's good to hear these flower names again because they remind me of a garden I used to have. It was a shade garden and I ended up planting mostly native wild flowers. Luckily there was a perennial farm not too far away and they sold most of the above mentioned plants. They must have propagated their own so it felt like a good thing to be doing, planting more and preserving plants that might become endangered. (My favorite was the Dutchman's Breeches.)

Old 04-23-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
It's good to hear these flower names again because they remind me of a garden I used to have. It was a shade garden and I ended up planting mostly native wild flowers. Luckily there was a perennial farm not too far away and they sold most of the above mentioned plants. They must have propagated their own so it felt like a good thing to be doing, planting more and preserving plants that might become endangered. (My favorite was the Dutchman's Breeches.)
Oh, I love Dutchman's Breeches!

Our state DNR has a wildflower sale each spring at the Indiana Dunes State Park, about 20 minutes from my home. Some of the native NWIN plants they have are trillium, spiderwort, jack-in-the-pulpit, columbine and dunes cactus. They also sell trees and ornamental grasses, all native to the area. Until about 5 years ago, I had no idea that any cacti were native to NWIN and are hardy to well below zero. There's always something new to learn.

Old 04-23-2013, 05:47 PM

24,054 posts, read 23,602,189 times
Planting wild flowers in the median it's eye appealing for the tourist. It promotes a healthier echo system and saves the state dollars from mowing the area. And erosion control. Slows vehicles down during a crash.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or