U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 10:29 AM

27,745 posts, read 14,525,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

I've seen crows chase hawks so why the crow didn't fight back is a mystery to me....
The crow isn't nearly as manoeuvrable as the mockingbird, or indeed, pretty much any smaller bird. So, 1-on-1, the advantage goes to the mockingbird.

Ditto when it comes to the bigger hawks. The crows can outmanoeuvre them (but they're also usually clever enough to make sure they have a few buddies with them, just in case.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 08:29 AM

38,102 posts, read 34,114,636 times
I want to market small razor blades to put on the birds feet so when they dive they can take out the Crows. Crows rip out the nests so pretty much every other bird hates them. The same reason Crows hate Ravens and Ravens hate Red Tails. The Crows are an absolute nightmare for song birds, more so than house cats in many areas.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:11 PM

3,518 posts, read 2,892,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I want to market small razor blades to put on the birds feet so when they dive they can take out the Crows. Crows rip out the nests so pretty much every other bird hates them. The same reason Crows hate Ravens and Ravens hate Red Tails. The Crows are an absolute nightmare for song birds, more so than house cats in many areas.
Wow. I guess the "angry" in your username refers to more than taxes.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:13 PM

29,100 posts, read 22,740,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Wow. I guess the "angry" in your username refers to more than taxes.
LOL - I recognize a lot of P&OC people in this sub-forum.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:46 AM

515 posts, read 672,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
As I stated in another thread, I witnessed a crow empty a nest of newly hatched baby robins in my garden before I realized what it was doing. Perhaps if robins were as aggressive as mockingbirds, their little babies would have survived. It's fitting that crows get hammered by smaller birds with all the damage they can do. Owls are much hated by crows because of the night attacks on their nest. I'm reminded of the old cliche, what goes around, comes around. Mother Nature sure has a way of keeping her checks and balances!

Old 05-11-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomersBoy View Post
As I stated in another thread, I witnessed a crow empty a nest of newly hatched baby robins in my garden before I realized what it was doing. Perhaps if robins were as aggressive as mockingbirds, their little babies would have survived. It's fitting that crows get hammered by smaller birds with all the damage they can do. Owls are much hated by crows because of the night attacks on their nest. I'm reminded of the old cliche, what goes around, comes around. Mother Nature sure has a way of keeping her checks and balances!
Ravens stick it to em too. Trouble is, Ravens rip out nests. We have a Screech Owl that is really slaying the rats.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:42 PM

4,925 posts, read 6,322,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I saw the funniest thing both yesterday and today at the same location. A tiny mockingbird was going kamikaze on a big crow. When I say tiny, I mean tiny. No matter where the crow went, the skinny little mockingbird chased it. When the crow was on the ground, the mockingbird dived toward the crows head repeatedly. It got so when the crow was feeding on the ground it kept looking up and around to see where the pesky mockingbird was. Even in the tree the mockingbird chased after it. The crow flew down the shoreline of the lake and the mockingbird was right behind him making a racket (you had to look because of the noise the mockingbird was making) and swooping on him. And it was only one crow, not all of the crows. I don't know what the crow did to make the mockingbird so mad but I saw it two days in a row so the mockingbird was either insane or holding a big grudge. What surprised me was the crow that was at least 3x the size of the mockingbird didn't fight back.

I tried to take a photo but wasn't successful.
I saw the very same thing yesterday!!? Are you in Central Fl....lol. Mockingbirds are my favorite birds and I love the songs they sing. The mockingbirds are chasing the crow because they have a nest nearby or little ones. I have seen them go after a redtailed hawk or cats, dive bombing the cat over and over.....what a fight. I can't understand why some people say they don't like mockingbirds...

Quote:

The Mockingbird Repertoire

MATTERS OF STATE

September 24, 1989|By Michael McLeod of The Sentinel Staff

Mockingbirds are like all those Top 40 cover bands who steal everybody else's hits and then play them down at the lounge on Saturday night.

Most of the melodies a mockingbird sings are copied from other birds - bluebirds, cardinals, sea gulls, whoever happens to be in the neighborhood. A mockingbird can be a regular avian jukebox, with a repertoire of 200 pilfered tunes. And sometimes, says biologist Randall Breitwisch, the birds will go to any lengths to avoid having to come up with their own lyrics.

While working on his Ph.D. at the University of Miami last year, Breitwisch studied about 80 mockingbirds on campus. The object of his study was to determine whether male mockingbirds sing to warn other males away from their territory or to impress potential mates. One theory is that males sing a variety of songs to impress females with their ability to memorize tunes - sort of like trying to impress a blind date by humming side one of Dark Side of the Moon on your way to the movie.
Breitwisch's study was inconclusive although his gut feeling is that the mockingbirds' song is meant for both rivals and potential mates. But while Breitwisch was studying the mockingbirds at UM, he noticed something else: Some of their calls were extremely odd and not at all birdlike.

Biologists have known for years that mockingbirds copy not only bird songs but sounds from other sources - dogs barking, cats meowing. So Breitwisch wasn't surprised to discover that the mockingbirds in one part of the UM campus had a croaking call - the mockingbirds' impersonations of nearby tree frogs.

But one mockingbird on the UM campus had a weird clacking call that puzzled Breitwisch.
Noticing that its nest was near a Metrorail stop, Breitwisch finally realized that the mockingbird was imitating the sound that the commuter train made when it pulled away from the station.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:16 PM

Nothing like a Mocking Bird singing in his sleep at 3 am Especially if it has copied your car alarm.

Old 05-12-2013, 05:53 AM

35,395 posts, read 34,806,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
I saw the very same thing yesterday!!? Are you in Central Fl....lol. Mockingbirds are my favorite birds and I love the songs they sing. The mockingbirds are chasing the crow because they have a nest nearby or little ones. I have seen them go after a redtailed hawk or cats, dive bombing the cat over and over.....what a fight. I can't understand why some people say they don't like mockingbirds...
Loved the article you posted. I'm in Tennessee and Friday, that mockingbird was still chasing the crow. I like mockingbirds. They come right up to the car when I'm using it as a blind and if I toss them a grape they go right for it. I like their music, too.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:23 PM

515 posts, read 672,510 times
I just posted this in another thread.....

As I was walking across a parking lot today, I noticed a couple mocking birds drinking from an overturned bottle of chocolate milk near a garbage can. Knowing first hand what effect chocolate milk has on my grand kids, I'd say someone's in for an all nighter.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature