Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 07:20 PM

5,355 posts, read 5,132,164 times

Advertisements

So, imagine your magical little village in your dreams. Does that village have:

1. Steep, jagged sawtooth mountain ridges, like the Tetons or the Himalaya's
2. Large, broad mountain summits like Denali
3. Large, rolling hills like the Appalachians
4. Gentle, broad hills like France
5. Mesas and Plateaus like Moab Utah
6. Completely flat like Louisiana below I-10
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 07:32 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,693,254 times
Hilly, like the Appalachians.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:55 PM

7,097 posts, read 4,820,754 times
You didn't mention coastal areas. I think my ideal village would be gently rolling, but on the sea. You can see and hear the ocean from most parts of the village. Block Island, Rhode Island comes to mind. But warm year round.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:03 PM

515 posts, read 778,272 times
Hilly, like my home state, WV.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
You didn't mention coastal areas. I think my ideal village would be gently rolling, but on the sea. You can see and hear the ocean from most parts of the village. Block Island, Rhode Island comes to mind. But warm year round.
Yea, I know. I just want to know what peoples preferred terrain slopes are, not the surrounding water or vegetation.

The next question is why do you like the terrain that you do?

My preferred terrain is completely flat. I like it the most because it is the easiest of all of them to work with. I am trying to retrain my brain to like flat land because of this.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:42 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,459,160 times
i like plateaus with mountain ranges and deep canyons. so im golden right now

Old 05-07-2013, 02:33 PM

933 posts, read 1,478,087 times
This is hard, I would love to live in 1,2, 3, or 5! I would have to say 2. I love how those types of mountains can dominate the skyline, but are not as imposing as the ones in 1. I believe those are the most beautiful type of mountains, and terrain in general.

Old 05-07-2013, 04:14 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
A little of everything. Terrain isn't as important as climate... I like a warm, humid climate with strong storms in the summer, with cool but not bitter cold winters... plenty of trees with rolling hills, but not something like Maine where it's nonstop forests with no end... a little farmland mixed in for good measure.. something like eastern Missouri.

Downside to this location: No natural lakes, like you get in WI or MN or along a coast (ocean)

US really has a climate and topography for just about every person, which is nice. Unfortunately there's no guarantee of finding a good job in all these great climates. I'm suck in a rather lackluster location at the moment.

I could adapt to love a dry climate in a mountainous area, such as the chinooks of eastern Colorado, a nice climate indeed.

I'm such a severe weather nut though that an ideal location for me would be eastern Oklahoma.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:25 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,520,245 times
Cumberland Plateau of Eastern Tennessee It has 4 seasons ~ waterfalls~ lakes -rivers ~ creeks ~ hills ~ and very large hills ~and knobs bigger than a very big hill smaller than a mountain and mountains. Best white water rafting in the south east~ rock climbing ~ spelunking when the caves open. Currently closed white nose syndrome has decimated the bat population.
Great for exploring so much too find here in Tennessee ~ History ~ Birds ~ Wildlife. Fishing & Hunting hiking & biking both pedal & power.
I have 16 State Parks 1 National Park 12 Wildlife Management Areas 12 TVA Dams / Lakes all with in a 2 hour drive.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Tin Man View Post
Cumberland Plateau of Eastern Tennessee It has 4 seasons ~ waterfalls~ lakes -rivers ~ creeks ~ hills ~ and very large hills ~and knobs bigger than a very big hill smaller than a mountain and mountains. Best white water rafting in the south east~ rock climbing ~ spelunking when the caves open. Currently closed white nose syndrome has decimated the bat population.
Great for exploring so much too find here in Tennessee ~ History ~ Birds ~ Wildlife. Fishing & Hunting hiking & biking both pedal & power.
I have 16 State Parks 1 National Park 12 Wildlife Management Areas 12 TVA Dams / Lakes all with in a 2 hour drive.
Sounds neat.
I've always wanted to see Tennessee!

But why do people like hills and mountains? I mean, from an economical and rational point of view, flat land looks the most sexy, but people don't seem to like it that much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature