U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2013, 03:47 PM

8,288 posts, read 15,467,883 times

Advertisements

The tic population around here is probably greater than the number of "skeeters" !! So we are seriously looking at getting some guineas but........

I haven't a clue what's needed to properly care for them. Neighbors have them but not near enough to help us out and I think it would take an enormous flock, gaggle, whatever to eat through the tick population.

So, start with city-folk moved to the country, learning step by step, slowly. Just like the pace of life around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 04:03 PM

2,187 posts, read 3,778,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
The tic population around here is probably greater than the number of "skeeters" !! So we are seriously looking at getting some guineas but........

I haven't a clue what's needed to properly care for them. Neighbors have them but not near enough to help us out and I think it would take an enormous flock, gaggle, whatever to eat through the tick population.

So, start with city-folk moved to the country, learning step by step, slowly. Just like the pace of life around here.

Hmmm.....all I know about Guineas is that when I was a kid we often went to visit my aunt and uncle who lived waaaaayyyyyy out in the country on a farm with about 125 acres. There was every kind of critter you could think of out there - and they had guineas running around with their ducks and chickens. I had gotten pecked on the head in the henhouse and to this day I am scared of chickens (unless they are covered in flour and in a skillet!!) and most other birds. The guineas were mean and would chase you all over the barnyard (they did me anyway). Aunt Sis had an outside john which I would only use if it were a dire emergency. My sister saw me go to the facility and then blocked the door so I couldn't get out. I could see the guineas all around the "facility" by looking through the cracks. If I could have gotten the door open, I would have been surrounded by the critters. I screamed bloody murder until Dad heard me and came to my rescue. My sister got a "thumpin" for that one. So, my point is, I guess they are good for something, but I'm not sure!!!! I am attaching a link I found that may be helpful: Raising Guinea Fowl

Old 05-08-2013, 04:42 PM

Thanks. I've been collecting info and still not sure we are going to do this. I'm also looking into borrowing some goats - we cannot keep up with the work.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:57 PM

35,302 posts, read 38,758,600 times
You might get 5-6 and give them a shot. They are good for controlling grasshoppers and other critters.

They are very loud and can be aggressive. Most people I've known say "never again" after they've had a few. My sister had some at the farm years ago and the coyotes got them one at a time after about 2 years.

Goats are good to control brush but the coyotes will get them also. (BTW BBQ baby goat is good to eat.) People with a lot of goats get a donkey to be part of the herd. They protect the goats from the varmints.

Congrats for a NY girl becoming a country girl. There is a lot to do. If you want the best eggs you've ever had, get some chickens.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:19 AM

LOL Rakin, we're going country not farm! Our side front acre was used for hay or wheat before we bought and the land is pretty rough, difficult for mowing even with a tractor mower. That grass/hay needs to be cut far more often than we get to it - especially with the rains we've had and the ticks and other things hiding out there are jumping on the kitties and us and getting into the house - ick (there's that city girl). Plus the back acres are all woods and brambles (I know there's blackberries out there but haven't found them yet) and loaded with ticks and skunk - at least one we saw. So, rather than fight it, we'll join in and deal with it like the country folk do - guineas - I hear they are good eating - and taste like chicken.

Had us some duck eggs a while back, might be looking at those soon - but to buy, not raise. We came here to retire!!! That's why we'd borrow some goats rather than getting our own. Goats is work! First I held a one week old baby goat, then a 2 day old baby goat. I've held tiny baby bunnies, 1 day old; and angora bunnies. I got to see a few days old piglet - noisy guys. It's nice having friends with little farms where they like to do the work and I get to visit and hold the babies. Haven't tried goat milk yet, that's on the list - might buy a share of a goat.

But for now, ticks is the problem. Spring peepers have quieted down, I guess it's time for some noise. Sometimes being hearing impaired is not so bad.

Tomorrow I'm looking into a hutch/coop/house for the guineas. If I can find a used one cheap, we'll probably get a few and try 'em out. I'm even shopping stores like the coop and tractor supply! "clackers" to "crackers" or is that quackers. <grin>

Old 05-09-2013, 06:36 AM

35,302 posts, read 38,758,600 times
I'm envious. I just hit the big six oh and sure been thinking about retiring more and more lately.

Never heard of anyone eating Guinea's but I'll bet they will do a hit to the tick population. I mentioned we were overrun with grasshoppers a few years ago and they did a good job keeping them under control.

Not sure if it will work on ticks but when working in the pastures here you can dust your legs with sulphur to keep the chiggers away. You might see if that works for ticks. Also, the more you mow around your house and keep the brush under control will help. You might need to do some kind of initial spray if it's really bad. There might be some type of natural spray.

Your next challenge may be keeping the wild hogs from tearing up your yard. They come in the fall here rooting up the lawn looking for acorns and grubs. You might have to keep a rifle on hand. They are actually pretty good eating if you don't mind messin with a nasty old hog (and ugly). We had to put up hog fencing around the house.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:26 AM

3,518 posts, read 2,892,212 times
I've heard that sheep are even better than goats at keeping brush down. They also eat everything.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I'm envious. I just hit the big six oh and sure been thinking about retiring more and more lately.

Never heard of anyone eating Guinea's but I'll bet they will do a hit to the tick population. I mentioned we were overrun with grasshoppers a few years ago and they did a good job keeping them under control.

Not sure if it will work on ticks but when working in the pastures here you can dust your legs with sulphur to keep the chiggers away. You might see if that works for ticks. Also, the more you mow around your house and keep the brush under control will help. You might need to do some kind of initial spray if it's really bad. There might be some type of natural spray.

Your next challenge may be keeping the wild hogs from tearing up your yard. They come in the fall here rooting up the lawn looking for acorns and grubs. You might have to keep a rifle on hand. They are actually pretty good eating if you don't mind messin with a nasty old hog (and ugly). We had to put up hog fencing around the house.
Luckily we don't have wild hogs here - at least not that anyone I've met has mentioned. As for a weapon, we've been trying to find me a small shotgun to keep in the house, but no one seems to have them. We have been to several gun stores and at least 2 shows. It's on our must buy list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
I've heard that sheep are even better than goats at keeping brush down. They also eat everything.
But none of our friends own sheep and 3 of our friends have herds of goats - milking not feinting.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:17 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
31,702 posts, read 57,697,940 times
My parents had one until recently when the coyotes got it, but their neighbor raises them and eats them. You would be surprised at how many bugs one can eat, very few escaped that thing on their 5 acres. Unfortunately they are one of the dumbest animals in the world. Their insisted on spending the nights on their deck, and every morning they had to hose it off. Even after a year, it would forget where the opening in the fence was and would run back and forth trying to get out of the fenced area. Also seemed to forget it can fly over the fence.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:32 PM

LOL That's what my friends said - dumb creatures but funny to watch. I watch the ones my neighbors have as I drive by - funny looking chickens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature