Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 10:21 PM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,199,389 times

Advertisements

This is no where near a huge danger for a large group of noisy kids.
Coyotes in urban settings are more bold, but they are curious and are highly interested in dogs/cats. Small kids may think it is a "dog" and attempt to get closer and/or touch which can lead to a child being bitten - this happens with the family pet as well.

A place I lived was known to have mountain lion activity - kids still played outside, they still had sports practice, family still had picnics, etc. etc.. etc..

you have to respect the environment you're in and be aware of any possible danger/threat - and teach children what to do and how to act when approached by ANY unknown animal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 11:15 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,223,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I've been around them all my life and never heard of a human being attacked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I've n ever heard of a coyote attacking a human.
Not so. In October 2009 a 19 year old woman was killed on Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia, Canada, by coyotes. At first it was believed that two coyotes killed the young woman, but later investigation now believes that there were three. The girl apparently ran from the coyotes, a dreadful mistake when facing predators, since it triggers the chase and attack instinct in them. The animals were hybrids, coyotes that in earlier generations had mated with Eastern wolves, Canis Lupus Lycaon, and had wolf dna. These hybrids tend to be nearly half again as large as our pure strain Western coyote, with males averaging a hefty 35-40 pounds, with the rare very large animal as much as 50.
www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/story/2009/10/28/ns-coyote-attack-died.html

Old 05-29-2013, 12:32 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,937,246 times
In Colorado, our coyotes are just coyotes. They do not like to get anywhere near people except perhaps an individual coyote who is sick - very uncommon occurence. I am a woman who loves to explore Colorado's back-country all on my lonesome. I don't even carry a gun. The only thing coyotes have ever done to me was to sing me a few songs in the evening from a safe distance.

The one wild animal out here which could do a person in is the cougar. They are very clever predators and you seldom see an attack coming.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:54 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Not so. In October 2009 a 19 year old woman was killed on Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia, Canada, by coyotes. At first it was believed that two coyotes killed the young woman, but later investigation now believes that there were three. The girl apparently ran from the coyotes, a dreadful mistake when facing predators, since it triggers the chase and attack instinct in them. The animals were hybrids, coyotes that in earlier generations had mated with Eastern wolves, Canis Lupus Lycaon, and had wolf dna. These hybrids tend to be nearly half again as large as our pure strain Western coyote, with males averaging a hefty 35-40 pounds, with the rare very large animal as much as 50.
www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/story/2009/10/28/ns-coyote-attack-died.html
Thank you for pointing out the difference between our Eastern coyote and the Western coyote. In almost every discussion on coyotes; people start talking about their experience with the smaller (Western) coyotes. Even with that; there still have been a few confirmed cases of human or child attack.

To me; coyotes are opportunist. They seize the moment and they will not stave to death (if given a choice). Besides that; you never know when one could become rabid.

Today; everything is a Cinderella story. People live in harmony with all creatures – that is not necessarily the case all the time.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:17 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
here you go

Coyote Stalking Lady And Her Dog - YouTube

Old 05-29-2013, 12:52 PM

954 posts, read 1,549,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post

The one wild animal out here which could do a person in is the cougar. They are very clever predators and you seldom see an attack coming.
I believe you'd want to add bears to your list. I know Colorado does not have grizzlys, but there have been incidents over the years in Colorado of black bears attacking and even killing humans.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:57 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,952,353 times
Coyotes are starting to run in packs, something not usually associated with their behavior. This was filmed some years ago when a pack of coyotes attacked a female black bear and took her cub, a very bold a difficult thing to do.

The prudent thing to do if you know there might be coyotes around is to have someone be the watch person so that things remain as you'd like them. Coyotes in natural habitats are afraid of humans but in urban areas, we're just another competitor for resources and they've lost their fear of us.

Like wolves that are playful around dogs, that is only a facade to get the dog to follow them where others can join in the feast.

Coyotes don't play fight, they are hunting for survival, something many dog owners forget when bragging how "their" dog is a match for a coyote or wolf. The proof is that you always hear about dogs disappearing when coyotes are around but rarely actually find that coyotes disappear. Coyotes and dogs do not mate. A female coyote in heat will be used to bait a dog but there is no love in the making, only lunch for the coyotes.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:30 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,542,940 times
My nephew tied their little dog out one night for his nightly "drainage" before bedtime. Went out 20 minutes later to bring him in and all that was left was the collar, leash, chunks of hair and blood. They're in a rural area and hear coyotes all the time so they know who had a midnight snack.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:42 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,377,574 times
Downtown Calgary right now has coyotes over by the Saddledome (free beer) and one of last years pups has decided that balony sandwiches don't run away, so he's over by the drop in centre every lunchhour.

I have a small scar above my left eye having caught one by hand in Edmonton as a kid.

Based on this empirical evidence and personal research I doubt coyotes would be an issue around kids, but they should be counselled not to approach them. And look out for the anvil.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:47 PM

734 posts, read 1,636,428 times
Thanks everyone for the input. My sister sent me a picture of them today and my gosh, they are so beautiful! Wildlife Rescue came and trapped them all and will release them in a less populated area. Kids are back out side for recess and sports and all is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature