Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 11:40 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,058,271 times

Advertisements

I'm just wondering if anyone has ever experienced something like this before. We currently rent a townhome in NW New Jersey. Our family room has one of those super high ceilings, with a window that goes all the way up. Outside in front of the window is a tree. This cardinal has been flying up to & fluttering at (while hitting) the window for the past 8 months. My fiance said he thought he was taking the berries off the tree & trying to maybe break them up by hitting the window, but now the berries are gone & it still does it. Just trying to figure out what the heck it's doing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 02:37 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsydevil82 View Post
I'm just wondering if anyone has ever experienced something like this before. We currently rent a townhome in NW New Jersey. Our family room has one of those super high ceilings, with a window that goes all the way up. Outside in front of the window is a tree. This cardinal has been flying up to & fluttering at (while hitting) the window for the past 8 months. My fiance said he thought he was taking the berries off the tree & trying to maybe break them up by hitting the window, but now the berries are gone & it still does it. Just trying to figure out what the heck it's doing
He is doing his macho thing! He just wants to prove he is stronger than his reflection in the window. Robins will do the same thing.

I tried everything to get rid of attacking, pooping, robins last year – they won. I tried scarecrows, plastic owls, tin pans, etc. This year I found a cure on the internet. They make a cheap ($20) deer netting to keep deer out of your garden. I simply hung this off my eves; in front of my windows. For the $20 you get a piece 100 feet long and seven feet high. It is black and fairly invisible. Just cut off what you need. Give the excess to a gardener or save it for next year. As long as the birds cannot get to their reflection they have no reason to hang around.

Or, you can simply get great pictures of a bird knocking it's brains out on it's own stupid reflection!

It will stop. Possibly after the young hatch and he has to help feed and change the diapers?

Old 05-30-2013, 06:31 PM

I thought that it might have been it all along. I haven't noticed it much in the last couple of days so maybe he's finally gone

Old 05-30-2013, 07:08 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,341,960 times
Our local nature center uses this type of window film on their windows to prevent bird collisions. From the outside it makes the appearance of the window look grayish, cutting out all reflections. But from the inside of the building, you can look straight out with no obstruction at all.

keep birds from hitting windows collision privacy energy savings film

Old 05-30-2013, 09:27 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,922,819 times
we have the exact same thing going on-only when the bird get bored with the reflective window in the back of the house- he will fly to the front and start on the mirrors of our cars and poop all over the side of the car. i might try to find some of the netting mentioned above.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:45 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
It is a male bird and he sees his reflection in the glass and thinks he is fighting another male. We actually had a bird that did this and hit the window so many times that it died.

Old 05-31-2013, 06:19 AM

Awe, I'm worried about this bird's health too My fiance is so tired of it he keeps threatening to get a beebee gun to shoot at it. I can't put anything up there to cover it because of the homeowners association & the stick up their buts.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:06 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsydevil82 View Post
Awe, I'm worried about this bird's health too My fiance is so tired of it he keeps threatening to get a beebee gun to shoot at it. I can't put anything up there to cover it because of the homeowners association & the stick up their buts.

The bird netting is almost invisible from any distance. I also think that the film that nezlie suggested in post #4 would be pretty invisible. It only has to be up until after mating season.

However; shooting at any cardinal is an offense that could cost your boyfriend big bucks. I would suggest that he checks the law before ever taking any pot shots.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:39 PM

44,355 posts, read 20,063,008 times
Every spring, a couple of male cardinals spend a few weeks attacking their reflections in the windows of my office building. It's very annoying, but they do give up and leave eventually. Our windows are coated with a film which is reflective on the outside and invisible from the inside. My church has similar windows, and several years in a row in springtime, we had a robin who attacked his reflection non-stop throughout our worship service several weeks in a row. If the sermon was ever boring, at least we had some entertainment.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:45 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
everytime I open my rented garage within 30 seconds birds fly at the thing trying to get in.. I mean EVERY TIME.. like clockwork. There are other garages open around me, yet they seem to target my garage. It's kind of funny. I don't keep it opened or anything, because it has an expensive road bike inside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature