U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 11:52 AM

10,942 posts, read 8,988,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Tin Man View Post
Don't corner a Opossum they will mock charge several times stomping their feet like a skunk. Then they will charge with snarling teeth and hissing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opossum
Well, they are wild animals and they will try to defend themselves if they are cornered.

Like someone else here posted, when I was live trapping them, they were very docile in the trap.

And the ones that I have left alone never showed any signs of aggression; in fact, we had one here that would come right up onto the back porch and eat the dog food I put out for it (this was when I had fewer dogs) and he'd just hang out with the cats, even when the kids and I were also outside. He was here for a couple of weeks and eventually just disappeared; I was actually kind of sorry to see him go.

Old 06-01-2013, 06:33 PM

24,054 posts, read 23,674,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Well, they are wild animals and they will try to defend themselves if they are cornered.

Like someone else here posted, when I was live trapping them, they were very docile in the trap.

And the ones that I have left alone never showed any signs of aggression; in fact, we had one here that would come right up onto the back porch and eat the dog food I put out for it (this was when I had fewer dogs) and he'd just hang out with the cats, even when the kids and I were also outside. He was here for a couple of weeks and eventually just disappeared; I was actually kind of sorry to see him go.
I was laying on the ground taking his photo.. Yes then can be very docile..
Native American Story about the Opossum great story for the little ones..
http://www.firstpeople.us/FP-Html-Le...-Cherokee.html

Old 06-02-2013, 04:18 PM

515 posts, read 674,423 times
I had a fellow worker tell me the same story about a possum giving birth through it's nostrils. He also told me that humming birds had no legs and they could sting you with their beaks.......lol. We used to kid him all the time about his knowledge, or lack of it, about wildlife.

Old 06-02-2013, 04:32 PM

6,191 posts, read 15,882,269 times
I have never heard the myth about them giving birth through their nose...seriously, people believe that?

I don't mind possums, I have them around the house (there's one very large, almost pure-white one I've named Fat Butt LOL) and I have live-trapped them for other people. I also helped a friend raise a litter of possum babies. They were so ugly they were cute.

The most common myth I hear is how "vicious" they are. Well they do hiss and stomp and show teeth when cornered, but that is because they are scared and they weigh about 10 lbs and a human confronting them weighs 15 or 20 times more, so you can't blame them! They are actually quite gentle and non-confrontational. If a threat gets too close, they don't back up their threat; they just play dead.

Also possums very rarely carry rabies. Their body temperature is typically too high to support the rabies virus.

National Opossum Society

Old 06-09-2013, 07:11 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,064,730 times
A few years ago I had a opossum with babies take up living in my attic. I was working with a woman who did wildlife rescue with the state at the time and she advised me to just let them be if possible and eventually they would relocate on their own. She assured me they were not dirty or destructive animals. Raccoons have caused a lot of damage over the years at my folks house so I was very concerned. Sure enough after a few months they moved on and I blocked where they were getting in...no damage whatsoever. The only sign they had been there was hair.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:00 PM
bjh

35,941 posts, read 24,735,133 times
^
That's surprising because I've known people who've had possums crap all over their garage or outdoor shed.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:13 PM

24,054 posts, read 23,674,564 times
Kleenex time !

Cat and Possums - YouTube

Old 06-10-2013, 10:37 PM

10,942 posts, read 8,988,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Tin Man View Post
Aw......that is so awesome.

Thank you or posting that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature