U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2013, 01:10 PM

2,201 posts, read 3,744,481 times

Advertisements

So now that the weather has improved I have been doing some mountain biking on the local trails, and the last couple of times I've come across turtles parked in the middle of the trail. What I did was just pick up the little fella put him on the other side of the trail in the general direction he was headed. I was just wondering is this the best way handle turtles in your way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 02:31 PM

1,699 posts, read 3,709,708 times
I always move them from the road. I walk up to the turtle and stand there for a moment, either to the turtle's side or behind the turtle. I observe how the turtle seems to react to my presence. Usually they tuck right into their shell, but once in a while one will sort of extend his neck and hiss at me before retreating into his shell! In either case I take a deep breath and telepathically communicate my intention to help not harm. (I know, I'm strange like that). I wait until the turtle tucks his head away and then I grip both sides of the shell and quickly move the turtle out of harms way and like you said, point him in the direction in which he was initially traveling. While I am moving the turtle I keep him close to the ground, I do not lift him high in the air. I have never had a turtle try to get me with his beak, however I am always prepared for that head to come out and reach around for my hand!

I wouldn't be able to leave a turtle (or any other creature) in the middle of a road to be run over. Often times when I move a turtle (or frog, or snake, or whatever) out of the path of traffic I will come back that way and check to make sure they did not return to the road. It has always worked out well so far.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:38 PM

541 posts, read 1,004,474 times
I talk to all animals and plants I encounter. I accidentally broke off a clematis stem today and apologized profusely to the plant.

So, no you are not alone

Old 06-03-2013, 04:57 PM

6,191 posts, read 15,872,690 times
I move them too.

But invariably around here they are snapping turtles (females migrating to lay eggs, and they are much larger than males) and can remove a finger or inflict a really nasty, serious bite. Also picking them up by the shell or tail is painful for them and you can actually dislocate their spine that way, so I have been told.

What I do is grab a piece of carpet or drop cloth or towel or something (I always have something like that in my vehicle) and something else - a stick, maybe - to nudge them onto the fabric. Then drag them to safety.

Once I encountered a very large snapper while walking dogs on a trail and she was headed towards a road. I couldn't move her safely, so I got her riled up with a dead branch....she grabbed it and held on so I dragged her away while she was chomping the branch. The dogs did a yeoman's job of holding a down-stay while I did that!

Old 06-03-2013, 06:17 PM

24,054 posts, read 23,660,184 times
Yes talk too the animals & plants. Mother nature listen... Some turtles mostly the swap kind not snappers soft shell be careful they can give you a nasty snip or pee or poo on you when picked up. A defense mechanism, wash your hands. The irritant if you get it in your eyes it will burn and a very bitter taste could make you vomit. Wash the hands if they do release on you. Painted Box Turtles are the best for small children too handle with adult supervision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature