Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 11:29 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,436,414 times

Advertisements

About 30 years ago, a man, age 55, told me that female opossums give birth through their nostrils, their sex act used both nostrils because the male has a forked penis. What? This grown adult man was serious, trust me. Not true, sez I. No such thing. Ever. Never. He became angry, but, my interest was where in the world did he get this notion? He wanted to know how I was so sure it wasn't true? Did I think I knew about all animals? No, but, I know how they mate and give birth. After only a little research at the library I learned it was a belief of some people apparently due to when the tiny possums are born (from the usual place), they have to find their way to the pouch on the mother's belly. Often they end up on her face, probably crawling into her nose to perhaps eventually find the way to their home pouch. I also think knowing possums are different by being marsupials added to confusion for some.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:31 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,249,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
About 30 years ago, a man, age 55, told me that female opossums give birth through their nostrils, their sex act used both nostrils because the male has a forked penis. What? This grown adult man was serious, trust me. Not true, sez I. No such thing. Ever. Never. He became angry, but, my interest was where in the world did he get this notion? He wanted to know how I was so sure it wasn't true? Did I think I knew about all animals? No, but, I know how they mate and give birth. After only a little research at the library I learned it was a belief of some people apparently due to when the tiny possums are born (from the usual place), they have to find their way to the pouch on the mother's belly. Often they end up on her face, probably crawling into her nose to perhaps eventually find the way to their home pouch. I also think knowing possums are different by being marsupials added to confusion for some.
lol

The poor 'possum has got to be one of the most misunderstood (and under appreciated) animals on this earth.

Thanks for the giggle; that was one I hadn't heard yet.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:35 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,529,748 times
That is too funny. I thought they came out of the ears. I found a newborn possum once after our dog fought with the Momma. It's eyes were still shut and it was so tiny, no more than an 1/2 inch, and it was calling for it's Mum.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:39 PM

11,412 posts, read 7,798,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
lol

The poor 'possum has got to be one of the most misunderstood (and under appreciated) animals on this earth.

Thanks for the giggle; that was one I hadn't heard yet.
Under appreciated? Have you ever dealt with a possum? I definitely did not appreciate the one that got stuck in my garage and scratched the heck out of my car. It couldn't figure out how to get out, even with the door wide open. Ugly, giant ratlike critter with bad teeth. Yuck.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
That is too funny. I thought they came out of the ears. I found a newborn possum once after our dog fought with the Momma. It's eyes were still shut and it was so tiny, no more than an 1/2 inch, and it was calling for it's Mum.
Oh, poor little thing. I don't suppose you were able to save it, were you? I would have most definitely tried, myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Under appreciated? Have you ever dealt with a possum? I definitely did not appreciate the one that got stuck in my garage and scratched the heck out of my car. It couldn't figure out how to get out, even with the door wide open. Ugly, giant ratlike critter with bad teeth. Yuck.
Have I ever dealt with *A* 'possum?

I deal with 'possums all the time while I suspect that your one and only experience has been with the one that got stuck in your garage.

Did it ever occur to you that the poor thing was terrified and was just simply trying to get out of the garage?

I'll admit they aren't the most cuddly-looking things but they do not - nor are they capable of - doing all the terrible deeds they are often blamed for.

I have had far more problems with coyotes and raccoons than I've ever had with the occasional 'possum that passes through my property.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:54 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
Opossums are marsupials which many people in the western hemisphere are unfamiliar with. I've never heard the being born through the nose though.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:01 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,220,958 times
Possums are really pretty inoffensive critters. Hissing and growling is mostly all bluff, and in a fight your cat can smack the daylights out of one. Not long ago a trap we had set in order to catch and rescue feral cats instead got one inside. The possum just sat there and looked at me, no signs of aggression as I opened the trap and watched it scurry off and vanish.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Possums are really pretty inoffensive critters. Hissing and growling is mostly all bluff, and in a fight your cat can smack the daylights out of one. Not long ago a trap we had set in order to catch and rescue feral cats instead got one inside. The possum just sat there and looked at me, no signs of aggression as I opened the trap and watched it scurry off and vanish.
Totally agree.

I don't get too many on my property anymore, probably because of having so many dogs - 'possums may not seem too bright, but I think they're smart enough to stay away from some place where there is obvious danger (well, except for roads). The odd thing is, though, that I'm not so sure my dogs would even bother them - they're used to being around lots of animals not of their own species (a few weeks ago, I went up the hill behind my house to see what one of my dogs was staring at and she was watching a mountain beaver - not bothering it, just watching it, and I think it was probably in more danger from the cat sitting on the ground next to the dog than from the dog lol).

But, in the past, I've had 'possums show up, and even hang around for a little while, never causing a problem with my chickens or ducks, and then one day they just move on (they tend to be pretty transient and not likely to stay in one place for very long).

I used to live trap and relocate them - just in case - but I stopped doing that a long time ago. Now I choose to co-exist with them.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:22 PM

11,412 posts, read 7,798,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Oh, poor little thing. I don't suppose you were able to save it, were you? I would have most definitely tried, myself.

Have I ever dealt with *A* 'possum?

I deal with 'possums all the time while I suspect that your one and only experience has been with the one that got stuck in your garage.

Did it ever occur to you that the poor thing was terrified and was just simply trying to get out of the garage?

I'll admit they aren't the most cuddly-looking things but they do not - nor are they capable of - doing all the terrible deeds they are often blamed for.

I have had far more problems with coyotes and raccoons than I've ever had with the occasional 'possum that passes through my property.
Possum is frequently used as short for Opossum, but if it makes that much difference to you, I'll include the precious O. I never claimed Opossums were capable of terrible deeds. They're just ugly and stupid. I don't care for them at all. So sue me.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Possum is frequently used as short for Opossum, but if it makes that much difference to you, I'll include the precious O. I never claimed Opossums were capable of terrible deeds. They're just ugly and stupid. I don't care for them at all. So sue me.
Hey! Calm down!

When I emphasized the 'a,' I was just implying that your experience was likely a singular one - as in:

Quote:
I had a 'possum in my garage once.
I never use the 'o' myself, preferring instead to use the apostrophe in its place - 'possum.

They are ugly and probably at least a little stupid; that we can agree on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature