U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 04:10 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,735,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmmadude View Post
Regarding the post above, I am sure that some people have considered it, but it's something that I would be weary about articulating on a public forum (to not risk spreading the idea to someone who might follow through it).
It would not be the first time somebody thought about it: Bat bomb - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia And that was seventy years ago. It is obvious that some think about using fire as a 'weapon' of war.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 08:36 AM

42,662 posts, read 76,406,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmmadude View Post
Regarding the post above, I am sure that some people have considered it, but it's something that I would be weary about articulating on a public forum (to not risk spreading the idea to someone who might follow through it).
Right. We certainly wouldn't want to anticipate an attack by an enemy, would we. As we learned on 9-11, it's much better to be caught by surprise, by a tactic that we never thought about before, never discussed on a public forum, never had a public dialog to consider the possible effects and/or ways to avert it. Never asked the government if they are thinking about it and have any plans about it, because what the government is doing is, quite frankly, none of our business.

By the way, I'm not the first person to raise this idea. Canadian author R. Scott Bakker has suggested it, among others. Canadian are not afraid of ideas.

Last edited by jtur88; 06-25-2013 at 08:54 AM..

Old 06-25-2013, 08:42 AM

7,493 posts, read 10,145,729 times
We get fires every single year where I live. I don't think so, there are too many people, not enough rain, and some forests depend on fires for natural clean-up.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:27 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,735,952 times
Going back twenty plus years; people used to be more informed about forest fires. I do know that there are still some Smokey the Bear signs still up and the fire danger is still posted. But the wind is out of the sails on that “Smokey” campaign. People don't seem to care if it is a “high” forest fire danger or “low” forest fire danger. I know that I see more people burning when there is a greater chance of fires than the opposite – perhaps they do not want to get wet?

I do think that we have fewer smokers in our Country than we had several decades ago. That could also help prevent forest fires. Careless smoking was to blame for many fires.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:11 AM

875 posts, read 1,268,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Right. We certainly wouldn't want to anticipate an attack by an enemy, would we. As we learned on 9-11, it's much better to be caught by surprise, by a tactic that we never thought about before, never discussed on a public forum, never had a public dialog to consider the possible effects and/or ways to avert it. Never asked the government if they are thinking about it and have any plans about it, because what the government is doing is, quite frankly, none of our business.

By the way, I'm not the first person to raise this idea. Canadian author R. Scott Bakker has suggested it, among others. Canadian are not afraid of ideas.
1) As I clearly stated in the first part of my post, I agree that it's probably been raised by people (that includes terrorists) before. I was stating an opinion that I (me) would be weary that I might give some low-level nut a good idea, not that you were the first person to think about it or that you risk perpetuating it to Al-Qaeda.

2) I had no idea that my post would be met with condescension and frustration. In the future I'll be sure to not present any viewpoints that differ from yours. My apologies for the offense. Lesson learned.

Last edited by NJmmadude; 06-25-2013 at 11:25 AM..

Old 06-25-2013, 12:54 PM
bjh

35,901 posts, read 24,694,536 times
Forest fires are a part of nature. It's the ones set deliberately we should be concerned about.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:19 PM

875 posts, read 1,268,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Forest fires are a part of nature. It's the ones set deliberately we should be concerned about.
Agreed.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:06 PM

49 posts, read 67,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PromisedPeace View Post
Is there any possibility to save forest from summer fires? worldwide?

The kind which start with lightening: Can many many lightning rods solve or reduce the problem

Why stop it? Why do you think these fires spread so fast and burn 100,1000, millions of acers?
When a fire is absent for years or decades, there is a mass of fuel (dead leaves, trees, ect.), a ticking time bomb where there is not much you can do, but fight back the best we can and an pray for good wheather. Great example is 89 Yellowstone fire, Great Fire of 1910, Summer 2008 California Wildfires, Wallow Fire to name a few.
These forest evolved with fire and it is mother nature way of doing some cleaning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature