U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 07:47 AM

515 posts, read 672,418 times

Advertisements

As an avid whitetail deer hunter, I've read stories and seen pics of deer that were whitetail/mule deer hybrids. This happens in the wild out west where their range overlaps but survival of the offspring is very low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 10:05 AM

4,881 posts, read 5,071,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
They are still wild animals and seeing them like this may give people a false sense of security around them. A cat that big could kill with one blow. Ligers are born with some genetic deficiencies and it is hard on the mother to birth these huge babies. A c-section is not normal in wild animals and that is what happens many times.
^^^^^
Mating between such species in the wild is RARE. The ligers were bred for their extraordinary size
as an "attraction" or I'd call it a sideshow. Then there were breeders who made tigons where
the father is a tiger and the mother is a lion. The owner of that liger, obviously cares about
Hercules, however, he is also making money off this breeding practice.
I went to the Exotic Feline Rescue Center in Center Point, Indiana and saw a liger and
a tigon. The tigon had some problems and serious problems and it was sad seeing her but at least
she is comfortable and is living a peaceful life. Their link is below...it is a wonderful place
to see ($10.00 a person). It really was amazing as well as educational.

Our Cats

For more information about ligers and tigons & why zoologists as well as other
animal experts oppose such practices is the link below.

Liger Facts - Big Cat Rescue

Old 06-27-2013, 11:44 AM

Note: Made a mistake - meant to say serious defects (instead of repeating serious problems...ooops).

Old 06-27-2013, 05:36 PM

5,547 posts, read 6,888,419 times
and growing animals to harvest organs for humans. sad to me

Old 06-28-2013, 01:03 AM

16,482 posts, read 21,687,818 times
It is not true at all there there are only about 12 ligers in the world. We used to live in S. Idaho and not far from us was a liger farm that raised and bred ligers and had a number of them.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
It is not true at all there there are only about 12 ligers in the world. We used to live in S. Idaho and not far from us was a liger farm that raised and bred ligers and had a number of them.
Out of curiosity why were they breeding ligers?

Old 06-28-2013, 05:18 PM

16,482 posts, read 21,687,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
Out of curiosity why were they breeding ligers?
I have no idea why they were raising them. I know they were not training them like the video clip on this thread. My ex worked for Fish and Game so I know they were licensed, but there were issues over the years about the safety and cleanliness at the site. I am guessing that they may have sold them or were possibly just doing it because they enjoyed it. I was always worried that one or more would get lose and begin traveling in the hills that surrounded the place, not real far from where we lived.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:20 PM

16,833 posts, read 14,718,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
That is true, but certainly not the liger.
Actually tigers and lions existed, and hybridized naturally, if rarely, in India when their ranges overlapped. The only reason they do not anymore is because humans have changed their ranges.

Hybridization is one of the rarer mechanisms of evolution.

Old 07-04-2013, 10:52 PM
bjh

35,731 posts, read 24,656,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Actually tigers and lions existed, and hybridized naturally, if rarely, in India when their ranges overlapped. The only reason they do not anymore is because humans have changed their ranges.

Hybridization is one of the rarer mechanisms of evolution.
I don't think lions are native to India, certainly not African lions. Ligers and tigons, (yes, there are tigons too), probably originated in captivity. Btw ligers are larger than their parents and tigons are smaller than their parents. Ligers, the father is a lion. Tigons the father is a tiger.

Old 07-04-2013, 11:03 PM

16,833 posts, read 14,718,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
I don't think lions are native to India, certainly not African lions. Ligers and tigons, (yes, there are tigons too), probably originated in captivity. Btw ligers are larger than their parents and tigons are smaller than their parents. Ligers, the father is a lion. Tigons the father is a tiger.
Lions certainly used to live in the same parts of India as tigers. Right now there currently are over 400 in Gir National Forest.

Asiatic lion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And they are still the same species as an African lion.

Historical reports of wild interbreeding date back to the 19th century.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or