U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 07:01 AM

912 posts, read 895,949 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this is the right thread...

I seem to have a skunk who has moved into my yard. I have 3 beagles, one has already gotten sprayed. I need to get Mr. Skunk to move on... any ideas?? At this point, I am only letting them out at night one at a time, and I am accompanying them with a large water gun and a flashlight...

I tried to do some internet research and saw suggestions for fox urine (?? where would one get that) or ammonia or moth balls. The moth balls is out, as I have 3 beagles. The ammonia thing concerns me too. I guess I'm hoping there is a magic, non toxic way of getting this guy to move on....

Anyone have any tried methods that worked?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 12:14 PM

5,721 posts, read 13,962,629 times
He's probably coming to eat the bugs and larvae in your yard. I'd suggest spraying the yard for bugs. Once they're gone, he has no reason to come back.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:54 PM

3,751 posts, read 6,422,604 times
While not an easy way of dealing with it, trap and relocate is an option. Your area's animal control or perhaps Fish & Game could get you in touch with someone who handles these things. Some pest control companies have been known to relocate skunks.

Fox urine, and other such animal deterrents can be found in feed, farm and garden stores.
Probably even online.

Old 06-22-2013, 02:46 PM

7,493 posts, read 10,154,349 times
This is better left to professionals I would say. Have animal control relocate the animal.

Old 06-22-2013, 03:05 PM

6,191 posts, read 15,872,690 times
Or look up <your state> DNR wildlife rehabilitators.
Be aware that in some states it is illegal to relocate skunks out of the county.

Skunks are great at pest control so as Trapper said it's probably clearing your yard of grubs.

Old 06-22-2013, 05:03 PM

15,971 posts, read 12,759,734 times
Don't surprise your skunk and don't let your dogs bark at the skunk and you should be fine. Skunks only spray if they feel threatened. They usually tell you that they mean business before they actually spray.

To the OP I found this pdf file on your NJ's laws: http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/r...ion_policy.pdf I know that your NJ laws are very restrictive on guns. It also was not clear on who or how you could control animals like skunks.

I like my skunks. We have reached an understanding and I let them do their thing. They are fascinating to just watch.

Old 06-22-2013, 05:07 PM

121,092 posts, read 14,927,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Don't surprise your skunk and don't let your dogs bark at the skunk and you should be fine. Skunks only spray if they feel threatened. They usually tell you that they mean business before they actually spray.

To the OP I found this pdf file on your NJ's laws: http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/r...ion_policy.pdf I know that your NJ laws are very restrictive on guns. It also was not clear on who or how you could control animals like skunks.

I like my skunks. We have reached an understanding and I let them do their thing. They are fascinating to just watch.

I have a mother skunk with her 3 kits visiting my garden every day. Sometimes the kids lay in front of my patio door and watch every move I make I posted couple of days ago in the Nature Observation Forum my encounter outside with mother skunk and her 3 kits.

Old 06-22-2013, 05:12 PM

6,191 posts, read 15,872,690 times
Last year I had a mom and two kits hanging around...they were so cute. Only one close encounter when I heard my dogs barking furiously at the fence and when I went out mama skunk was backing up, tail raised, ready to let loose to protect her babies.

Unfortunately a neighbor's dog got those baby skunks when they went into his yard.

Eliminate food source and let your dogs scare the skunk a time or two and it will move on.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:09 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,577,311 times
You can get fox urine from a trapping supply house, like PCS Outdoors or F+T Furharvesters Trading Post. I don't know if it will work. Maybe it will attract some foxes and coyotes .

Old 06-22-2013, 08:54 PM

24,054 posts, read 23,660,184 times
Relocation is the best for any wild animal. Rabies is a possibility let a professional handle it like other have said
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature