U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2013, 03:38 AM

15,912 posts, read 12,707,639 times

Advertisements

Three weeks ago my next door neighbor called me over to look at her septic system. The night before a bear had knocked off the inspection/service pipe and then proceeded to defecate only millimeters from the hole. I (jokingly) told her not to worry; the bear was obviously potty trained – but has to work on it's aim. The inspection pipe was not damaged – just knocked off.

Since then I have heard of bears digging up septic lines in another community not too far away.

So, I am asking, is this normal? Have others had problems with bears around their septic systems? What attracts bears to our septic systems – grease, fish worms or our excrement?

I also had a bear remove one piece of wood off the roof of our duck's house. It did not get in. We have sitting ducks in that house. We presume that the bear was after the eggs or our ducks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Meltzer View Post
Unbelievable! I want to see bears digging up septic lines in person. What a nice article!
Years ago porcupines were the destroyers of outhouses. They would chew up all the boards for the salt in our urine or possibly other mineral deposits. Wildlife has a nose for the minerals and salt that they need. Deer will dig holes in the ground where people put out these super mineral licks.

There is no article on this bear thing. I saw my neighbors septic and I heard (hearsay) about other septic problems. I am curious if anybody else has heard of similar problems or behavior?

Old 06-24-2013, 06:16 AM

1,463 posts, read 2,845,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Three weeks ago my next door neighbor called me over to look at her septic system. The night before a bear had knocked off the inspection/service pipe and then proceeded to defecate only millimeters from the hole. I (jokingly) told her not to worry; the bear was obviously potty trained – but has to work on it's aim. The inspection pipe was not damaged – just knocked off.
Since then I have heard of bears digging up septic lines in another community not too far away.
So, I am asking, is this normal? Have others had problems with bears around their septic systems? What attracts bears to our septic systems – grease, fish worms or our excrement?
I also had a bear remove one piece of wood off the roof of our duck's house. It did not get in. We have sitting ducks in that house. We presume that the bear was after the eggs or our ducks.
As far as I know, bears in general eat wild berries, of course honey and they like garbage. I use to live in Northern Maine and the Black Bears up there didn't come around the smaller towns like they do here in CT and as I see in PA as well. It could very well be that there is a "garbage smell" that is attracting them to the septic lines.
Last week, over towards Southington, Ct. a woman was out weeding her gardens, went inside for a break and when she looked out, there was a bear in her yard not too far from where she was working. It was a black bear and they normally are not aggressive, unless you get between them and a cub then you might have a serious issue. If you do see one, make a loud noise or bang on a pot or pan and they most of the time will run.
I do believe that the black bear population is expanding here in CT. I don't recall as a child any black bear being around in this area. Now, they seem to be migrating from up North down this way.
I truly hope that people don't start shooting them..black bear are not harmful; mostly curious.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd View Post
As far as I know, bears in general eat wild berries, of course honey and they like garbage. I use to live in Northern Maine and the Black Bears up there didn't come around the smaller towns like they do here in CT and as I see in PA as well. It could very well be that there is a "garbage smell" that is attracting them to the septic lines.
Last week, over towards Southington, Ct. a woman was out weeding her gardens, went inside for a break and when she looked out, there was a bear in her yard not too far from where she was working. It was a black bear and they normally are not aggressive, unless you get between them and a cub then you might have a serious issue. If you do see one, make a loud noise or bang on a pot or pan and they most of the time will run.
I do believe that the black bear population is expanding here in CT. I don't recall as a child any black bear being around in this area. Now, they seem to be migrating from up North down this way.
I truly hope that people don't start shooting them..black bear are not harmful; mostly curious.
If people feed them or if the bears get too destructive; our State will capture and relocate the animal two times. The first time they will put a tag in one ear and the second time they tag the other ear. The third time they will euthanize the bear. No one is doing bears a favor by feeding them and it's against the law in our State.

We are seeing more bear here in Northeastern PA than we saw twenty or thirty years ago. This year my wife and I only spotted one cub in our backyard. But; we have had signs of the larger (probably mother). The cub did not rip the board off the roof of the one small duck house. There were large, muddy, paw prints on the roof.

Part of the reason that I think we are seeing more is that there are fewer hunters every year. There is also less ground to hunt. Bear are smart and are adapting to living closer to humans.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:13 PM
bjh

35,748 posts, read 24,673,829 times
I thought bears **** in the woods.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:28 AM

16,482 posts, read 21,695,733 times
You figure bears will very happily eat the most decayed disgusting dead animals they come across, so why should a septic system deter them?

Old 06-25-2013, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
You figure bears will very happily eat the most decayed disgusting dead animals they come across, so why should a septic system deter them?
I am not sure if the bears do not smell the fat. Some of us do put more kitchen fat down the drain pipes than others. The fat tends to accumulate around baffles and in stagnate pipes. Broken pipes and vents might allow the bears to sense the presence of the fat?

But this is just speculation. I was hoping on more information/input to back up my thoughts and limited information.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:18 PM

7,103 posts, read 8,686,576 times
I think your bears are just tired of goin' in the woods...or they're just fed up with people using that old line about bears in the woods.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
I think your bears are just tired of goin' in the woods...or they're just fed up with people using that old line about bears in the woods.
You could be right! Or; perhaps they have been working for Charmin too long and are now domesticated?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or