Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2013, 12:09 AM

2,873 posts, read 5,821,977 times

Advertisements

Found this to be interesting...this woman came across a young wild raven that had several porcupine quills in its neck and the bird allowed her to extract the quills. She took the bird home overnight and released him the next morning.

Raven Rescue (Crow) - YouTube

In honor of the video, I was wondering if any members had stories of their own wild animal rescues. I had a number, including my own encounter with a wild raven. I was exiting a movie theater and noticed the people ahead of me were all slowing down at they walked through the door and gawking at something on the ground, then hurrying away. As I walked out I saw it was a raven...the entire side of the building was glass and I'm assuming he hit it. Dozens of people walked past this bird without making any attempt to help. It was a very hot summer day and he was in direct sunlight and obviously distressed by all the activity...he kept trying to fly and banging into the building. I was able to capture him and sent my friend back into the building to ask for a box. As it was Sunday night, I kept him overnight with the intent of taking him to the local wildlife rehab in the morning. However, he seemed so bright and active the next day that I decided to see if he had just stunned himself and had recovered enough to fly. I opened the door of the dog carrier I had him in and....zoom! Away he went. Absolutely gorgeous bird
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 02:58 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,689,875 times
My husband noticed a very young moose calf stuck in a wire fence with Mama on the other side, waiting for it. He pulled over, untangled the youngster and lifted the bottom wire to push it through. Not the safest thing in the world to do, but Mama let him do it without clobbering him. I thought that was pretty impressive.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:27 PM
bjh

59,731 posts, read 30,177,339 times
^
That is, and brings up what I was thinking, a frightened animal may misunderstand an attempt to help and respond by attacking.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:10 AM

1,132 posts, read 2,223,654 times
Smile A very small rescue

This is 'bird.' My former husband found it hiding under a pallet where he worked one spring day. Thinking I knew everything about animals he brought it home. That was back in the mid-90s before the internet so my resources were very limited. Fortunately my mother had some idea and suggested canary nesting food.

That worked, as did my rigging a couple of baskets suspended from the kitchen ceiling to protect 'Bird,' from our 5 cats and 2 very curious dogs. Bird quickly bonded with me and would chirp as soon as s/he, we never knew! heard my voice even over the phone. Bird was quite aggressive and never gave up biting me at feeding time however! As Bird grew I'd go into the bathroom and secure the door and allow it to hop around to strengthen its wings and legs. As soon as it was able to fly we set it free.

We were pleased to see it join the flock of sparrows outside our window and quite surprised when it returned and pecked at the window. None of the other birds had ever done that, we offered it the same nesting food on the sill, it took it and flew off. It continued to do so for the remainder of the summer.
Attached Thumbnails
Woman pulls quills from wild raven- plus any stories of animal rescues?-bird.jpg  

Last edited by Orion2; 07-17-2013 at 12:25 AM.. Reason: Forgot an important detail! Oops!

Old 07-17-2013, 10:24 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,136,679 times
I set a robin free just a couple days ago. I came across him at a vacant country house. Somehow he had gotten into a chicken coop -- one enclosed with chicken wire. I don't know how he got in, as it seemed very secure. The poor bird was frantic as he continually flew into the wire enclosure. I propped the gates open (double gates), went in and "ushered" the bird towards them until he found his way out and flew off. It wasn't a big deal, unless you happened to be the robin. It made me feel good too. When I got home I told my wife that I'd just saved a life.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:31 AM

1,132 posts, read 2,223,654 times
Very true animals may attack when being rescued. They're terrified and humans are a threat.

I lived in a large city and you wouldn't think I'd have many rescue stories but another one happened driving through a meadow - I was on my way to NYC and there are a lot of marshlands along one particular highway - when I saw a turtle crossing the road. It was a large snapping turtle. Huh.

The turtle would either cause an accident or be one so I pulled over and picked it up. The turtle was NOT happy. I didn't know they could hiss so loud, or that their feet had such long claws. Fortunately it didn't break my skin as I VERY carefully picked it up and took it to where it was heading. It tried its best to bite me but I kept my hands well out of reach knowing that if it grabbed me I'd be in the ER rather than at my appointment in the city.

Our dog also rescued a baby bird. We never figured out where he found it but it was a mocking bird. He brought it to our friend and very gently laid it in his lap. Being a lab it didn't surprise us that he was so gentle. Fortunately for that little one times have changed and I was able to take it to a wild life sanctuary where it could be properly cared for, no canary nesting food this time =)

Old 07-17-2013, 02:49 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,182,854 times
There have been times when I've stepped in while an animal was in distress. I was in a store when I saw a confused bird
on a shelf. People were just bewildered but I gently rubbed its chest, picked it up without gloves
and carried it outside to set it free.
Did that with a confused duck but put my jacket on it and carried it to a pond.
Since I'm a city dweller I don't encounter a variety of animals other than birds and stopping my car on a road to pick
up a turtle so it won't get hurt.

Old 07-20-2013, 01:27 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,566,836 times
We had a small, baby bunny fall into our pool without water, ouch. He lied there all night. We let him go in the morning--a bit of blood on his paw is all there was!
Another bunny landed in the pool, a baby bunny, scooped him out. Next morning happened again. I happened to be out again in time--but not moving when I dished him out this time. After 15-20 seconds, he started making bunny noises and wailing his feet. I put him in a neighbor's yard on the other street, w/ a fence to our house. No way is that bunny not reaching puberty on my time!

Old 07-20-2013, 04:13 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,632,337 times
My friend jess and I saved a seagull that had a hook in its wing and a bunch of monofilament.

The hard part was we had to swim out to it because it was stuck near a bulkhead.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:28 AM

23,771 posts, read 28,854,459 times
Couldn't help but think of this Johnny Rivers classic especially since we just saw him perform it recently.

Johnny Rivers- The Snake (Hollywood Palace 1966) - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature