U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2013, 10:07 AM

5,188 posts, read 3,791,515 times

Advertisements

Saw a European honeybee in 2010. First one I had seen in 20 years. This one was Italian as it sang "O Sole Mio." Just kidding. But seriously, this was a good omen; they're making a comeback, right? Wrong .... haven't seen one since then. Bummer.

Back in the 50s, you didn't dare walk barefoot in your yard if you had clover. Hell, they even liked the pathetic little flowers on plantain weed. They were ubiquitous. Now gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 11:04 AM

12,770 posts, read 10,192,596 times
No, the news is not good in the USA. I believe it's the EU that banned the manmade chemicals that are killing them, naturalnews.com is following this topic.
I have bees in the yard, especially around the periwinkle, but we are also seeing a lot of hornets.
I don't think these are honey bees. When I was hand watering, they attacked me. I got stung twice. So now I do my best to avoid them and water in the evening.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:25 PM

515 posts, read 673,863 times
I see honey bees in my yard almost every day. They especially like the white clover which makes really good honey. I noticed that their numbers were way down here a few years ago but they have made a come back in my area. About 15 years ago, I had 2 hives in my garden and for 2 years they produced a lot of honey. The third year I had them, they started dying out due to what was thought to be tracheal mites according to what I heard other bee keepers say. I lost interest after that and sold all my bee keeping supplies to a friend.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:14 PM

12,770 posts, read 10,192,596 times
Bees Dying by the Millions
Just weeks ago in Elmwood, Canada, local beekeeper Dave Schuit lost 600 hives, or a total of 37 million bees. Another Canadian farmer lost eight of his 10 hives.
The bees started dying in droves just after corn in the area was planted, an alarming red flag since corn seeds are often treated with neonicotinoid pesticides, which are known to kill insects by attacking their nervous systems.
Some governments are finally taking action against these toxic chemicals, but clearly not fast enough. How many more millions of bees have to die before protection is granted to these invaluable creatures?
For those who aren’t aware, there are about 100 crop species that provide 90 percent of food globally and, of these, 71 are pollinated by bees.1
In the US alone, a full one-third of the food supply depends on pollination from bees -- so if bee colonies continue to be devastated, major food shortages will inevitably result.
Massive Bee Deaths Are Now Becoming Commonplace
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or