Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 01:35 PM

24,495 posts, read 17,232,699 times

Advertisements

This post is pretty gross. Imagine studying a piece of poo for evidence of hair etc.. I hope this isn't a joke. LOL
I discovered some weird poo in my Moms yard this Spring which was huge! She has yellow lab, 80 pounds and this poo could have been his but I was thinking coyote. After some research and a close look at the scat it was determined it was racoon, that and she had a family of them living under her porch. I couldn't believe the size of the poop Whats a racoon weigh? 30-40 pounds??
Yours is definantly not dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 01:51 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Usually deer poo comes out in nice little round marbles. But, once in a while depending on what they are eating; they produce something similar to the OP's.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:09 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Scat id, makes me think bear..
Rocky Mts. Scat

Old 08-06-2013, 03:23 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleonidas View Post
I'd call it about 90% that you had a solitary boar of about 200 lbs. pass through.

I've never seen "scalloped" dog poo, FWIW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Scat id, makes me think bear..
Rocky Mts. Scat
^ these

Old 08-06-2013, 08:06 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,293,258 times
Thanks everyone. I think black bear is most likely. It looks a lot like the black bear scat on the right at this site: Black/Brown Droppings Identification It's weird that I can't find any evidence of its diet, except maybe a a couple insect pieces. Maybe it got into some dog food somewhere.

The trash can wasn't disturbed, but there was nothing edible in it.

Where we live I doubt a feral pig came through, and mountain lion is only a remote possibility - A bear is less scary anyway.

Hopefully the bear/bigfoot won't be a regular visitor.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:46 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,514,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
Thanks everyone. I think black bear is most likely. It looks a lot like the black bear scat on the right at this site: Black/Brown Droppings Identification It's weird that I can't find any evidence of its diet, except maybe a a couple insect pieces. Maybe it got into some dog food somewhere.

The trash can wasn't disturbed, but there was nothing edible in it.

Where we live I doubt a feral pig came through, and mountain lion is only a remote possibility - A bear is less scary anyway.

Hopefully the bear/bigfoot won't be a regular visitor.
Out of curiosity, what about your location would make black bear more likely than feral pig?

Old 08-07-2013, 12:54 PM

15,531 posts, read 10,501,555 times
I looked in my field guide and it looks exactly like Elk (slightly like a few of the other hoofed animals - antelope, etc). Apparently eating succulent stuff makes that kind of poo, so a deer is not out of the running. It might be fun to set up a night time web cam.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:41 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,514,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
I looked in my field guide and it looks exactly like Elk (slightly like a few of the other hoofed animals - antelope, etc). Apparently eating succulent stuff makes that kind of poo, so a deer is not out of the running. It might be fun to set up a night time web cam.
I'm not sure I agree with that. Elk, moose, whitetail, blacktail, muleys, etc. that are eating foods with a high moisture content (like heads of lettuce from someone's garden) will make less formed poop, but it's still just the characteristic pellet form that has been "melted" and squished together like wet skittles in the car on a hot summer day. You can still clearly identify that it's comprised of pellets and, when broken, the breaks still want to follow the lines of cleavage from the individual pellets. This doesn't look like skittles and it doesn't break like skittles, this looks like Pillsbury flakey grands.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:27 PM

15,531 posts, read 10,501,555 times
Cleonidas, I've never seen anything other than pellets from those animals either, just reporting what I found in my guide.

Scoll down, the OP's picture kinda looks like buffalo too. Doubt they have those in their yard.

Roast Buffalo and Corn... YUM! - The Society and Committee for Big 12 Expansion

Old 08-07-2013, 06:43 PM

7,098 posts, read 4,823,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleonidas View Post
I'm not sure I agree with that. Elk, moose, whitetail, blacktail, muleys, etc. that are eating foods with a high moisture content (like heads of lettuce from someone's garden) will make less formed poop, but it's still just the characteristic pellet form that has been "melted" and squished together like wet skittles in the car on a hot summer day. You can still clearly identify that it's comprised of pellets and, when broken, the breaks still want to follow the lines of cleavage from the individual pellets. This doesn't look like skittles and it doesn't break like skittles, this looks like Pillsbury flakey grands.
I'm not trying to be disrespectful, but jeez all these food references. I know that's where the scat comes from but heck I don't think of all that when I see a pile of poop, lol.

I still think it's Bigfoot. :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature