U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2013, 01:08 AM

35,391 posts, read 34,806,034 times

Advertisements

"Federal scientists investigating an unusually high number of dead bottlenose dolphins washing up on the East Coast said on Thursday the carcasses are showing up at a rate that is seven times higher than usual.
More than 120 dead animals have been discovered since June from New Jersey to Virginia, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Fisheries Service said. Although the cause has not been determined, early tissue analysis showed that one suspect could be morbillivirus, an infectious pathogen, said Teri Rowles, national marine mammal stranding coordinator for NOAA Fisheries."

U.S. declares 'unusual mortality event' as dolphin deaths rise | Reuters

Anyone see this where they live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 11:47 AM

4,881 posts, read 5,072,488 times
When it comes to dolphins and whales, I can't handle it well since they are amazing and very intelligent creatures.
I'm sure part of it must be what we as humans are doing to our waters.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:38 PM

16,833 posts, read 14,722,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
"Federal scientists investigating an unusually high number of dead bottlenose dolphins washing up on the East Coast said on Thursday the carcasses are showing up at a rate that is seven times higher than usual.
More than 120 dead animals have been discovered since June from New Jersey to Virginia, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Fisheries Service said. Although the cause has not been determined, early tissue analysis showed that one suspect could be morbillivirus, an infectious pathogen, said Teri Rowles, national marine mammal stranding coordinator for NOAA Fisheries."

U.S. declares 'unusual mortality event' as dolphin deaths rise | Reuters

Anyone see this where they live?
I live in NJ, work in marine science, and we see them dead every summer. No more than normal around here.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:32 AM

4,881 posts, read 5,072,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I live in NJ, work in marine science, and we see them dead every summer. No more than normal around here.
Then what investigation has been done in NJ (since the article included NJ) to explain that
this is seven times above the norm?

Old 08-12-2013, 10:54 AM

26,446 posts, read 25,382,758 times
could it be solnar from a sub/ship?

Old 08-12-2013, 08:00 PM

258 posts, read 360,939 times
This has been in the news here (Virginia Beach) lately as well. It seems there may be a reduction in funding for our local program (and it seems others)that responds to stranded dolphins. Incidentally I first read about this not long after seeing a whole bunch of dolphins at the beach the other week, I know we get dolphins out at the beach but I had never seen them and certainly didn't expect as many as I saw.

Here's a link to a local story:http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_n...00&status=true

I doubt it would be sonar from a ship or a sub, with the range of where the dolphins are washing up this isn't a localized occurance, if it was a ship I would expect a short term, localized spike rather than the broad increase we are seeing.

~Katy

Old 08-13-2013, 07:00 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,149,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakers View Post
This has been in the news here (Virginia Beach) lately as well. It seems there may be a reduction in funding for our local program (and it seems others)that responds to stranded dolphins. Incidentally I first read about this not long after seeing a whole bunch of dolphins at the beach the other week, I know we get dolphins out at the beach but I had never seen them and certainly didn't expect as many as I saw.

Here's a link to a local story:Funding threatened for dolphin rescuers | WAVY.com | Virginia Beach

I doubt it would be sonar from a ship or a sub, with the range of where the dolphins are washing up this isn't a localized occurance, if it was a ship I would expect a short term, localized spike rather than the broad increase we are seeing.

~Katy
I agree with that. There isn't much evidence that dolphins and whales in the Gulf of Mexico are significantly impacted by seismic surveys, which are larger in scope, longer in duration and have higher energy sound impulses.

Old 08-17-2013, 11:44 AM

35,391 posts, read 34,806,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleonidas View Post
I agree with that. There isn't much evidence that dolphins and whales in the Gulf of Mexico are significantly impacted by seismic surveys, which are larger in scope, longer in duration and have higher energy sound impulses.
Where's the virus connection (I'm thinking they still don't know)? That they are or aren't rescued has nothing to do with a virus.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:29 PM

541 posts, read 1,845,664 times
Why Are Millions Of Fish Suddenly Dying In Mass Death Events All Over The Planet? | Minds

"Millions upon millions of fish are suddenly dying in mass death events all over the world, and nobody seems to know why it is happening. In many of the news reports that are linked to below, locals are quoted as saying that they have never seen anything like this before. So is there a connection between all of the fish deaths that are now occurring all over the planet?"

Yes, BP dumping CoRexit, Japan leaking radiation and everything warming up. The water in FL has been in the 90's recently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or