U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2020, 04:09 PM

10,645 posts, read 4,839,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywinder View Post
I had 1 set of mourning doves that nested 2 eggs on a building in my carport. Only 1 survived tho. It fell out once & I put it back in the nest. They continued to nest it. I found it on the floor again & tried to help it but it flew into the trees. I don’t think it was old enough to do that. I know they do more broods in a season. My question is will they be back after losing this baby?
It was able to fly to a tree, so it was close to leaving the nest anyway. They'll probably respond to its calls and feed it wherever it ends up perching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2020, 07:35 PM

2,135 posts, read 877,482 times
Can you put up a camera for a few nights?

What animals in your area are night eaters? Ours are racoon, opossum, bear, deer, cats. See about those animals' ability/opportunity to get at your bird feeders.

Old 05-08-2020, 03:40 PM

1,558 posts, read 1,232,082 times
Get a trail camera. You'll be surprised at what's prowling around your yard at night.

Old 05-17-2020, 01:15 AM

1,181 posts, read 270,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brand050 View Post
crows are very smart! They will find a way. This pair of doves laid one egg, last month and as soon as it was laid, something rolled it off the nest and onto the ground, I put it back in the nest but soon it was gone completely, no remains. So I think it was a rat. Last week, they came back, and yesterday I noticed two eggs.
Just a few minutes ago, I heard a terrible sound and the doves were attacking a crow on the fence right next to the nest. I shouted at the crow because the doves flew away but the crow stayed. When I shouted at the crow to go away, it flew to a place where it could continue to watch me. The doves attacked the crow when it attempted to fly near, and I went out and sat on the patio but stayed clear of the nest. I hear baby birds, but could be across the street in a juniper tree, that is where I watched the crow trying to get at something. I really love nature and all creatures, but the crows outnumber people here, they are noisy, and they attack live tiny baby rabbits right in front of me. I just don't like them! The crows, rats, raccoons, and owls have to eat, but please leave my doves alone. This is their second attempt !!! I want to get my pellet gun.

Sorry about the Doves...very cool birds! Some beautiful Hooded Orioles are feeding off the pineapple guava flowers in neighbors yard consistently lately. Hummingbirds feeding off them and my feeders too. Have been putting a few table scraps out for the birds...have attracted a few seagulls and crows. Neighbor didn't like seagulls...yep, they poop a lot, noisy, and are very persistent in that they would still hang out on roof for a good 3 months after stopping feeding them. Finally gone now...putting a few table scraps on other side of property away from complaining neighbor. A pair of nesting crows (in a big star pine tree) already discovered the spot. They are very smart...supposedly comparable to a 7 year old child. Buzz me every morning when I go outside to water garden. Neat also...they won't poop on wall but actually lean over to go in the bush! I feed them where my elderly mom can see them...she said they were on the wall looking in the window this morning and actually jumped off of it and walked right up to window looking at my mom sleeping in the bed! Have a pellet gun but could never shoot them...they grow on you and are the smartest birds in the world!

https://www.cnet.com/news/how-crows-...-in-the-world/

Old 05-17-2020, 11:19 AM

3,993 posts, read 1,561,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
. ...They are very smart...supposedly comparable to a 7 year old child. ...
But now that parents are giving their kids iPhones and Tablets, it won't be long before the crows surpass them.

It's always a dilemma when one species we'd like to see around the house is preyed upon by another (which we might like to see around the house too).

We should probably take a hint from those intelligent space aliens who are always buzzing our planet: observe but don't meddle. MotherNature will work it out by herself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature