U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 10:25 PM

971 posts, read 1,234,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Many years ago I sold firewood. It amazed me how many oak trees smelled as if they were fermenting. Occasionally I would find boring grubs. But I really did not have an explanation why so many smelled like they were stressed or dying.

I do think that the gypsy moths really hurt us. But that was years after my firewood days. I also think that acid rain did not help. Right where I'm at we don't have a lot of limestone in the ground. So any acid rain is not neutralized. I think that our valleys fair better because they do have limestone deposits. That is just my speculation.

Did you ever get hit by a limb falling off a tree? They can easily break your neck. I caught the sight of one coming at me with my peripheral vision one time. I managed to get my arm up to protect my head - it still almost knocked me out. Fortunately; it does not happen that often. Like you said - stay out of the woods when the wind is blowing!

This year does not look like it will be a great year for acorns in my area - just like last year.
We have been lucky on the limbs, no injuries. Like you we sold a lot of wood and used a lot for building our own cabins and houses. In 1944 my dad bought a 640 acre farm which half of it was timber. I helped my dad cut stave bolts when I was 8 years old. My job was to guide the handle at the end of the six foot blade of our Mall chainsaw. We cut wood only in the winter on the weekend. We could usually get a truck load in three weekends to sell at the mill. Sometimes we would cut logs and winch them onto the 1 1/2 truck and take to a local saw mill to rough cut into lumber. The house my wife and I first lived in for 36 years was built out of lumber cut from our farm. All oak framework and after 36 years there was no driving a nail in it, you had to drill a smaller hole and then drive the nail in the hole afterwards. It sure didn't make any noise in a windstorm. LOL

I enjoy our chats, your mention of fermation triggered a whole new thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 02:02 PM

15,935 posts, read 12,724,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluff_Dweller View Post
We have been lucky on the limbs, no injuries. Like you we sold a lot of wood and used a lot for building our own cabins and houses. In 1944 my dad bought a 640 acre farm which half of it was timber. I helped my dad cut stave bolts when I was 8 years old. My job was to guide the handle at the end of the six foot blade of our Mall chainsaw. We cut wood only in the winter on the weekend. We could usually get a truck load in three weekends to sell at the mill. Sometimes we would cut logs and winch them onto the 1 1/2 truck and take to a local saw mill to rough cut into lumber. The house my wife and I first lived in for 36 years was built out of lumber cut from our farm. All oak framework and after 36 years there was no driving a nail in it, you had to drill a smaller hole and then drive the nail in the hole afterwards. It sure didn't make any noise in a windstorm. LOL

I enjoy our chats, your mention of fermation triggered a whole new thread.
We also have 650 acres. Although it is owned by twenty camp members and not just one family.

When we first bought our house 35 years ago; I would cut 16 cords of firewood every year - just for our own house. Here, because our forest is thin; 16 cords is just about a acre of land clear cut - minus the pine. I was working with a man clearing lots at that time. I liked to drop the trees, top them, skid them clear of the tops, cut and split them, and then I was done after I got it home and stacked the wood. I could never understand why so many people go out and cut firewood in lengths - when you figure out how many times they have to move that piece of wood (even with the fancy wood splitter) I don't think they save any energy. Of course I was in better shape when I was swinging a 16 pound Monster Maul!

Our camp's property has very few acorns this year - just like the land around our house. Just a few miles south and at lower elevations; the acorns are doing great.

I wish that I had a sawmill that would take just a few logs. Most of the mills will not touch small orders around us. I have one Black Walnut that I wanted to get to a mill and could not find one. Several years ago we did have a portable mill that was being run in our area. I had a wild cherry tree cut up and furniture made from it by our Mennonites.

So; when are you going to start a thread on Oak trees fermenting? I actually love that smell - but many are repulsed by it.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
We also have 650 acres. Although it is owned by twenty camp members and not just one family.

When we first bought our house 35 years ago; I would cut 16 cords of firewood every year - just for our own house. Here, because our forest is thin; 16 cords is just about a acre of land clear cut - minus the pine. I was working with a man clearing lots at that time. I liked to drop the trees, top them, skid them clear of the tops, cut and split them, and then I was done after I got it home and stacked the wood. I could never understand why so many people go out and cut firewood in lengths - when you figure out how many times they have to move that piece of wood (even with the fancy wood splitter) I don't think they save any energy. Of course I was in better shape when I was swinging a 16 pound Monster Maul!

Our camp's property has very few acorns this year - just like the land around our house. Just a few miles south and at lower elevations; the acorns are doing great.

I wish that I had a sawmill that would take just a few logs. Most of the mills will not touch small orders around us. I have one Black Walnut that I wanted to get to a mill and could not find one. Several years ago we did have a portable mill that was being run in our area. I had a wild cherry tree cut up and furniture made from it by our Mennonites.

So; when are you going to start a thread on Oak trees fermenting? I actually love that smell - but many are repulsed by it.
Wow fisheye, 36 cords for about 35 years sure gave you a lot more expierence of wood cutting than my memory of 3 years of cutting stave bolts. The stave bolts that was for making barrels were around 30 inches long and a minimum of 6 inches at some point across the end.

Of course you are stretching my memory back for 70 years which may be a little off by now. My folks got married when the clock was striking midnight from 1929 to 1930. They drove to California on their honeymoon and worked for 3 or 4 months and gave up on the economy. They returned to Missouri and bought a neighboring citys hunting and fishing clubhouse. Lived in the clubhouse and built two cabins by 1934 and called his place Camp Rock Haven. Christmas of '34 the clubhouse burned down while they were visiting friends on the holiday. So summer of '35 dad built a new house to live in. He built 3 more cabins in the couple of years following. A year later the cabin closest to his residence was converted to a cafe for mom the feed customers instead of in our house. To connect the house to the cafe he built 2 apartments and an office room. All built out of oak. The walls he filled with saw dust from the saw mill. The apartments and the office always smelled as fermented oak from that day forward. Some people couldn't smell it while others couldn't stand it. LOL Now I don't have to start the new thread.

Best I can recall it only took between 4 to 5 ricks of wood to heat our house for the winter but I do remember it having 3 layers of 6 inch fiberglass insulation in the attic as I had to put them there, itchey stuff!!!

I looked yesterday and not many acorns around here either but I will have to comment the the climate was the best ever for the flowering follage. The sweatpea ground cover was the best I have ever seen it along with the Iris and others. So what is good for the bloomers may not be so good for the nuts, who knows?

Last edited by Bluff_Dweller; 08-22-2013 at 12:09 PM.. Reason: correct spelling

Old 08-22-2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Wow fisheye, 36 cords for about 35 years sure gave you a lot more expierence of wood cutting than my memory of 3 years of cutting stave bolts. The stave bolts that was for making barrels were around 30 inches long and a minimum of 6 inches at some point across the end.

Of course you are stretching my memory back for 70 years which may be a little off by now. My folks got married when the clock was striking midnight from 1929 to 1930. They drove to California on their honeymoon and worked for 3 or 4 months and gave up on the economy. They returned to Missouri and bought a neighboring citys hunting and fishing clubhouse. Lived in the clubhouse and built two cabins by 1934 and called his place Camp Rock Haven. Christmas of '34 the clubhouse burned down while they were visiting friends on the holiday. So summer of '35 dad built a new house to live in. He built 3 more cabins in the couple of years following. A year later the cabin closest to his residence was converted to a cafe for mom the feed customers instead of in our house. To connect the house to the cafe he built 2 apartments and an office room. All built out of oak. The walls he filled with saw dust from the saw mill. The apartments and the office always smelled as fermented oak from that day forward. Some people couldn't smell it while others couldn't stand it. LOL Now I don't have to start the new thread.

Best I can recall it only took between 4 to 5 ricks of wood to heat our house for the winter but I do remember it having 3 layers of 6 inch fiberglass insulation in the attic as I had to put them there, itchey stuff!!!

I looked yesterday and not many acorns around here either but I will have to comment the the climate was the best ever for the flowering follage. The sweatpea ground cover was the best I have ever seen it along with the Iris and others. So what is good for the bloomers may not be so good for the nuts, who knows?
That was 16 cords (not 36!) - 16 was bad enough! I wish that I could find some of the old pictures of wood lined up for (sometimes) hundreds of feet along side of my driveway. I had some years that I would cut over thirty cords because it was available. Many homes will only burn 4 to 6 cords a year. We had electric heat with about 3800 feet to heat and poor insulation. We only burned that for about 15 years and then I put in better insulation and baseboard hot water (oil) heat. I never looked back!

I found this one forum on our fermenting oaks: http://www.arboristsite.com/homeowne...rum/138201.htm> They said that it is more of a red oak problem - I had forgotten. They did not say if it affected acorn production. I was probably repulsed by the smell the first time I smelled it? But I got used to it and now enjoy the smell.

The crows and squirrels are going after my fruit trees because we do not have the acorns. But, even if we did; the critters would still think of a reason!

Have a great day!

Old 08-24-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
That was 16 cords (not 36!) - 16 was bad enough! I wish that I could find some of the old pictures of wood lined up for (sometimes) hundreds of feet along side of my driveway. I had some years that I would cut over thirty cords because it was available. Many homes will only burn 4 to 6 cords a year. We had electric heat with about 3800 feet to heat and poor insulation. We only burned that for about 15 years and then I put in better insulation and baseboard hot water (oil) heat. I never looked back!

I found this one forum on our fermenting oaks: http://www.arboristsite.com/homeowne...rum/138201.htm> They said that it is more of a red oak problem - I had forgotten. They did not say if it affected acorn production. I was probably repulsed by the smell the first time I smelled it? But I got used to it and now enjoy the smell.

The crows and squirrels are going after my fruit trees because we do not have the acorns. But, even if we did; the critters would still think of a reason!

Have a great day!
I bookmarked your posted link for future reference. Looks like a good sorce of info. One of these days I intend to learn how to post lnks...........or not.

Thanks again for the info and memory stretch.

Old 08-24-2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:
I bookmarked your posted link for future reference. Looks like a good sorce of info. One of these days I intend to learn how to post lnks...........or not.

Thanks again for the info and memory stretch.
Just go up to your address bar and left click - that should make the whole address blue. Then right click on the address and you will have options - select copy. You could do a "cut" instead; but cut makes the address disappear (which is no big deal). Then all you have to do is "paste" ( a right click of your mouse function). Just make sure that your curser is where you want the link when you say paste - although you can drag it anyplace. Good luck!

I still don't see any acorns around our house (getting back on subject)!

PS You can do the same thing to many text documents. Except you have to hold down your left mouse button and highlight, in blue, the areas that you want to copy or cut. Just make sure to give the author credit for their work. Example: Today it said in the New York Times "...........".

Old 08-26-2013, 11:55 AM

30,474 posts, read 20,704,699 times
it looks like a pretty good year for them in the mid-atlantic region, mine have a lot. and the beech trees are loaded with beechnuts to the point of sagging branches.

i've tried eating them after soaking them repeatedly in 7-10 changes of water, but they're still too bitter. i may try that boiling method fisheye posted.

Old 08-31-2013, 09:27 AM

810 posts, read 1,208,751 times
I've been amazed at the LACK of acorns this year. I have a cabin in northeast PA, and last year the acorns there were so abundant and I had never seen anything like it. This year, there are hardly any! Strange.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:27 AM

30,474 posts, read 20,704,699 times
i think i'm going to retract what i said earlier. there were a lot falling early-on [too early] that were virtually all bad ones. the past few weeks, when they really should be raining out of the trees - nothing.

gonna be a tough year for the squirrels, especially since they experienced a population boom last year due to the bumper crop.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i think i'm going to retract what i said earlier. there were a lot falling early-on [too early] that were virtually all bad ones. the past few weeks, when they really should be raining out of the trees - nothing.

gonna be a tough year for the squirrels, especially since they experienced a population boom last year due to the bumper crop.
I have seen very few acorns where I live. My particular area has somewhere around an eleven inch rainfall deficit. Many weather systems have split and went either north or south of my location. But it has been fairly dry for many.

I also don't know if the abundance of squirrels has not hurt the acorns? Many people feed birds - but squirrels get the king size share of the food. With more food the squirrel population skyrocketed - nature abhors a vacuum. When the squirrel population gets too large; they eat fruits and nuts before they mature. They don't get as much food from immature seeds and fruit and it hurts the squirrel population in the long run - but I don't think you worry about that if you are going hungry.

I think that some squirrels even chew off the ends of healthy branches just to drink the sap? Sometimes I will have many clusters of chewed off maple tree branches on my lawn. Occasionally I will notice the same with the oak trees. I presume the maple sap might taste sweet to the squirrels; I don't know about oak sap?

Eventually, I presume, the hawk population will (hopefully) catch up with these marauders? It would be great to have another bumper crop of apples again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature