Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 07:45 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,407,418 times

Advertisements

A 'Mast Year' for Acorns? That's Nuts!

I am starting to see a few acorns on the ground - Northeast. A few years ago it was a bumper crop (mast year). Maybe we will have another one this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 03:50 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,125,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
A 'Mast Year' for Acorns? That's Nuts!

I am starting to see a few acorns on the ground - Northeast. A few years ago it was a bumper crop (mast year). Maybe we will have another one this year.

I live about six miles from my parents house. Sometimes they will have a bumper crop of acorns and we have no acorns or the other way around. Just a few miles can make a difference. Sometimes I think our trees are recovering from poor conditions the previous year?

Besides weather; I think there are many other factors. If your area was hit with a gypsy moth infestation; your trees could be weak and cut production of nuts. There are other pest that could also play a roll. If we have too many squirrels; they will eat nuts, seeds, and fruit long before it ripens. Possibly acid rain and smog could also be a factor?

I just don't think any meteorologist can paint one universal picture - just because he had an acorn in his back yard. I think that it is more complicated. But, if you generalize and not localize; he could be right?

Old 08-17-2013, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I live about six miles from my parents house. Sometimes they will have a bumper crop of acorns and we have no acorns or the other way around. Just a few miles can make a difference. Sometimes I think our trees are recovering from poor conditions the previous year?

Besides weather; I think there are many other factors. If your area was hit with a gypsy moth infestation; your trees could be weak and cut production of nuts. There are other pest that could also play a roll. If we have too many squirrels; they will eat nuts, seeds, and fruit long before it ripens. Possibly acid rain and smog could also be a factor?

I just don't think any meteorologist can paint one universal picture - just because he had an acorn in his back yard. I think that it is more complicated. But, if you generalize and not localize; he could be right?
I have a huge oak tree. It doesn't seem old, just seems huge. A few years ago, we would fill several 5 gal buckets full of acorns; and you would fill one bucket and have to fill another. The roof was getting hit by acorns constantly, thus, thus, thud.

I took buckets of them to a park and spread them around. If I knew a pig farmer, I would have given it to them to make delicious Christmas ham.

I tried making acorn meal.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:14 PM

44,348 posts, read 20,049,980 times
It looks like a pretty average year for acorns in my area. Same for black walnuts. Last year we had a severe drought and nut production was way down. I'm guessing next year we'll have bumper crops of acorns and walnuts.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
I have a huge oak tree. It doesn't seem old, just seems huge. A few years ago, we would fill several 5 gal buckets full of acorns; and you would fill one bucket and have to fill another. The roof was getting hit by acorns constantly, thus, thus, thud.

I took buckets of them to a park and spread them around. If I knew a pig farmer, I would have given it to them to make delicious Christmas ham.

I tried making acorn meal.
Next time you have a bumper crop; eat them yourself: Can People Eat Acorns? (with pictures)! Let us know how they taste? When I was younger; I tried raw acorns and would not do that again! It is a taste that you would not forget - you would have to be starving. But that article and others claim it can be done after you boil out the tannic acid.

I know that our wildlife and pigs love acorns - no accounting for taste. One hundred years ago, before the American Chestnut blight, many pig farmers would just let their pig forage for acorns and chestnuts.

I don't think my oak trees are going to produce plentiful nuts. In my immediate area it has been several years since the last bumper crop of acorns. We have had multiple problems with drought and gypsy moths and our trees are still playing catch up.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:27 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,118,685 times
I collect a small percentage of the acorns and drive them to a location where the acorns are lacking and leave them there for those animals.
I also like raw acorns.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
I collect a small percentage of the acorns and drive them to a location where the acorns are lacking and leave them there for those animals.
I also like raw acorns.
Have you ever tried boiling out the tannic acid like the articles suggest? More power to you for eating the raw acorns - I just remember a bad taste from fifty or more years ago when I tried them. Perhaps it is an acquired taste? Have a good day!

Old 08-19-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Next time you have a bumper crop; eat them yourself: Can People Eat Acorns? (with pictures)! Let us know how they taste? When I was younger; I tried raw acorns and would not do that again! It is a taste that you would not forget - you would have to be starving. But that article and others claim it can be done after you boil out the tannic acid.

I know that our wildlife and pigs love acorns - no accounting for taste. One hundred years ago, before the American Chestnut blight, many pig farmers would just let their pig forage for acorns and chestnuts.

I don't think my oak trees are going to produce plentiful nuts. In my immediate area it has been several years since the last bumper crop of acorns. We have had multiple problems with drought and gypsy moths and our trees are still playing catch up.
Great link. Thanks.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:28 PM

971 posts, read 1,452,742 times
Quote:
Have you ever tried boiling out the tannic acid like the articles suggest? More power to you for eating the raw acorns - I just remember a bad taste from fifty or more years ago when I tried them. Perhaps it is an acquired taste? Have a good day!
I agree with you fisheye, tried them once and never again.

About four years ago something killed most of my oak trees and they have been droping branches ever since. I don't mow under them if the wind is blowing. LOL

Last edited by Bluff_Dweller; 08-19-2013 at 08:40 PM.. Reason: usual spelling correction

Old 08-19-2013, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluff_Dweller View Post
I agree with you fisheye, tried them once and never again.

About four years ago something killed most of my oak trees and they have been droping branches ever since. I don't mow under them if the wind is blowing. LOL
Many years ago I sold firewood. It amazed me how many oak trees smelled as if they were fermenting. Occasionally I would find boring grubs. But I really did not have an explanation why so many smelled like they were stressed or dying.

I do think that the gypsy moths really hurt us. But that was years after my firewood days. I also think that acid rain did not help. Right where I'm at we don't have a lot of limestone in the ground. So any acid rain is not neutralized. I think that our valleys fair better because they do have limestone deposits. That is just my speculation.

Did you ever get hit by a limb falling off a tree? They can easily break your neck. I caught the sight of one coming at me with my peripheral vision one time. I managed to get my arm up to protect my head - it still almost knocked me out. Fortunately; it does not happen that often. Like you said - stay out of the woods when the wind is blowing!

This year does not look like it will be a great year for acorns in my area - just like last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature