Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2013, 05:42 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,963,076 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this should go into garden or nature, its not really a garden issue so I am putting it here. If a mod feels my question would be better answered in garden please feel free to move.

I came back from the store today to a rather large surprise growing in the backyard. I'm curious if anyone else has seen anything like it. This mushroom was white and round, and downright huge. When I picked it up it took up an entire regular plastic shopping bag, there is still holes near the handles from after me tying the bag shut. And before anyone asks, yes, I did use the bag itself to pick the mushroom up, I had 0 direct contact with the mushroom. I was not taking a chance that it was poisonous or something and ending up in the hospital.

I am just downright amazed at the pure size of this thing, I was tempted to weigh it, but didn't really want it in the house. If I was a betting man, I would have to say my guess is it weighed a good 6 or 7 pounds. It is larger than a normal soccer ball, and like I said, was almost too big for even the shopping bag. Anyone ever see a mushroom this big before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 06:59 PM

37,020 posts, read 41,072,493 times
A photo would be helpful.

As long as you don't eat it, you probably don't need to worry about being poisoned.

This is a soccer ball sized 'shroom that is edible:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAH3LCyJLSU

This variety is found in PA:

http://www.celtnet.org.uk/recipes/an...ant%20Puffball

More 'shrooms:

Common Lawn and Garden Mushrooms - AmericanMushrooms.com

Urban Mushrooms: What Mushroom is growing in MY Yard?!

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 08-25-2013 at 07:10 PM..

Old 08-25-2013, 07:20 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,651,198 times
That sounds like a giant puffball. I have a friend who has these pop up all over his yard in November. Another friend took one home and cooked it instead of turkey for Thanksgiving.
But, without a good picture, I can't say for sure if that is what it is. Most puffballs are edible, but there are a few that look similar that are toxic.
Touching it won't harm you in any way.

Some of the Boletes in my area get just as big around as a puffball. It's hard to imagine that something so fleshy like that can hold up its own weight. Those things are very top heavy.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:46 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,963,076 times
Hot damn, I think that might be what it is. I will try and get some pictures of it tomorrow to post on here. Not that I am going to try and eat it, I would want someone to actually show up here who knows what they are doing for that sort of thing.

Old 08-26-2013, 03:01 AM

16,903 posts, read 16,060,120 times
It's a shame that you picked it, but now you know how cool they are just let any in the future live. Giant puffballs. They're completely harmless and amazing. Had you let it live it would proceed to fill with spores to reproduce.
I've found them in the Catskill mountains in upper New York.
I hope you post a picture!

Last edited by rainroosty; 08-26-2013 at 04:04 AM..

Old 08-26-2013, 07:34 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,106,137 times
waiting for pics.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:51 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,434,941 times
Yes, it does sound like a giant puffball. We have them in our area. I was at someone's house once and they had one and cut it up into small chunks and make a giant pan of scrambled eggs with puffball, it was good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature