U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 12:52 PM

9,918 posts, read 21,241,387 times

Advertisements

I dunno about the virtues, but my understanding is they're not much of a problem if they're around, mostly coexisting with everything and not destructive to most of the things we might be trying to do. If you're trying to feed a cat outside, it's probably going to eat the cat food. (Ask me how I know. ) But unlike, say, a raccoon, it isn't really threatening anything.

Pretty funny that they come up while you're sitting late outside. We get them occasionally coming right up to our sliding glass door now (used to be a deck with a few stairs and I don't think they usually came up on that, but now it's a patio with only one step up). Drove my cat nuts when I had a cat. There are a few feral (I suspect) cats coming by in middle of the night too sometimes, every few days or so get positive ID of a cat or possum out there (motion activated camera), so the possums may be following the trails of the cats or something.

There's no particular compelling reason to kill or trap them that I know of. They just don't cause that much of a nuisance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 01:01 PM

2,808 posts, read 3,087,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
I dunno about the virtues, but my understanding is they're not much of a problem if they're around, mostly coexisting with everything and not destructive to most of the things we might be trying to do. If you're trying to feed a cat outside, it's probably going to eat the cat food. (Ask me how I know. ) But unlike, say, a raccoon, it isn't really threatening anything.

Pretty funny that they come up while you're sitting late outside. We get them occasionally coming right up to our sliding glass door now (used to be a deck with a few stairs and I don't think they usually came up on that, but now it's a patio with only one step up). Drove my cat nuts when I had a cat. There are a few feral (I suspect) cats coming by in middle of the night too sometimes, every few days or so get positive ID of a cat or possum out there (motion activated camera), so the possums may be following the trails of the cats or something.

There's no particular compelling reason to kill or trap them that I know of. They just don't cause that much of a nuisance.
This is what our department of conservation says. Let them alone. They cause no harm. As for the cat food, they said thank you. They are quite sure you put it out for them.

Old 10-05-2013, 02:15 PM

114,535 posts, read 55,919,791 times
There are many throughout our neighborhoods here. They live in and under our sheds and portable buildings. They're harmless as long as you don't corner them. Their first defense is to run and then play possum (for real). If cornered they will snarl and hiss but they really want no trouble. Cats mostly ignore them and dogs might chase them. They will stink up whatever they live in though.

Old 10-05-2013, 05:37 PM

17,191 posts, read 11,031,075 times
love those photos, SATX56, esp the 2nd one.

Old 10-05-2013, 06:30 PM

25,141 posts, read 30,041,038 times
My sister-in-law and brother live out in the country on some heavily wooded Georgia acres. SIL went out in the driveway and discovered what she thought was a dead possum, which she picked up and deposited under some bushes, planning to dispose of it later. She took a few steps toward the house and heard it get up and move on.

When they "play dead," they give an Oscar winning performance!

Old 10-05-2013, 06:46 PM

6,488 posts, read 7,243,305 times
When I was living in Little Rock I had a small pet door for my cats to come in and out. I kept the cat food in the kitchen and the back door with pet door was also in the kitchen. One night I was sitting in the living room reading and heard what sounded like one of my cats eating, but it was extra loud. The bowl was being pushed around and there was lots of noise. I got up to look and it was an opossum.

I grabbed my broom and tried to shoo it out the door, but he did not want to go. I put up a baby gate in the doorway to the kitchen to keep him out of the rest of the house and he just jumped up on top of it and over into my living room. After looking around for a bit he ended up in my only bathroom behind the toilet. I tried to shoo him out but he just growled and bared his teeth at me.

I made call after call to animal control, the police, the fire dept., and the non-emergency number for 911, you name it, I called it. Everyone just laughed at me about the opossum in my bathroom. After going across the street to use my neighbor's restroom I came home and tried the non-emergency number for 911 again. I talked to a guy who said he got off duty at 11PM and he would come over and remove the critter from my bathroom. Yay!

Richard arrived at my house around 11:45, caught the opossum in a trash can and took it to a wooded area a few blocks away to let it go. I invited him to come back for a beer and we ended up dating for about 6 months.

That's my opossum story.

Old 10-06-2013, 04:57 AM

2,808 posts, read 3,087,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
When I was living in Little Rock I had a small pet door for my cats to come in and out. I kept the cat food in the kitchen and the back door with pet door was also in the kitchen. One night I was sitting in the living room reading and heard what sounded like one of my cats eating, but it was extra loud. The bowl was being pushed around and there was lots of noise. I got up to look and it was an opossum.

I grabbed my broom and tried to shoo it out the door, but he did not want to go. I put up a baby gate in the doorway to the kitchen to keep him out of the rest of the house and he just jumped up on top of it and over into my living room. After looking around for a bit he ended up in my only bathroom behind the toilet. I tried to shoo him out but he just growled and bared his teeth at me.

I made call after call to animal control, the police, the fire dept., and the non-emergency number for 911, you name it, I called it. Everyone just laughed at me about the opossum in my bathroom. After going across the street to use my neighbor's restroom I came home and tried the non-emergency number for 911 again. I talked to a guy who said he got off duty at 11PM and he would come over and remove the critter from my bathroom. Yay!

Richard arrived at my house around 11:45, caught the opossum in a trash can and took it to a wooded area a few blocks away to let it go. I invited him to come back for a beer and we ended up dating for about 6 months.

That's my opossum story.
Now, there's a story. No wedding bells?

Old 10-06-2013, 07:45 AM

4,881 posts, read 5,072,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
The possums around me are pretty low key, won't even flinch when I make a loud sound.
Remember seeing this video about a raccoon and a possum.

Raccoon vs Possum - YouTube

Old 10-06-2013, 07:50 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,542,130 times
For those unaware of this old wive's tale, I will mention that some used to believe an opossum gave birth through its nose, which is where the sex act supposedly took place. It seems ridiculous, but, is true. Most likely, being unfamiliar with marsupials is what brought the belief about. In reality, when the tiny baby opossums are born, it is up to each one to find the pouch where it is to spend time growing larger. The pouch is easy to overlook and the tiny critter ends up on its mama's face to crawl in and out of her nostrils. The male's penis is forked which also contributed to the notion of nostril sex.

There is another thread where I told of this and discovered there are several websites brought up by search engines which verify the above story.

Old 10-06-2013, 08:48 AM

17,977 posts, read 12,538,913 times
The best and most comprehensive book ever written about oppossums is title, 'posums' by Dr Carl G Hartman published 1952.

I'm sure you can find a copy on amazon, cheap. It is a large green cloth hardcover book.

It covers legend, history, science, poetry......serial sections of oppossum parts, recipes, etc more than you ever wanted to know about oppossums. "possum in the simmon tree, raccoon on the ground, hey brother possum throw them simmons down...'

At J&J we has a Carl Hartman library and I just accidently happened on this book written by the library's namesake.

Check out my album for oppossum photos.

Last edited by Kracer; 10-06-2013 at 08:49 AM.. Reason: edit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature