U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 03:22 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,149,611 times

Advertisements

Possums aren't necessarily misunderstood, they're just taken at face value - which is a creepy looking marsupial with lots of sharp teeth, apparent disregard for human dominion, beady eyes, matted hair and a nasty, hairless tail covered in scutes.

Do you want to make friends with this guy?

Angry Opossum pt.2 - YouTube

I do congratulate you on your newfound connection with wildlife, however. I hate New York for that reason; no wilderness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 03:24 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,149,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
There are many throughout our neighborhoods here. They live in and under our sheds and portable buildings. They're harmless as long as you don't corner them. Their first defense is to run and then play possum (for real). If cornered they will snarl and hiss but they really want no trouble. Cats mostly ignore them and dogs might chase them. They will stink up whatever they live in though.

I often have possums in the backyard under the loquat tree when they start to drop fruit.

Old 10-17-2013, 03:34 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,120 posts, read 7,737,527 times
Not such a cute and cuddly critter if you have horses.....
The carry EPM.. Equine protozoal myeloencephalitis

Old 10-17-2013, 03:38 PM

17,160 posts, read 13,957,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timing2012 View Post
opossums are like so ugly and stuff. I don't understand why you like them. They are like ugly and they like to attack smaller animals, like birds, cats, and stuff. They are like so big and look like the ugly version of rats.

You like the LIKE, don't you?

Old 10-18-2013, 10:41 AM

4,881 posts, read 5,072,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleonidas View Post
Possums aren't necessarily misunderstood, they're just taken at face value - which is a creepy looking marsupial with lots of sharp teeth, apparent disregard for human dominion, beady eyes, matted hair and a nasty, hairless tail covered in scutes.

Do you want to make friends with this guy?
I do congratulate you on your newfound connection with wildlife, however. I hate New York for that reason; no wilderness.
I wouldn't make an attempt to befriend all possums and of course you have to be careful about being
bitten, but here's some exceptions (see links below). I think they are fascinating & cute plus they are
the only marsupial in North America.

Pet Possum Opossum Rocko - YouTube

Charlie The Friendly Possum - YouTube

Old 10-18-2013, 04:35 PM

509 posts, read 690,446 times
I had a pet opossum growing up. He was great, would walk on a harness and liked being carried around. They have the cutest little hands and feet. Many people were confused as to what he was, as they'd only seen them squished on the road before at a distance. Unfortunately they just don't live very long, even in captivity you're looking at just a couple of years

We got him as a baby. A guy my dad worked with found a bunch of baby opossums in his bathtub and searched everywhere for the mother but couldn't find her. So, my dad brought me one home because he knew how much I loved animals of pretty much any sort. He loved dog biscuits, and all sorts of veggies and fruits.

So I have a soft spot for the little guys and would probably try to befriend them if I ever saw any around here They're certainly not the smartest animals around though, lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature