U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 06:52 PM

624 posts, read 811,747 times

Advertisements

As requested...SKWERLZ! Some of my foster babies in the latter stages of their journey with me.
Attached Thumbnails
Fostering baby squirrels-1.jpg   Fostering baby squirrels-2.jpg   Fostering baby squirrels-3.jpg   Fostering baby squirrels-4.jpg   Fostering baby squirrels-5.jpg  

Fostering baby squirrels-6.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 06:54 PM

A few more pics
Attached Thumbnails
Fostering baby squirrels-7.jpg   Fostering baby squirrels-8.jpg   Fostering baby squirrels-9.jpg   Fostering baby squirrels-10.jpg   Fostering baby squirrels-11.jpg  

Fostering baby squirrels-12.jpg   Fostering baby squirrels-13.jpg  

Old 10-08-2013, 07:00 PM

TroutDude....thanks for the photos. They're great! I especially love the second to last pic, of the raccoon. I envy your experience with them. In this state I would have to get $600 worth of vaccinations and training to work with them, so it will be a while before I can consider it. You guys got your squirrels at a very young age...I was taking older ones mostly, 5 weeks and up. The ones brought to the center with their eyes already open aren't as popular with a lot of the volunteers because they're a little more of a hassle to handle. I really enjoyed earning their trust, but I do hope to get a few tiny babies next season.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:56 PM

9,552 posts, read 11,492,641 times
How adorable the all are.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:36 PM

2,434 posts, read 4,062,632 times
This is one of the squirrel babies I fostered. I wish I could still do it but I can't in my new job. In my previous job I could smuggle them in and feed them during the day. I can't really do that where I am working now. My favorite age was when they were just old enough that I could leave them at home with e feeding just at lunchtime. I would keep them in a big ferret cage in the house. I could just sit and watch them for hours playing with each other. And the cats could watch them longer. But that didn't last long and they were out to their "halfway house" in the yard where they "re-wilded" and could no longer be safely handled. That was success …. and then back to the wild they went. Probably my favorite episode came when a friend was visiting with her young family and her two kids - 5 and 2 - just were comepletely captivated by them. Even to this day the oldest, who is now about 10 I think - wants to work with animals when he grows up.
Attached Thumbnails
Fostering baby squirrels-squirrel2.jpg  

Old 10-10-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
This is one of the squirrel babies I fostered. I wish I could still do it but I can't in my new job. In my previous job I could smuggle them in and feed them during the day. I can't really do that where I am working now. My favorite age was when they were just old enough that I could leave them at home with e feeding just at lunchtime. I would keep them in a big ferret cage in the house. I could just sit and watch them for hours playing with each other. And the cats could watch them longer. But that didn't last long and they were out to their "halfway house" in the yard where they "re-wilded" and could no longer be safely handled. That was success …. and then back to the wild they went. Probably my favorite episode came when a friend was visiting with her young family and her two kids - 5 and 2 - just were comepletely captivated by them. Even to this day the oldest, who is now about 10 I think - wants to work with animals when he grows up.
Awwww...cute baby. They are all a little different, but all equally adorable.

That rough-play stage is hilarious! Good to know you used a ferret cage. My rehab center is adamant that the babies stay in the box they provide, but I couldn't stand for the little ones to miss out on play. I have 2 screen-top 30 gallon reptile tanks and have PVC pipe tunnels and homemade wooden climbing toys for them to explore on. Knowing somebody else bends the rules is reassuring. Have you ever seen a baby squirrel play with a ball? I gave my solo squirrel a cat toy ball with a bell in it...she wrestles and rolls with it several times per day.

Bummer that you can't have any more because of your job. I am at home most of the time so I can have a bunch of babies (squirrels, that is!). I'll be sad if there comes a time when I can't do this anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or