U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 06:53 PM

372 posts, read 508,697 times

Advertisements

I want to become an entomologist. I just wanted to know if anyone here studies insects or knows someone who does. It seems really fascinating to me. Yes it may be a weird career choice but it's something I'm considering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 03:39 AM

16,443 posts, read 13,551,424 times
I used to study it. It's a fascinating field for sure! I miss it. You'll have so many days of adventure, seeing the things that people tend to walk right by without seeing them.
I wonder what area that you reside?

Old 11-17-2013, 06:57 AM

607 posts, read 1,211,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatic View Post
I want to become an entomologist. I just wanted to know if anyone here studies insects or knows someone who does. It seems really fascinating to me. Yes it may be a weird career choice but it's something I'm considering.
Can't say I do, but I do know they play a very important role in society and we need entomologists just like we need chemists, biologists, etc. They all play a very important role in society. Who do you think came up with things such as bug resistant crops that significantly increases crop yields for farmers, which obviously provides a huge benefit to society? I would imagine entomologists played a huge role in developing things like this. I say go for it, regardless if people consider it "weird."

Old 11-17-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
I used to study it. It's a fascinating field for sure! I miss it. You'll have so many days of adventure, seeing the things that people tend to walk right by without seeing them.
I wonder what area that you reside?

Southeast Michigan. Yes, I am planning on getting a bachelor's in biology and then a master's in entomology. Just not sure what the job outlook is?

Old 11-17-2013, 03:15 PM

12,708 posts, read 17,302,721 times
Many years ago I had several course in entomology and invertebrate zoology while getting my degrees in wildlife management and biology. I'm quite sure it was the invertebrate courses that allowed me to enter an agency of the U.S. Department of Agriculture first as an agricultural officer at an international port of entry where a general knowledge of invertebrates was required as well the ability to use biological keys for identification purposes. Later I moved to the agency's headquarter staff where I worked in wildlife and environmental sciences primarily preparing risk analyses and assessments.

I could relate to you some of the many career doors I looked into after school but I've now been retired for over a decade and much of that information would probably not be helpful. Also I have not stayed in touch as to how biological jobs are doing in this slow economy. I will say they were very slow in the late 1970s and continued to be well into my career.

I am now away from the professional work force but I like to say I can still identify many of the organisms I encounter on my west Texas farm. If I have nothing constructive to offer here, I will offer you my encouragement and wish you the best of luck in a worthy pursuit.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:28 PM

13,051 posts, read 16,100,841 times
maybe you could get into forensic entomology, i've always thought that would be interesting.

Old 11-17-2013, 04:54 PM

27,091 posts, read 6,896,322 times
Good for you, OP! Likely many entomologist/ology sites on internet to check out regarding jobs...or local colleges for info...library too.

I took only one course in entomology while studying horticulture- loved it! Never have lost the "bug" fascination either...oh, that amazing "walking stick"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatic View Post

Old 11-19-2013, 05:10 PM

17,980 posts, read 12,556,150 times
Yep, steeped in it, but not a career direction. Useful to be exposed to the incredible life cycles, structure, chemisrty, inter relationships, medical, economic entymology, apiculture. Insects are ubiquitous and it would be ashamed to not learn about their relationship with the humans, animals, birds and other insects.

The insect world has many lessons to be taught in all aspects of existential, scientific and seemingly unrelated professions. Medical entym was my favorite. Had to do with disease and insect vectors.

Fascinating, but just part of the story required to better understand nature, of which we are an inseperable part ... not apart from.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Yep, steeped in it, but not a career direction. Useful to be exposed to the incredible life cycles, structure, chemisrty, inter relationships, medical, economic entymology, apiculture. Insects are ubiquitous and it would be ashamed to not learn about their relationship with the humans, animals, birds and other insects.

The insect world has many lessons to be taught in all aspects of existential, scientific and seemingly unrelated professions. Medical entym was my favorite. Had to do with disease and insect vectors.

Fascinating, but just part of the story required to better understand nature, of which we are an inseperable part ... not apart from.

Everyone says it is fascinating. You are lucky to have studied it for a least a little while!

Last edited by Omatic; 11-19-2013 at 08:02 PM..

Old 11-19-2013, 10:09 PM

1,964 posts, read 2,673,703 times
I have always found nature fascinating. In the insect world, I find bees and other social insects to be of particular interest. The "bee dance" that they use to communicate the location of food sources to each other never ceased to amaze me, especially in a lower life form.

I'm not sure what job opportunities are available to entomologists, perhaps in the private sector they would work for pesticide companies or as forensic experts? There they may require PhD's, but not sure. I know it isn't the same field, but I do know that the biotech and pharma industry has really seen some large layoffs in the past years of biology/biochemistry scientists. I wish you well, but stay practical!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature