U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 09:15 PM

36,498 posts, read 45,489,802 times

Advertisements

really weird stuff

Taxidermy, You’re Doing It Wrong (22 Pictures) - BANNED In Hollywood
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2013, 03:31 AM

12,773 posts, read 32,862,939 times
Sick!

Old 11-23-2013, 10:42 AM

18,764 posts, read 56,514,077 times
How about some captions? For the polar bear "Man, I gotta remember that when I party all night midwinter at the pole, night lasts a L-O-N-G time!!! Whatta hangover!"

The one under it: "Hello, can I talk to you about the Bible?"

Old 11-23-2013, 11:14 AM

2,187 posts, read 3,779,895 times
I'm sure some will think these are just hilarious, but personally it just breaks my heart that these defenseless animals died at the hands of some heartless jerk who wasted the lives of these precious animals who had as much right to live and breathe as any one of us do. Not sure it the "artists" really thought they were talented or thought they were being humorous, but I just see a tremendous waste of life. I realize this stuff happens, probably every day somewhere. Just another reason why I oppose hunting and trapping and well, just murder for any reason (unless we're talking death penalty for some crime a human committed - another thread topic, I know!!!). Sad.....

Old 11-24-2013, 12:43 PM

Animals are not "defenseless." A defenseless animal would not survive more than a few minutes in nature. You are also rather nastily stereotyping and denigrating a whole lot of people, based on your personal value system. I personally doubt the cat with (angel) wings was purposely killed, and it was more likely that the owner hoped for a different result than something so bizarre. All life dies. Anything that lives has to eventually die. If you are against death, your only solution is a world without life. Nature usually is pretty mean in how it kills.

Just so you don't feel left out of bad taxidermy as a human:

Doesn't this remind you a little of a wedding cake? It is Lenin.

Here's Joe:

More mummies:
World's Best Preserved Mummies

Old 11-24-2013, 04:24 PM
bjh

35,748 posts, read 24,673,829 times
Is there a right way to keep a dead animal around?

Old 11-24-2013, 05:25 PM

Mail it to PETA

Old 11-25-2013, 06:01 AM

15,912 posts, read 12,707,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Mail it to PETA
Just send it directly to Bill Maher! Skip the middleman.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:59 AM

2,187 posts, read 3,779,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Animals are not "defenseless." A defenseless animal would not survive more than a few minutes in nature. You are also rather nastily stereotyping and denigrating a whole lot of people, based on your personal value system. I personally doubt the cat with (angel) wings was purposely killed, and it was more likely that the owner hoped for a different result than something so bizarre. All life dies. Anything that lives has to eventually die. If you are against death, your only solution is a world without life. Nature usually is pretty mean in how it kills.

Just so you don't feel left out of bad taxidermy as a human:

Doesn't this remind you a little of a wedding cake? It is Lenin.

Here's Joe:

More mummies:
World's Best Preserved Mummies

Wasn't trying to be "nasty" or stereotyping any group of folks. Any animal in the wild when faced with a human bearing a lethal weapon - usually a rifle, shotgun, M16, bow and arrow, etc.- is absolutely defenseless. How can teeth and toenails compete with that? It's nowhere near an even match - the animal will always lose. I'm familiar with the concept of death - duh. I know about survival of the fittest, about the food chain, etc. Killing for "sport" is not in that category, in my opinion. Some of the animals in the photographs here (the three polar bears, the leopards, the brown bear, the alligators...for example) were obviously not found dead of natural causes. Somebody killed them. Another predator other than a human would have eaten them and they would not have been able to have been "stuffed". I don't consider someone in the woods with a rifle hunting wildlife as an example of how "nature kills". I absolutely understand that there are still folks that rely on hunting as their source of providing food for their families - and that is different to me than someone who hunts just for the "fun" of killing or for the bragging rights and then hanging the head on their wall. I don't mean to inflame anyone or to insult your or anyone else - but those pictures honestly made me very sad. Very distasteful and truly a waste of life. I respect both human and animal life. None of us were made to hang on anyone's walls. Sorry if I offended you Harry.....

Old 11-25-2013, 04:48 PM

I grew up in Vermont and went to school with Larry Benoit's boys. Larry recently died, but he literally wrote the book on deer hunting. There is a respect for animals amongst the quality hunters, much more so than the casual hunter who can't figure out what is a deer and what is a cow. One year, one of the boys was gone from class for two weeks. He had gone to Maine to hunt and spent ten days hunting the one buck that he wanted. He came back exhausted and ill, but he did get his trophy. It took that long for a professional to get past the defenses of that buck. FWIW, there never was a peep from the school about his missing class.

People who aren't in close contact with animals do not have the same perspective as many who do. I'll be the first to say that there are many "non-thinkers" in all camps, but those who do think and have realistic views have a lot more in common than you would suspect. The challenge is that the extremists, who are often the LEAST educated in the subject, want to take over and get support for crazy laws.

Where I take offense is simply with overarching statements that are emotional hyperbole. Those do serve to inflame and do not add substance. A person can have whatever opinion or feeling that suits them best, and as long as it is expressed clearly and solidly, like your post #9 in this thread, it adds to the conversation.

I won't defend ALL hunting, since there are some who would do better with hunting in a video game than in life, or watching the next popular show on TV. I will support hunting though, in various forms and for various reasons. There are raccoon hunters around here that do a good job of keeping the population down enough that gardens can somewhat safely grow corn, and the rabies threat is limited. I allow and encourage a couple of feral cats hunting because they catch field mice much better and faster than I can. Mice get into homes and cause fires, and when they aren't in the home they are a vector in ticks and tick borne diseases. Armadillos are an invasive species, and while I wouldn't have one mounted, I don't mind seeing them dead by the road.

I'm not a fan of brown bears, having had one tear open the top of the car my brother and I were touring the U.S. in while we slept ten feet away. Those claws are a match for many weapons. Rangers had to shoot that one as a dangerous pest.

Animals generally deserve respect. As I was writing here yesterday afternoon, I saw a buck on one of my security cams resting in our front field and three young does crossing into the forest. At these numbers, there isn't an overpopulation, and I stepped out to simply watch the buck, who watched me as well. If we were over-run, I would eat venison.

Taxidermy is a lot less common than a century ago. There is less need, since photography and video are good at recording scenes and animals. Most of those in the article looked to be old attempts from a different time and I view them with detachment, and yes, in their inept "stylings" I do see inadvertent humor and don't apologize for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or