Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 02:44 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times

Advertisements

I feed the birds year-round; I enjoy having them in my yard and my indoor cats enjoy the entertainment. In the summer I just put out basic seed in one feeder and nyjer seed in socks for the finches; in the winter I add feeders with sunflower seeds and suet cakes.

If there's snow cover, I toss some seed on the ground near some shrubs where the juncos like to hang out. They're ground feeders and won't routinely perch on the feeders. They eat all the millet that the other birds toss aside, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2018, 03:11 PM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
I threw out whole roasted unshelled peanuts today. I don't know if blue jays have some kind of communication system, but they were in the yard picking them up before I had even finished tossing them out! A couple of the cardinals got some too, so that was nice. I guess I'll have to brave the cold tomorrow and go to the store to pick up the really good seed that they all like; right now I've just got sunflower seed. The woodpecker likes the "good" seed because it has shelled peanuts in it; he'll toss other seeds out of the feeder to get to them, which is just fine with the ground feeders. It all works out pretty nicely.

Old 01-01-2018, 04:03 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
I feed the birds year round and I love feeding them and sometimes I just sit and watch them and listen and it is quite peaceful .Some people cant find that peace .

Old 01-02-2018, 08:49 AM

5,449 posts, read 4,043,852 times
I figured out a way to keep them from scattering seed (Yay, I outsmarted a bird brain!!) - I mix it with peanut butter and smear it on the feeder.

I did see a large squirrel in that tree yesterday but he avoided the feeder. There is a huge oak on the property and another across the street so I bet they are stored up with acorns. I just wish they would move out of my walls.

Old 01-02-2018, 09:06 AM

19,496 posts, read 9,525,458 times
I like feeding the birds. I get both the suet and the finch socks. It's fun for me seeing the birds chow down while I'm ironing.

Old 01-03-2018, 09:42 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Feeding anything wild, including birds is harmful.

Don't you realize that feeding creates an artificial environment just because you happen to like it? Don't you realize what you're doing? By providing food, you are making a mess out of the local environment. The birds will get along fine without your tampering.

Sure they appreciate the extra food. That makes it right? How did those birds manage to live all this time without you feeding them? You want them around so you can see them. The feeding brings them out from where they should be, away from the elements and predators.

The pure arrogance of people that feed wild animals and birds simply don't think, probably because it is all about them, not the nature they claim to like so much.
Same logic then should apply to Purple Martin boxes and Blue Bird boxes. Both species pretty much depend on man to supply housing.

Old 01-04-2018, 09:50 AM

5,449 posts, read 4,043,852 times
I just saw a hawk take a starling near my feeder. I feel bad for the starling but I love hawks and they have to eat too.

The juncos seem safe.

Old 01-04-2018, 10:13 AM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I just saw a hawk take a starling near my feeder. I feel bad for the starling but I love hawks and they have to eat too.

The juncos seem safe.
I'd rather see a hawk take a starling than a cardinal. That's not right, I know - starlings have just as much right to live too. It just seems like every time a hawk gets a meal here, it takes a cardinal. I wonder if it's because they're so much more visible than the other birds?

Old 01-04-2018, 10:17 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,093,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I'd rather see a hawk take a starling than a cardinal. That's not right, I know - starlings have just as much right to live too. It just seems like every time a hawk gets a meal here, it takes a cardinal. I wonder if it's because they're so much more visible than the other birds?
Around here, Mourning doves don't stand a chance. Once in a great while a Red bellied will get nailed also.

Old 01-04-2018, 01:54 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,156,308 times
As LIcenter notes, we usually see the morning doves get taken by hawks, here in NH county, CT.

But here is a something cool we see quite often... A couple of our blue jays have got the call of a hawk down pat. They will come flying in, calling out like a hawk. All the sparrows, junkos, cardinals, titmouses, doves and nuthatchers will scatter pdq.

Then the blue jays settle down and eat with no competition. Works every time.

LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature