Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 08:17 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times

Advertisements

Here, in Northeast PA, we had about a foot of snow with a half in crust of ice. Then we had another 10 to a foot on top of that snow.

Our deer are trying to stay on our paths and roads. I saw some of them close up and their legs are bleeding from that ice crust. I have a friend, at work, that left his dog 'play' outside to find that his dog had cuts on his legs.

If you have a pet; make sure they stay inside until conditions improve. Also; watch out for deer standing in the roads because they do not want to jump into the snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 04:48 PM

734 posts, read 1,636,169 times
All true, even here on LI. The deer didn't even come around for a time there. Now the crust has softened but there is a lot more snow on top so you go half way down then fall through another 8 inches. Dogs can actually break their legs from trying to romp and falling through. Geez- the darn crust even cut my boots up!

Old 02-17-2014, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J5K5LY View Post
All true, even here on LI. The deer didn't even come around for a time there. Now the crust has softened but there is a lot more snow on top so you go half way down then fall through another 8 inches. Dogs can actually break their legs from trying to romp and falling through. Geez- the darn crust even cut my boots up!
I walked within six feet of five deer that did not want to get off the plowed path I was on. On three, of the six, I could clearly see blood and scabs on their legs. They finally jumped into the snow at the last second and then just made a quick bypass to get back on the path. If I encounter them again I will try to get pictures. They are trying to finish off any rhododendron around our house - there isn't too much left right now!

Old 02-17-2014, 07:40 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,986,182 times
Cuts heal. This isn't the first time these conditions have happened. Dogs and deer didn't go extinct last time. Or the time before that. Or the time before that.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:09 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times
True, cuts do heal, but it doesn't hurt to caution people about watching out for deer...it is a huge inconvenience to hit a deer, then rent a car, then wait for car repair, insurance coverage, etc. And while this particular winter, isn't the worst for me, as I'm 65, young people do not remember cold hard winters that seemed to last for months on end. I remember when our harsh winters here in PA started in December, and snow, Lord, we had more snow then then we have now, which lasted until March....so for me, and a whole lot of people my age, this harsh winter we're having is nothing new....nor is it the harshest we've ever experienced.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Cuts heal. This isn't the first time these conditions have happened. Dogs and deer didn't go extinct last time. Or the time before that. Or the time before that.
Yes they do heal - if the animal is healthy and can get to food. The deer that rely on handouts and eat our shrubbery will probably live to see another day. Deep woods deer might not.

Back in the 1950's and 60's our Game Commission used to encourage the hunters to provide food for deer during harsh winters. They liked hunters to drop hay or (preferably) cut and bend over maple trees (in the warmer months) to provide browse for the deer. Anymore it seems nobody really worries if a few starve to death. But times change and attitudes change.

I just don't like to see animals suffer and these conditions make them suffer. That's nature - there will be winners and losers.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Yes they do heal - if the animal is healthy and can get to food. The deer that rely on handouts and eat our shrubbery will probably live to see another day. Deep woods deer might not.

Back in the 1950's and 60's our Game Commission used to encourage the hunters to provide food for deer during harsh winters. They liked hunters to drop hay or (preferably) cut and bend over maple trees (in the warmer months) to provide browse for the deer. Anymore it seems nobody really worries if a few starve to death. But times change and attitudes change.

I just don't like to see animals suffer and these conditions make them suffer. That's nature - there will be winners and losers.
wise way to look at things, back in the day, my now ex belonged to a hunting club, they used to feed the deer corn, however, once you start, you must continue feeding them corn the rest of the year, and I forget what the reason is, but they will die if you don't.

Would you know why?

They always said, nature has a way of taking care of it's own, and it is horrible to say, but if we have a tough winter, the weak die out, the doe, will not have more then one baby in the spring, but a mild winter, encourages growth and more survival. Yes, nature surely does have a way of taking care of business....the most fascinating thing I've ever heard is this.....

When those crazy catapillars (gypsy Moths) multiply and attack our trees, I found out, they may be bad, really bad, one year, but the trees themselves, develop and give off a poison that kills these gypsy moths, and the cycle starts all over again, until once again, the gypsy moths over many years redevelop and attack all our trees again, the trees develop a poison to kill them off.
That is the same with climate and climate change, it is all about cycles...reoccuring, some worse then others some mild, and some not so bad.m

Just saying, not contradicting anything you've posted, just thinking out loud so to speak. ;0)

Old 02-17-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Would you know why?
Here is one article on why not to feed deer corn in the winter: Feeding corn to deer could be death sentence - Farm and Dairy.

I did like the comments after the article. One comment pointed out that deer have been hanging around corn field since we started farming - they should all be dead! Think of all of the deer corn sold in stores all over the country. In many states we are allowing deer corn to be sold right through hunting season - even though it is against state law to feed or bait deer (go figure).

I never heard that about gypsy moths and our trees developing a defense against them. I'll have to check that out. I know my ducks developed a taste for gypsy moths - if they could only fly up and grab the ones off the trees!

Old 02-18-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Here is one article on why not to feed deer corn in the winter: Feeding corn to deer could be death sentence - Farm and Dairy.

I did like the comments after the article. One comment pointed out that deer have been hanging around corn field since we started farming - they should all be dead! Think of all of the deer corn sold in stores all over the country. In many states we are allowing deer corn to be sold right through hunting season - even though it is against state law to feed or bait deer (go figure).

I never heard that about gypsy moths and our trees developing a defense against them. I'll have to check that out. I know my ducks developed a taste for gypsy moths - if they could only fly up and grab the ones off the trees!
YES, but like the other comment pointed out and it is true, all the corn in the U.S. has been genetically altered? Makes sense? I'm going back, oh, maybe 23 - 25 years, the hunting club used to buy ears of corn and go up to our club and lay it all out for the deer, however, I was told that if you started doing so, you shouldn't stop, and the article you posted explains why. Thank you

Old 02-18-2014, 12:20 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,948,491 times
Feeding in lots of places has been banned, for good reason. Lots of people shoot over feed lots. And perhaps more importantly it can promote density and potentially the spread of CWD (of course in some places they den up densely in deer yards, but that is area dependent).

I wouldn't worry about the deer. Yeah, some die. It won't go to waste. We supply them with enough food as it is and we promote their habitat (edge) as it is. There are more deer now in North America by most estimates (do to this edge and agriculture) than when white men first landed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature