Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2013, 09:15 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times

Advertisements

This is a very touching picture. Wonder if she knows this cow will probably be on someones table soon. It was taken at the NY State Fair.

I always feel so sad for 4H kids when they get so attached to their pet projects. I'm sure they are warned the animal is not really a pet and will be sold eventually.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 09:17 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,346,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
This is a very touching picture. Wonder if she knows this cow will probably be on someones table soon. It was taken at the NY State Fair.

I always feel so sad for 4H kids when they get so attached to their pet projects. I'm sure they are warned the animal is not really a pet and will be sold eventually.
They know. I was a 4-Her. It's still sad the first couple of times. The only way to get a docile animal is to spend a lot of time with it.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:45 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,671,533 times
Very cute picture for sure.
There is a different mindset with kids when they aquire and project animal. In 4H or FFA, it's known before aquiring the animal what will happen to it. However, not all project animals go to market.

My daughter raised a pig for an FFA project. She had a lot of fun with the pig, he was funny, but also yummy. She had no issues with its 'end'.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:07 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
My dad raised cattle for 4-H, and had a hard time with giving them up after raising them, to the point where he encouraged other activities for my siblings and I rather than 4-H. None of my siblings or I did 4-H or FFA, despite growing up rurally and having most of our peers participating in one or the other, if not both. Kind of a shame, since there are lots and lots of great 4-H activities that have nothing to do with raising livestock that would have been fun and beneficial. FFA, I wasn't really interested in, since I never planned on going into farming, but 4-H, by this point, has expanded way beyond animal husbandry-related stuff. It focuses on much broader youth development, leadership, citizenship, etc.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:28 AM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,382,128 times
My parents grew up when people still slaughtered some of their meat. As my mother has said, "Don't make friends with dinner."

Old 12-19-2013, 07:19 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,197,833 times
Quote:

That's a heifer from a milking breed, a "red" Holstein or maybe an Ayrshire or Guernsey, so she'll be in a milking herd for several years before she goes off to become steaks or hamburger.

Farm kids learn the "reality" of livestock early on, almost by osmosis, which is why I never did livestock in 4-H, but stuck with horses.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:06 AM

23,596 posts, read 70,391,434 times
Quote:

While it is a momentary stress, it is also a normalization of responses to life on earth and death that will serve the child in the future. Parents who provide children with short-lived pets, such as hamsters, unknowingly provide a similar lesson albeit in a smaller fashion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature