U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2014, 09:07 PM

6,591 posts, read 21,662,785 times

Advertisements

see im NOT anti-zoo. zoos are one of those "nessicary evils" in my opinion, unfortunately we as humans tend to be much more likely to love and protect the thgns we connect with and most people cant connect with something they only see a picture off...
zoos realy do provide a great way for people to get up close, learn and become connected.

now are all zoos good, absoultly not
are they all doing a good job, oh heck no...
but I cant condem them (heck I worked as a keeper in a small private zoo)

but I try to only go to zoos that have more "naturalistic" enclosures, enclosures with small viewing areas and lots of cover for the animals so there not comstanlty on "the big screen" zoos that promote natural behavior positive renforcment enrichment (toys, training designed ONLY to assist in medical care and keeper safety, ect...)
theres some zoos I absolutely adore, and some that should be bulldozed to the ground and buried forever...

I understand the purpose of zoos, and I truly belive that without zoos there would be even more species vanished from the face of the planet and on the endangered lists....education is key, and allowing children to see these animals up close in GOOD zoos is huge for promoting the future existence.

but I will NEVER agree with keeping animals the size or orcas and lions in cages the equivalent of bathtubs and prison cells. and ill never agee with these animals being forced to perform day after day year round and PRETENDING these are "normal" and "natural" behaviours...
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 02:51 PM

9,226 posts, read 14,724,330 times
I just watched it. SeaWorld can suck it.

Old 01-14-2014, 05:59 PM

436 posts, read 1,372,449 times
I watched it a couple weeks ago and I almost wish I hadn't. Ignorance is bliss, you know.

I always thought that seaworld only took animals that were wounded and couldn't be returned to the wild for some reason or another. I never imagined that they actually went out there and caught wild animals just for their park and forced them to live together. That's like taking a bunch of strangers from different countries, where they all speak different languages, and sticking them all in a house together and calling them a family and forcing them to live together until they die. Humans wouldn't like it anymore than the whales would. It's such a shame. We went to an area zoo last summer where they had a polar bear in a small enclosure. The whole time we watched him he just swam around in circles. He looked so unhappy. The guy who worked there said the bear was bored and stressed which is why he was acting that way. That makes me so sad. If the people who work there KNOW the animals are unhappy how can they just continue to work there and support a place like that?

We always loved going to aquariums and zoos so this is a disappointment. I have never liked circuses though. I've always thought it was wrong for animals to be kept in a circus environment.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:10 AM

4,881 posts, read 5,081,104 times
^^^^agree and an excellent point about the circus too. I went to a cat sanctuary where they had cages that the big
cats were housed in. Absolutely horrendous (just like they imprisoned the orcas in those small tanks).

Old 01-15-2014, 10:40 AM

5,081 posts, read 13,284,776 times
Orcas are still hunted and killed by members of some coastal tribes. They say it's part of their native tradition into manhood. The men used to make special canoes for the hunt and use sacred harpoons. Now they use power boats with deck mounted .50 caliber machine guns.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:19 PM

4,881 posts, read 5,081,104 times
On the Makah whaling issue

first nations
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or