U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 08:57 PM

659 posts, read 1,004,026 times

Advertisements

I pray it is not under my deck. Crawl space is locked up so I know it is not there. Smell is awful, last I check duct work to furnace was all sealed nice and tight but I will check again tomorrow. Wonder if skunk is attracted to compost bin it's sealed and it's below freezing so I just don't know.

Such a horrid smell!!!

I will sprinkle cayenne pepper tomorrow in the morning seemed to work before so I hope it make the little bugger sneeze a go elsewhere.

Not interested in trapping and releasing or killing it/ them. Just want it to move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 09:48 PM

7,280 posts, read 4,999,410 times
I used to live in Minnesota. There's a regional dish called "lutefisk," which is basically pickled fish. We found that to be effective at keeping skunks away.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:55 PM

Thanks for the tip

Old 01-25-2014, 05:40 AM
Status: "We will overcome COVID-19. America will prevail!" (set 5 days ago)

48,851 posts, read 38,806,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnityJAX View Post
I pray it is not under my deck. Crawl space is locked up so I know it is not there. Smell is awful, last I check duct work to furnace was all sealed nice and tight but I will check again tomorrow. Wonder if skunk is attracted to compost bin it's sealed and it's below freezing so I just don't know.

Such a horrid smell!!!

I will sprinkle cayenne pepper tomorrow in the morning seemed to work before so I hope it make the little bugger sneeze a go elsewhere.

Not interested in trapping and releasing or killing it/ them. Just want it to move on.
I couldn't help but laugh hard at the thread's title. Forgive me.

I wish you well in ridding that obviously rancid odor at your place.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:13 PM

15,912 posts, read 12,707,639 times
Chances are that you have grubs in your lawn or you are putting food scraps in your compost. Also; skunks do not spray for no reason - do you let your dog run? Sometimes you can have conflicts with raccoons or other scavengers for a food source - that will also lead to the spray.

People pay a lot of money to remove grubs from their lawns - skunks do it for free. I like skunks and as long as I don't surprise them; I don't have the smell.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:52 PM

734 posts, read 1,427,113 times
I like skunks too. Used to actually pet them in the back yard when I lived in Pa.
I was brought up in NH and we had a family of skunks that used to winter under our house. Every once in awhile, my Dad, who liked to lay on the floor to watch his favorite shows (Red Skelton, The Fugitive, etc.) would jump up say 'OMG they did it again!" He would get the first whiff coming up through the floor. Of course, the next day I would go to school and kids would be commenting on how they thought they smelled skunk. I would join them in this dilemma and no one ever caught on that it was on my clothes. LOL Good old days, huh?

Last edited by J5K5LY; 01-30-2014 at 09:01 PM..

Old 01-30-2014, 08:59 PM

Skunk gone
though I saw a few as road kill a half mile away
road kill ones stink too

not sure about grubs it's been below freezing for days

compost in tact with only proper scraps in place
earth machine brand compost bin keeps critters out

did sprinkle cayenne pepper and chili powder all around

Old 01-31-2014, 12:43 AM

12,773 posts, read 32,862,939 times
Moth Balls Go buy a box or to then spread the around under the house Keep Skunks Snakes & other creatures away. Too bad the skunk got killed Trap & release far away would have been better IMO

I had one as a pet was very friendly & loved playing with the dogs!

Old 10-11-2014, 12:35 PM

Skunks continue to come and go
came home late one night to find one sashaying off my deck like it owned the place
may have been bugs in my flower pots that it liked
cayenne pepper seems to work
will try moth balls next

we don't have any pet but cats visit and a possum is occasionally spotted plus rabbits a bit more often
given the trenches we encounter in our yard on occasion we also have a mole or two

we try hard to coexist with nature and her critters which is why we don't exterminate but the smell of skunk spray is horrid

thanks all for your suggestions, thoughts and laughs

Old 10-14-2014, 08:56 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
31,713 posts, read 57,719,597 times
Here the county animal control will lend "live traps" for capturing and relocating wildlife, and it's helpful in the case of bothersome racoons or opposums. While it would work for a skunk, transporting it to some far away woods could be a little
problematic. We once had our dog sprayed, and I ended up being the one to do the tomato juice baths, so I am very familiar with the pungent aroma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature