Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 12:16 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,421,387 times

Advertisements

SEBRING, Fla - An 81-year-old Sebring woman is behind bars tonight for repeatedly feeding black bears at home after being warned to stop by a judge multiple times.

Mary Musselman, of 5240 Kenilworth Boulevard, is now facing charges ranging from violating probation to battery on a law enforcement officer.

A judge ordered Mary Musselman arrested for feeding bears at her Sebring home; warned to stop twice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 03:45 AM

14,785 posts, read 23,969,550 times
Battery on a law enforcement officer at 81 I highly doubt that and sounds like an officer wants to doctor up a police report ....

Old 02-02-2014, 04:09 AM

16,891 posts, read 16,014,960 times
Her property is completely surrounded daily by people tearing up the environment with their ATVs. If she must stop helping the bears to survive then the judge should order the ATV riders to stay far away from that land. Plain and simple.

Old 02-02-2014, 08:47 AM

3,634 posts, read 3,753,201 times
Not a fan of ATVs for recreation. Also cannot support feeding bear at one's house. Not doing the bears a favor and, though I'm willing to let this woman make her own foolish choices, she's desensitizing the bears to humans and putting them and other people at risk of harmful interactions.

Finally, she doesn't get a pass from me for being aggressive toward a cop regardless of her age.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:22 AM

1,174 posts, read 2,503,296 times
Feeding bears isn't acting in their best interest. I think that's actually depriving them of their "bear-ness". Black bears are like coyotes - their habitat requirements are pretty flexible and they can make a living just about anywhere. What kills black bears is loss of their human avoidance directives; animal advocates who willfully neglect the law are not required for their well being and, in this case, was actually counter productive.

Old 02-03-2014, 01:13 PM

13,498 posts, read 18,101,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
Not a fan of ATVs for recreation. Also cannot support feeding bear at one's house. Not doing the bears a favor and, though I'm willing to let this woman make her own foolish choices, she's desensitizing the bears to humans and putting them and other people at risk of harmful interactions.

Finally, she doesn't get a pass from me for being aggressive toward a cop regardless of her age.
Ditto. I am not weeping great salt tears for this woman. The authorities went the extra mile with her and then some.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:46 PM

734 posts, read 1,630,342 times
I feed a lot of animals. When I lived in Pa, where there was a huge bear population and they roamed the neighborhoods on a regular basis. I refrained from feeding them. I think they are magnificent creatures and wouldn't want to do anything to jeopardize their well being. Problem is, if this woman has formed an emotional bond with the bears, it's difficult for her to stop. I feel really bad for her as she probably thinks they can't survive without her hand-outs. I know it has to be breaking her heart, even though it is unfounded.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:11 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,148,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Her property is completely surrounded daily by people tearing up the environment with their ATVs. If she must stop helping the bears to survive then the judge should order the ATV riders to stay far away from that land. Plain and simple.
What the hell do ATV riders have to do with some old lady feeding bears? They aren't forcing this woman to feed the bears are they? Furthermore, unless they are riding on public land, no judge can order them to stop, only the owner of the property.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:04 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,417,213 times
They stopped her for her own safety.

Autopsy: Bear Killed Woman who Fed Animals - CBS News

Old 02-03-2014, 07:13 PM

312 posts, read 1,369,613 times
This is a good time to remember that people are told not to feed bears for many reasons, one of the main one noted is "for their own safety" because we all know A Fed Bear is a Dead Bear, however, just because an animal may not pose a threat do you, or be looked at as majestic, no wild animal should be fed that people normally feed. Deer? It may not tear your tent up like a bear, or t-rex, but you feeding it still habituates it and destroyes the animals life. I'm glad to see they are taking action on this and I hope the woman learns a lesson and no one get's hurt in the process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature